Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Steelers not ruling out return of Ben in '22

  1. #1
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Steelers not ruling out return of Ben in '22

    Pittsburgh Steelers not ruling out return of Ben Roethlisberger in '22

    Brooke Pryor
    ESPN Staff Writer

    PITTSBURGH -- Ben Roethlisberger's contract automatically voids at the end of the 2021 season, but Pittsburgh Steelers team owner and president Art Rooney II isn't ruling out a return by the quarterback in 2022.

    "It's not written in stone that this is his last year," Rooney told a small group of reporters at Steelers camp Tuesday.

    At the same time, though, Rooney acknowledged it could also very well be the quarterback's final season.

    "We're aware this could be Ben's last year," he said. "We hope it's a great one. That's as far as we can go with it right now. Obviously, if this is his last year, then next year we'll be making decisions on a quarterback, and we'll address it as the time comes up."

    Roethlisberger, 39, signed a new contract with the Steelers in the spring, taking a $5 million pay cut and lowering his salary-cap hit by more than $15 million.

    "It was a very unselfish move on his part," general manager Kevin Colbert said. "It made him available for 2021. Beyond that, none of us know. We'll just work with 2021 and see where it goes from there."

    Roethlisberger himself also won't look beyond the 2021 season.

    "I'm going to approach this like I do every season -- like it's my last," he said in June. "I think that's the approach you have to take. And you don't approach it that way because it could be your last, but you approach it because every single play in the game of football could be your last. Every game could be your last game. That just means I'm going out to give it everything I have.

    "I have never looked towards the future. I've always looked at the right here and now, and that's what's important for me for this season is giving it everything I have right here and right now for this group of guys."

    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...lisberger-2022

  2. #2
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Pittsburgh Steelers not ruling out return of Ben Roethlisberger in '22

    Brooke Pryor
    ESPN Staff Writer

    PITTSBURGH -- Ben Roethlisberger's contract automatically voids at the end of the 2021 season, but Pittsburgh Steelers team owner and president Art Rooney II isn't ruling out a return by the quarterback in 2022.

    "It's not written in stone that this is his last year," Rooney told a small group of reporters at Steelers camp Tuesday.

    At the same time, though, Rooney acknowledged it could also very well be the quarterback's final season.

    "We're aware this could be Ben's last year," he said. "We hope it's a great one. That's as far as we can go with it right now. Obviously, if this is his last year, then next year we'll be making decisions on a quarterback, and we'll address it as the time comes up."

    Roethlisberger, 39, signed a new contract with the Steelers in the spring, taking a $5 million pay cut and lowering his salary-cap hit by more than $15 million.

    "It was a very unselfish move on his part," general manager Kevin Colbert said. "It made him available for 2021. Beyond that, none of us know. We'll just work with 2021 and see where it goes from there."

    Roethlisberger himself also won't look beyond the 2021 season.

    "I'm going to approach this like I do every season -- like it's my last," he said in June. "I think that's the approach you have to take. And you don't approach it that way because it could be your last, but you approach it because every single play in the game of football could be your last. Every game could be your last game. That just means I'm going out to give it everything I have.

    "I have never looked towards the future. I've always looked at the right here and now, and that's what's important for me for this season is giving it everything I have right here and right now for this group of guys."

    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...lisberger-2022
    I've said it all along. I think if he has a good year, and escapes any serious injury, there's no reason why he wouldn't come back.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

    2012 MNF Executive Champion






  3. #3
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    I've said it all along. I think if he has a good year, and escapes any serious injury, there's no reason why he wouldn't come back.
    It's just as reasonable to go out on a high note rather than risk injury and a lackluster following season.

  4. #4
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    if Ben Mason and Haskins all return again next year, does that mean we don't draft a QB early?

  5. #5
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    if Ben Mason and Haskins all return again next year, does that mean we don't draft a QB early?
    I would think that if the team brings back just Haskins and Mason in '22 then they likely won't go QB in the first because they see something there between the two of them and want to give them a chance to show it before starting new with a high pick.

  6. #6
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I would think that if the team brings back just Haskins and Mason in '22 then they likely won't go QB in the first because they see something there between the two of them and want to give them a chance to show it before starting new with a high pick.
    This is what I hope happens...unless we have a terrible year and pick very early.

  7. #7
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    I can't help but think a large factor in if Ben returns will be based on the play of the OL. He was so elusive early in his career but those days have past. If he takes to many heavy hits this year , even if the team is real good, I would believe he hangs them up. And if he does that's okay it was a great ride!

  8. #8
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    This is what I hope happens...unless we have a terrible year and pick very early.
    We'll see. We have a full '21 season to go through before considering what has to be done at the QB position in '22. Anything can happen.

  9. #9
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Mark Kaboly
    @MarkKaboly

    Roethlisberger 3 picks today in teams. Not a good day

    https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly/statu..._&ref_url=
    Only a true coward puts someone on ignore on a message board.

  10. #10
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Ben could be year to year at this point. Steelers win the Superbowl or Ben plays poorly and it's probably a wrap for Ben.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •