Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Steelers Making a Case for Themselves

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Denmark is a fascinating developmental project. Converting from WR, he only had one year of DB experience. I mean the guy is bigger and faster than Sherman. From what I'm reading he had horrific cover skills but displayed solid tackling and bump skills. If he can develop he could be very special. Tons of potential.
    Ok, this dude has GOT to stick.

Forget "baby Gronk" Freiermuth.

I'm calling it now-

Stephen (LITTLE RICHARD) Denmark.

(Yes he will hate it more than Freiermuth but too bad).

Last edited by Captain Lemming; 08-02-2021 at 11:24 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    I think Samuels time in the NFL has gone. Last year he looked slower than Betty White running on a beach with Army boots on.
    Are the army boots filled with quick-dry concrete? That does make a difference.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    It is interesting that word was out we had interest in Denmark before the 2019 draft. Steelers Depot did a write-up on him and coverage skills in college did not seem to be an issue.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/03/20...ephen-denmark/

I think his newness and weak competition were his issues in college. He was all conference (albeit weak conference) which ain't happening if he was horrific in coverage.

Perhaps you are talking about struggling in coverage in practice on pro teams he's been on? I would not be surprised if that was the case at all. He would have stuck if he did well. He would need to get used to elite competition.

Agree though, like a more athletic Sherman...even kinda looks like him dreads and all.
    I believe it was the scout for NFL.com that stated "his film is hard to watch" when referencing his raw cover skills. I personally don't know because I haven't ever seen the guy play.

Legend

User Info Menu

pretty interesting story for Denmark.... .hasn't had a chance to show much. Let's hope Colbert hit gold

.... from the Bears.. (forgot D. Townsend is their secondary coach....)

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/be...ob-competition

Mystery Over Stephen Denmark's Position Ends
    Seventh-round draft pick from last year will compete at left cornerback with Kyle Fuller after a year when he was so inactive he was nearly invisible
    GENE CHAMBERLAINUPDATED:JUL 11, 2020ORIGINAL:JUL 9, 2020
    The great Bears mystery of the secondary has been solved.

At least it seems this way.

During a Zoom conference with media, secondary coach Deshea Townsend revealed where Stephen Denmark actually plays.

This might seem like a matter of looking at a roster but the Bears' website is no help because it lists positions in the secondary as DB, for everyone from safety to slot cornerback to cornerback. There is no official depth chart posted until after training camp has been rolling.

If Denmark could be seen practicing during the regular season it would be obvious, but the team's seventh-round draft pick last year was on the practice squad and media isn't allowed to see anything beyond some running and stretching and a couple of thrown passes during the regular season.

Finally, clarity when Townsend was discussing how the cornerbacks and Kyle Fuller all will be competing.

"You know, Kyle's job is to hold off Denmark," Townsend said. "It's Denmark's job to take Kyle's job. So we should have a whole room of competitors who think they're starters. That's what I believe in, that's what I was taught⁠—if you're a starter, you better hold guys off. If you're not a starter, your role is to be a starter, and that's the competition we want in the room."

So Denmark will be behind Kyle Fuller at left cornerback.

It might seem a simple assumption, but after the Bears drafted Denmark a vague reference was made to his height and even being a possible safety with great height like Merton Hanks was for San Francisco.

Denmark has always been a cornerback, at least since his senior year at Valdosta State.

It's before that when the 6-foot-2, 217-pounder was playing wide receiver. Then he converted and came to the Bears' attention.

Denmark's big attraction is a collection of times, heights and distances. Besides his height and weight, he ran a 4.4-second 40-yard dash at a pro day, had an incredible 43 1/2-inch vertical leap and ran a three-cone drill in less than seven seconds.

He's an athlete who quite literally didn't have a chance to show anything on the field in his first season and now will look forward to competing when camp begins.

Denmark did not play a minute in preseason due to an ankle injury and then was cut before being added to the practice squad.

At the time of Denmark's selection, GM Ryan Pace said: "His ability to stay calm on a deep ball and get his head around with poise and track the ball is very intriguing."

So Denmark will be trying to become a cornerback with great size and leaping ability and it makes sense.

No one ever said he could tackle well and he'd need this to be a safety, especially if called on in run support.

The competition for Denmark is more from behind in the form of Michael Joseph, and beside him.

Some of those competing at right cornerback could probably flip sides and keep him off the regular roster again. Artie Burns and Kevin Toliver II, in particular, have the experience for this type of maneuver.

Nevertheless, it's on Denmark now to show he can win at the spot he's placed⁠—now that everyone knows where this is.

Stephen Denmark at a Glance

Valdosta State CB

Height: 6-foot-2

Weight: 217

Key Numbers: Denmark had 30 receptions and three touchdowns in his first three years as a wide receiver, then made three interceptions and a forced fumble in his one year at Valdosta State as a cornerback.
    EDIT: come to think of it, just maybe Deshea gave his ex-team a heads up on Denmark. His word would mean something in the Steelers org.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 08-02-2021 at 12:51 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Denmark really is an interesting prospect. Steelers.com has him listed at 62 / 217 lbs. Drafted in 7th rd by Bears in 2019.

4.46 40-yard, 43.5 Vertical at his pro day.

Valdosta St (Valdosta, GA, near the GA-FL border), - His only season on D he had: 55 tackles (8 for loss) & 3 interceptions. Won the Div II National Championship.

Another reason Im rooting for this kid is Cleveland signed him to their practice squad for 1 month and let him walk.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    pretty interesting story for Denmark.... .hasn't had a chance to show much. Let's hope Colbert hit gold

.... from the Bears.. (forgot D. Townsend is their secondary coach....)

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/be...ob-competition

EDIT: come to think of it, just maybe Deshea gave his ex-team a heads up on Denmark. His word would mean something in the Steelers org.
    This makes sense.

I'm sure they all still talk.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Actually, we had strong interest before he was drafted.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...esday-nfl-news

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Actually, we had strong interest before he was drafted.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...esday-nfl-news
    Thanks Captain. Didn't catch that. Also interesting the conflicting 3 cone drill times. The writeup I posted said he timed under 7 sec. but his RAS says 7.4. That's a big difference.

Legend

User Info Menu

came across this early in the offseason after we signed him.

warning, the youtuber can be a little hard on the ears and he also tends to talk up the players as if he was being paid to do so

Legend

User Info Menu

Right on que...from Alex K on the YouTubes today:

Despite the thumbnail, it's an update on camp in general. It starts with a Mason vs. Haskins discussion.

Brief notes:
    - Thinks Haskins is pushing for QB2 more than he though. Still thinks Mason gets the #2 spot as of now, but thinks Haskins has a shot based on play to date.
    - Harris looks good. Thinks A.McFarland will be the backup. Thinks Ballage has looked pretty good, especially in backs on backers...thinks maybe could challenge Snell. [I think this is odd. I still think Snell would be the workhorse if anything bad happens to the rook]. J Samuels has been hurt, probably out.
    - Sutton and Claypool have good competition for jump balls (I think this looks good for Sutton).
    - Bussey has looked good as a sleeper. Although his biggest play was a blown coverage (bomb from Haskins).
    - Freiermuth looks good. TEs all look goot catching. Freier not looking bad against Highsmith (which I think is a good look for Freiermuth).
    - OL: Green good athleticism. Lots of injuries / missed practices. Want starters to pay more to gel.
    - DL: Looks like a good competition for the end of the roster spots here.
    - LB: Highsmith looks good. Thinks he'll start (with Ingram still getting a fair number of snaps). Caveat on Highsmith is that his big plays that people are talking about seem to come against rookies. Bundage looks interesting.
    - Pierre looks very good. Around the ball and comes down with it a fair number of times.
    - Denmark looks good / very interesting. Great athlete. Good body type. In competition for the end of the roster.
    - Layne made a play, but in general isn't looking as good as lots of the others. Outside looking in?
    - Harvin looks great when he's on, but less consistent than Berry.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 08-02-2021 at 04:29 PM.