Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Haskins as the future. What could that mean?

Legend

User Info Menu

Haskins as the future. What could that mean?

First let me state a disclaimer. Yes, I am a Buckeye fan. Yes, I have a dude crush on Haskins. And yes, I have some bias. With that out of the way lets talk some football.

I have historically been an OSU QB hater. I despise run first QBs. I prefer pocket QBs with mobility. Urban Meyers is an overrated coach. He is gimmicky, stubborn and his football mind doesn't translate to the pro game. If he has success in Jacksonville it will be because of Trevor Lawrence. It won't be because Meyers is an elite coach. He is an elite recruiter who can draft within a system that works in college. Meyers stubborn nature showed when he kept JT Barrett (a horrific college QB) as the starter over Haskins. Keep in mind Meyers had Burrows and Haskins as back ups to JT Barrett.

I digress. Haskins was incredibly inexperienced with the one year played, yet he dominated. He didn't do it by running. He set records that won't be broken for many years. His accuracy was pinpoint. His deep ball was ridiculous. While not being mobile, the way he moved in the pocket and sensed pressure was surreal. Haskins was NEO in the Matrix. He was the first true blue NFL franchise QB that ever graced the field of the Shoe. He is the first of many more to come due to a real coach in Ryan Day.

Now that I have laid the foundation let me tell you why every Steeler fan should be rooting for Haskins. Not only does he have franchise QB level gifts, but he is cheap. He will be cheap for at least 3-4 seasons. This means you can build a team around him. We will not have to spend a draft pick on a QB. We can build around Haskins. We need to give him an OL and that will come in the next draft. He needs time to grow up. Let me ask you something. Who here has never needed a second chance? Who here has never done dumb young man nonsense? You have members here holding Haskins to standards of 40 year old wisdom. I can speak personally on this and I needed grace at 33. It took me many years to grow up. I'm so glad that people invested in me. Tomlin is that guy. Let me tell you why Tomlin is a great coach. I seen it through his numerous accolades. But, I was most impressed when he talked about getting to know Haskins as a person. He invested. He asked questions. He made Haskins feel accepted. Coaching a football team isn't that much different than doing what I do. Its about people. Its about investing, motivating, and developing. Haskins didn't have the healthiest of childhoods. Being the prodigal child of an overbearing father never allows for emotional maturity. As soon as I heard Washington drafted him I knew it would be a disaster. He needs structure, acceptance, purpose, and family. Give Haskins that? And watch out. I am predicting Haskins will replace Ben and do it well. I think Tomlin is a genius in the fact that he seen a missing piece and attempted to fill it. How do you develop an immature generational talent? Invest, get to know, and even father that young talent.

My prediction is that Haskins becomes the face of the Steelers organizations. So many fans of him are afraid to say that. I'm not. He is the real deal. And he is with the right organization.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I am too, a huge Buckeye fan. I agree with your post. Playing Barrett the way Meyer did was unbearable. Even when they won the National Championship it wasn’t Barrett but Jones with 3 great games. We lost Burrows due to his love of Barrett.

I hope Haskins does succeed for all the reasons you mentioned.

Legend

User Info Menu

I’m a Buckeye alum and I am rooting for Haskins. The kid has a ton of talent and I hope he can put it all together in Pittsburgh. Time will tell.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    I am too, a huge Buckeye fan. I agree with your post. Playing Barrett the way Meyer did was unbearable. Even when they won the National Championship it wasn’t Barrett but Jones with 3 great games. We lost Burrows due to his love of Barrett.

I hope Haskins does succeed for all the reasons you mentioned.
    What Chuck? I've been posting with you for years. How did I not know this about you?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    What Chuck? I've been posting with you for years. How did I not know this about you?
    I don’t know, buddy. I’ve followed the Buckeyes probably since 1972, back to Cornielus Greene days. Seen some great players over the years go thru the ‘shoe.

I think Fields may end up being a decent NFL QB as well. Good days ahead with Ryan Day.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don’t know, buddy. I’ve followed the Buckeyes probably since 1972, back to Cornielus Greene days. Seen some great players over the years go thru the ‘shoe.

I think Fields may end up being a decent NFL QB as well. Good days ahead with Ryan Day.
    I have been on the fence with Fields. So I really dug deep and watched all the film again, I can't hate on him. He isn't quite the passer that Haskins is, but he has so much mobility it closes the gap. I would agree. He will be successful.

Legend

User Info Menu

Buckeye QBs get a lot of flack, and it’s deserved, but Ryan Day is killing it. First Justin Fields and now has Stroud and McCord (both 5 star recruits). I won’t even mention Quinn Ewers who is a generational prospect waiting in the wings.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

John Cooper, great recruiter, couldn’t coach worth a damn.

Ironically he was hired because he beat Michigan in a bowl game. Was dismal against them at OSU.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    Buckeye QBs get a lot of flack, and itís deserved, but Ryan Day is killing it. First Justin Fields and now has Stroud and McCord (both 5 star recruits). I wonít even mention Quinn Ewers who is a generational prospect waiting in the wings.
    Did Evers commit other than verbal?

Legend

User Info Menu

Did Evers commit other than verbal?
    Only a verbal but shut down his recruitment, so he’s solid. Rumors that he may reclassify to the 2021 class. Stay tuned...some news may be coming soon on him.