Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The End is Near

Legend

User Info Menu

The End is Near

While I was one that didn't want Roethlisberger back this season it was more because of his post-season fails. Now we have to question whether he can really get it done in season. The writer says some blame needs to go to the org on this and I agree that they stick with players too long, for better or worse. Better to get rid of a player one year too early than one year too late;

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...-week-4-picks/

NFL insider notebook: Analyzing the Steelers' options with aging Ben Roethlisberger, plus Week 4 picks
    Jonathan Jones' weekly look inside the NFL
    Jonathan Jones

By Jonathan Jones

The end is coming quickly for Ben Roethlisberger, and we know the why.

His arm is cooked. His mobility is nil. His patchwork offensive line, put together in the draft and free agency with very little money to spend, can neither support an average run game nor sustain a pass block for longer than 2.5 seconds.

The "how" is going to be more difficult.

The way this ends in Pittsburgh will be difficult. I spent this week asking sources around the league why this didn't end back in March, when the Steelers could have cut Roethlisberger and moved on.

"It's hard to see good players get old," one league source said.

"They have never moved on from their players at the right time and their contingency plan isn't the answer," another texted.

"Because they really believe he can still play," one said. "He has way too much control over there."

Ben Roethlisberger
    PIT • QB • 7
    CMP%
    YDS
    TD
    INT
    YD/ATT

Roethlisberger has the Steelers at 1-2 heading into Green Bay this weekend. With Denver, Seattle and Cleveland following, it's possible the Steelers don't see another win until November.

It's easy to pile on the Steelers right now and dance on Roethlisberger's career grave. That's not what I'm trying to do here. The signs were obvious last year that Roethlisberger didn't have the physical traits capable of carrying Pittsburgh any longer, but he was their best option on a depth chart with Mason Rudolph and Joshua Dobbs.

The Steelers could have cut Roethlisberger back in March but instead agreed to a significant pay cut for him to return as the unquestioned starter. It was a mistake then and it's even more clearly a mistake now.

Roethlisberger has lost six of his past eight starts and is averaging 6.1 yards per attempt in that span. The Steelers offense hasn't scored points in the first quarter of a game dating to Week 11 of last season. And Pittsburgh is the only team in the NFL this season to not have first-quarter points when holding the time of possession advantage.

But what can they do? If there was too much fear in cutting Roethlisberger following a playoff season, there's probably too much fear in benching him midseason. The Rooneys saw how that went over in the twilight of Eli Manning's career within a proud Giants organization and won't want to repeat that, even if it's the right thing to do.

There's no starting quarterback the Steelers could reasonably trade for right now. The 2022 draft class doesn't exactly scream "Day 1 starter." And with how rookie quarterbacks from a much better 2021 class are currently struggling, thinking the answer is in the first round of 2022 looks even more foolish right now.

Roethlisberger has played through endless injuries in his career, and if this season continues to spiral, the Steelers could place Big Ben on injured reserve with a real or conceived injury. It'd be the most gracious thing the team could do to its first-ballot Hall of Fame quarterback, especially since appearances are important.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree that we stuck with Ben too long.

I think we should have ripped off the band aid.

But that's not how the org is run. And it's probably a net positive.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I agree that we stuck with Ben too long.

I think we should have ripped off the band aid.

But that's not how the org is run. And it's probably a net positive.
    short term it’s frustrating, long term its a
    positive for the way we treat franchise HOF QB’s.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    100% agree.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I understand what you mean. And I think there's truth to it.

But I'm not sure many franchise QBs will look at this and say "I'd love to be at the end of my career behind that OL". We brought him back, but he's not in a position to succeed.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

My biggest issue is when Ben does have time to throw & a WR is wide open long, he almost always misses him. With all the other offensive problems we currently have that can't happen & is BURYING US!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LPMAN View Post
    My biggest issue is when Ben does have time to throw & a WR is wide open long, he almost always misses him. With all the other offensive problems we currently have that can't happen & is BURYING US!
    Very much true.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90’s held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Legend

User Info Menu

"The BENd" is indeed near.

We can all agree- it was a good run.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 10-03-2021 at 02:15 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Given that our O has no chance of even getting a FG on the board in the 1st Q, maybe our mental health will improve if We start watching games in the 2nd quarter.

By then we probably have a good idea where the game is going and we wouldn’t have to get our hopes up for a win unnecessarily.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yep. We should have ripped the bandaid off and went with Mason this season. We would at least know what we have going into the 2022 Draft. But totally understand the organization not wanting to kick their best ever QB to the curb. Tough spot. Just need to hope things come together and if they don't they don't. Then we look forward to the draft
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"