Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Uh-Oh Line?

Legend

User Info Menu

Great to hear what Alalalu says about Green. High praise on his athleticism and ability to move.
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Legend

User Info Menu

I know it's early but I'm starting to panic a bit. Most of what I am is hearing is tragic. Ben will be R.I.P. by game 2-3 if we don't get some guys back and give them a chance to gel.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I know it's early but I'm starting to panic a bit. Most of what I am is hearing is tragic. Ben will be R.I.P. by game 2-3 if we don't get some guys back and give them a chance to gel.
    I heard that Mason Rudolph rolled out of the pocket into the same defenders arms on 2 consecutive plays.

They said it wasn’t the OL’s fault, he just has terrible pocket presence.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Not shocking. And if these guys don't start getting on the field together they will slide into that #32 spot:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking...ng-2021-season

31. PITTSBURGH STEELERS
    With three new starters up front, Pittsburgh's offensive line enters 2021 with its most question marks in years. The unit regressed to 17th in our final 2020 rankings after years of exemplifying the way offensive lines should be built ó with solid starters and limited weaknesses in the starting lineup.

Chukwuma Okorafor moves from right to left tackle after grading out at 57.4 overall last season, ranking 74th out of 84 qualifying tackles. It was Okoraforís first year as a starter, and while weíve seen linemen make jumps in Years 3 or 4, he needs to take big strides this season.

The right tackle spot is manned by Zach Banner, who has shown power in the run game despite seeing just 302 snaps since entering the league in 2017. Banner has proven to be below average in pass protection during his limited time as a pro.

Former starting center Maurkice Pouncey retired, and while his on-field play has generally underwhelmed compared to his hype, he did provide stability up front for the Steelers. J.C. Hassenauer and third-rounder Kendrick Green will compete for the starting spot. Hassenauer graded out at 57.7 overall on 303 snaps last season, while Green ranked near the top of the draft class in both positively and negatively graded run blocks over the past two years.

Right guard David DeCastro appeared to be the one stabilizing player up front, even coming off a career-low 66.2 overall grade, but he was released last month and could be retiring. That added yet another hole to the Steelersí offensive line and led to the signing of Trai Turner. He was once one of the bright young guards in the league, but since recording his best grade in 2015, his grades have gotten worse in each of the past four years, including a 34.8 mark that ranked third-worst among guards last season.

2020 fourth-rounder Kevin Dotson had a fine rookie season, posting similar grades as DeCastro, including a much better mark in pass protection (87.2) than the run game (55.1).

The Steelers enter 2021 with big question marks all over the place, and their offensive line looks like a bottom-tier unit unless players develop across the board.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Great to hear what Alalalu says about Green. High praise on his athleticism and ability to move.
    Good, we only need 4 more like him (ability wise on the OL).

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    And who didn't see this coming? Apparently not the FO.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Not shocking. And if these guys don't start getting on the field together they will slide into that #32 spot:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking...ng-2021-season
    The Steelers enter 2021 with big question marks all over the place, and their offensive line looks like a bottom-tier unit unless players develop across the board.
    How were they rated "17th" last year? No way were there 15 OLs worse than they were. Pouncey sucked and so did DD and Big Al and whoever was playing RT.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    How were they rated "17th" last year? No way were there 15 OLs worse than they were. Pouncey sucked and so did DD and Big Al and whoever was playing RT.
    The same way that had been the last five seasons...reputation!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

They do need to gel, no doubt. But let's no fool ourselves, last year's OL will never be confused with the "Hogs".

No need to panic yet. Give a little time. That is what preseason is for.

Legend

User Info Menu

Rankings mean nothing in August. Let’s wait until the emd of September to get a real assessment of the OL.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?