Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Steelers’ rookies are dazzling at training camp

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers’ rookies are dazzling at training camp

The Steelers’ rookies are dazzling at training camp

The Steelers need their rookies to step up in 2021 and they’ve been up to the task thus far

By Michael_Beck@MichaelBeck56 Jul 26, 2021

The Pittsburgh Steelers entered training camp with a number of holes remaining on their roster. A majority of these positions were addressed by the team during the 2021 NFL Draft. However, the Steelers’ history with playing their rookies right away is spotty at best. To put it simply, if you're a rookie, don't be prepared to play much in your first season. But with a salary cap crunch, and a roster needing to be re-tooled on the fly, the Steelers will be forced to call upon their first year players more than ever before.

This was reflected in the Steelers initial depth chart release. In it Najee Harris was listed as a starter, Kendrick Green, and Pat Freiermuth were listed as primary back-ups, and the rest of the class are competing with teammates for both playing time and a chance to climb the depth chart. Check out the entire chart at the link below.

Early reports from training camp state that a healthy Kendrick Green is receiving the bulk of the starting center snaps. Not to mention Pat Freiermuth has been the star of the early portion of camp, making several highlight real plays which caught the eye of Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin. Even Dan Moore Jr. has shown a nasty streak not previously seen before getting into spirited fights, which is to be expected this time of year. Even the retirement of Vince Williams has opened the door for another rookie in Buddy Johnson who could climb to be the Steelers primary backup at inside linebacker before the time training camp concludes.

Najee Harris is still of course the star of the show, where he has flashed his work-ethic, and freakish athletic ability. The rookie running back has been pulling off hand stands in stretching line, shown his ability to catch passes out of the backfield, and, once again, being reported to be studying the game like crazy when he’s off the field.

The Steelers need a huge effort from this rookie class to remain a contender in 2021 and maintain the Steelers’ usual level of success heading into the future. But early returns suggest the Steelers have acquired a very nice draft class for themselves. It wouldn't surprise me to see the majority of these players in some sort of difference making role before the 2021 regular season concludes.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...green-moore-qb

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I love warm n fuzzy reports. However have pads started cracking yet? Has our rookie TE caught a pass yet knowing he's going to get drilled in live contact? Has Green our rookie center at under 6'2 and 308 at the combine tossed Tuitt or Heyward out of the A gap and opened a huge hole? In case you forgot both DT in Baltimore are 340+ except for C Campbell who is 6'8.
    So before we get all pumped up for a few walk throughs lets just be patient with what we have or don't have. Michael Beck is a "twitter guy". He may be a great football mind. He may not be. All football in shorts is just that. It's real difficult to evaluate guys without pads on.
    Just pumping the brakes a bit on reports such as this that are out this early.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    I love warm n fuzzy reports. However have pads started cracking yet? Has our rookie TE caught a pass yet knowing he's going to get drilled in live contact? Has Green our rookie center at under 6'2 and 308 at the combine tossed Tuitt or Heyward out of the A gap and opened a huge hole? In case you forgot both DT in Baltimore are 340+ except for C Campbell who is 6'8.
    So before we get all pumped up for a few walk throughs lets just be patient with what we have or don't have. Michael Beck is a "twitter guy". He may be a great football mind. He may not be. All football in shorts is just that. It's real difficult to evaluate guys without pads on.
    You must be a real hoot at parties.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If you been on here since 2012 you know me. You know I write what I see at camp. No BS. I'm always checking notes with AK and him with me to make sure we get out as much accurate info as possible good or not so good. Obviously the truth is going to come out and if rookie x y or z is all that we'll know in time.

Legend

User Info Menu

I get what you are saying. It's easy to get excited about one handed catches but doing it against NFL DBs wanting to remove your head is a whole lot different.
    btw, on Green's measurables I note that highly touted Creed Humphrey weighed in at the same weight (yes, Creed is a couple inches taller). I'm most interested how Green uses his wrestling background to take on guys bigger than him.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Pouncey was 6'4" #304 , and not as near as strong as Green so ............. " Weight " isn't everything...If it was, Foster was probably #400 his last couple years, and stunk!

Legend

User Info Menu

If you been on here since 2012 you know me. You know I write what I see at camp. No BS. I'm always checking notes with AK and him with me to make sure we get out as much accurate info as possible good or not so good. Obviously the truth is going to come out and if rookie x y or z is all that we'll know in time.
    Iron City, were you able to get tickets to practices this year?

Hoping to see your reports again. I always find them interesting. Especially when I think most of the MSM writers are pushing agendas at this point.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Thanks for saying this so I don't have to.....

Legend

User Info Menu

I wrote something similar regarding a negative report on Turner and I agree that it cuts both ways. Let's wait a little longer than first week of camp before we overreact one way or the other.

Legend

User Info Menu