Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Steelers’ rookies are dazzling at training camp

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

-Najee is the real deal. This guy just does whatever is asked of him. If he's the workhorse back then he was worth the 1st and he feels it. Great to hear, can't wait to see him in action.

-Friermuth is great. Seriously we got a big MUUUUTH from the crowd after a great toss from Haskins down the sideline. Really looking forward to him. There might just be a new TE chant that replaces HEEEEEEEEETH....

-Speaking of Haskins, not impressed. He has the arm strength he was drafted for and speed compared to the other QBs on the field but the mechanics and timing isn't there. Mason made him look bad. Looks like they are flip-flopping days in camp to who shines.

-Ben looks good. Despite being slow as a brick he clearly is the best QB on the team. Ben is Ben

-Tre Norwood really surprised me. 7th round pick and was fighting for every play, including picking off Mason. This would be a nice surprise....

-Rico Bussey. This guy was in 84 and had two spectacular catches and fought for every inch. A walk in pass from Haskins later on. Easily looked as good as Ray Ray if not better. Another nice surprise but I think at best he makes the PS...Maybe next year...

-Pressley looks a little raw but I liked him. He matched Berry in every way without the occasional shank. At one point Coach T loudly exclaimed his approval. He probably beats out Berry...I am waiting for the fake punts.....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    -Najee is the real deal. This guy just does whatever is asked of him. If he's the workhorse back then he was worth the 1st and he feels it. Great to hear, can't wait to see him in action.

-Friermuth is great. Seriously we got a big MUUUUTH from the crowd after a great toss from Haskins down the sideline. Really looking forward to him. There might just be a new TE chant that replaces HEEEEEEEEETH....

-Speaking of Haskins, not impressed. He has the arm strength he was drafted for and speed compared to the other QBs on the field but the mechanics and timing isn't there. Mason made him look bad. Looks like they are flip-flopping days in camp to who shines.

-Ben looks good. Despite being slow as a brick he clearly is the best QB on the team. Ben is Ben

-Tre Norwood really surprised me. 7th round pick and was fighting for every play, including picking off Mason. This would be a nice surprise....

-Rico Bussey. This guy was in 84 and had two spectacular catches and fought for every inch. A walk in pass from Haskins later on. Easily looked as good as Ray Ray if not better. Another nice surprise but I think at best he makes the PS...Maybe next year.. I knew it all along. It's the jersey not player. Let's go 84 Buss ̶e̶ y!!

-Pressley looks a little raw but I liked him. He matched Berry in every way without the occasional shank. At one point Coach T loudly exclaimed his approval. He probably beats out Berry...I am waiting for the fake punts.....

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2merVh8][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2merVh8]Capture[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/]R W[/url], on Flickr
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 07-31-2021 at 07:31 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2merVh8][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2merVh8]Capture[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/]R W[/url], on Flickr
    Hawaiian, did you see this coming?

I watched a few games that I could get and the only skill player I thought had pro potential was the RB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post

Can't remember where but I've also read some good things about Denmark.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Hawaiian, did you see this coming?

I watched a few games that I could get and the only skill player I thought had pro potential was the RB.
    no, I didn't but I'm definitely cheering for him.

Bussey was good at UH, but not great. tbh I'm always skeptical of UH's skill players because of the run & shoot and step up in competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Alex said that the O didn't look good yesterday (Saturday)

And more botched snaps (from Green and others).

Many projected starters on OL still out.

Legend

User Info Menu

https://www.yinzercrazy.com/big-deal...s-camp-edition

Big Deal or No Deal? Steelers Camp Edition

Yinzer Crazy • Aug 02, 2021
    The Pittsburgh Steelers have been back at practice for almost two weeks now. Which has given us plenty of time to overreact to the on-the-field happenings. We’ve seen everything from Najee Harris’ strange practice routine, to the Steelers asking fans to not give their plays away to their opponents (a bit tongue-in-cheek if you ask me).

But what really matters is everything in between. The lines that is. Let’s take a look at some of the major storylines developing as the black and gold get ready to take the field in just a few short days, in the Hall of Fame Game against the Dallas Cowboys. Merry Freaking Christmas.

Dwayne Haskins outperforms Mason Rudolph - NO BIG DEAL

Not yet, at least. I’m not declaring Haskins the backup QB after two weeks of non-contact practice - and neither are the Steelers. However, if this persists into the preseason, it certainly becomes a bigger story.

So far Haskins has looked better. Plain and simple. He’s looked poised, has made strong throws with an accurate delivery. And most importantly, he’s made good decisions. Something that has been the biggest knock on him entering year three in the NFL.

Rudolph on the other hand, has not taken firm control of the opportunity that is most likely in play: the chance to be the starting QB for the NFL’s most storied franchise next season (although I’m not entirely convinced we don’t see a Roethlisberger-return).

He’s been intercepted multiple times and he’s the QB with the least mobility on the team, even compared to the almost 39-year old Ben.

As of now, we’ll chalk it up to just a few crappy weeks. But the movie plot heading into preseason action is now Freddy vs. Jason-esque. We’ll all be closely monitoring Mason vs. Dwayne. And if it’s Dwayne who continues to outperform Mason, that should be enough to shockingly warrant him winning the backup job.

Because that’s just how competition works.

James Pierre, Tre Norwood and Cam Sutton shine - BIG DEAL

Outside of the offensive line, the most obvious deficiency on this roster is in the secondary.

Losing Steven Nelson (who recently signed with the Eagles), a steady number two corner, and Mike Hilton (Bengals), an absolute dynamic slot contributor, were not miniature blows.

Behind studs Joe Haden and Minkah Fitzpatrick are two players still looking for breakthrough campaigns in Cam Sutton and Terrell Edmunds, and a bunch of unproven relative unknowns at their backup positions.

That is up until now.

James Pierre was the only undrafted player to make the Steelers roster in 2020. In 2021, he’s beginning to cement himself as a household name. What Pierre seems to do best is digest the play immediately - which is very similar to what Hilton was able to bring to the table. That proof is in the pudding, as he recorded multiple interceptions in practice this past weekend, while going up against some top flight competition in the Steelers WR room.

Cam Sutton also looks ready to breakthrough as a legitimate NFL starter, and has made the most of his reps. Check out this pass-breakup below on a fade to the vertical hurdle, Chase Claypool.

Tre Norwood is the last chess piece in the mix. He was a 7th round pick, which immediately had him cast as a longshot to even make the team. But his playmaking ability at Oklahoma was apparent. He intercepted five passes with the Sooners last year, and if he continues to show an elevated maturity in ball-tracking instincts, he actually could find himself playing in sub-packages this season.

That would be an excellent problem for the Steelers to have. This group was one that needed to instill some faith in the coaching staff these past few weeks. They’ve done just that.

Offensive Line just can’t find time - BIG DEAL

This past weekend the new shiny toy in town , RB Najee Harris had this to say when asked about the men in front of him:

”The line is what it is, but I believe whoever’s in front of me.”

Alright, not exactly a glowing endorsement there.

Steelers reporter Aditi Kinkabawhala, who is often maligned on Steelers Twitter, shared her thoughts on this subject:

And I can’t help but agree with her. The presumed starting group from left to right in Okorafor, Dotson, Green, Turner and Banner is already inexperienced and unproven. Now you’re tacking on the fact that they:

A. Aren’t healthy

B. Haven’t practiced together

That’s a big deal. You want to know who was out there starting for the Steelers this past weekend up-front? It consisted of the rookie center Green, flanked by guards Rashaad Coward and Anthony Coyle, and tackles Dan Moore Jr. and Joe Haeg.

Well then - no wonder the least mobile QB in Mason Rudolph was having a rough go of it.

I hear your argument. “Let’s keep them fresh for when we actually need them!” Sure, I think that could have been absolutely true for the group last year that consisted of guys like Villanueva, Pouncey & DeCastro - players all on the brink of receiving their first social security checks. But the same does not apply to a completely new group looking to establish some continuity for the first time.

Big Ben rests - NO BIG DEAL

Yeah, don’t even bring this up at the water cooler today. Big Ben rested on Friday, and showed up with a small brace supporting his knee on Saturday. Inevitably, there were some idiotic takes that followed.

Although he’s learning a new system under Matt Canada, he’s ultimately your treasure trove. At almost 39 years old, he shouldn’t play more than a handful of pre-season snaps. And I’m fine with the occasional rest day mixed in here and there. The success of your team hinges on number 7 at the end of the day.

Just like it has since April 24th, 2004. The day he was drafted into the organization.

18 years later, and coming off a 12 win season, this could potentially be his last go around. His health is his wealth. It's the Steelers wealth. Let’s limit the chances for a Carson Wentz-esque unlucky injury this preseason.

Or at the end of the day, it won’t matter who is playing on the offensive line or in the defensive backfield.

Legend

User Info Menu

Alex Kozora
    @Alex_Kozora

Nice day for Dan Moore in OL/DL work. Good base, hand use, went 4-0 on his reps. Two vs Roche, two vs Highsmith. Anchored vs power, sealed vs edge moves. He's getting a lot of work this camp.

Just needs to stop trying to fight Heyward every day, lol. #Steelers

Aug 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora/stat...41244106182663

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Alex Kozora
    @Alex_Kozora

Nice day for Dan Moore in OL/DL work. Good base, hand use, went 4-0 on his reps. Two vs Roche, two vs Highsmith. Anchored vs power, sealed vs edge moves. He's getting a lot of work this camp.

Just needs to stop trying to fight Heyward every day, lol. #Steelers

Aug 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora/stat...41244106182663
    Blame Klemm.
    YOU KNOW he learned it was all about fighting all the time when he went to UH.