Page 52 of 88 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers At the Top

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    You won't hear the MSM or Govt. voices warn about casual sex in relation to Covid transmission. Too worried about sparking some kind of backlash or not being cool.

Remember Dr. Fauci, in the midst of the crisis in April 2020, endorsed Tinder hookups with strangers at the same time he was saying that the country needed to implement masking up/social distancing/lockdowns to deal with the pandemic. And some people can't figure out why a lot of folks don't take him seriously.
    If you ask me that is weird.

Legend

User Info Menu

You won't hear the MSM or Govt. voices warn about casual sex in relation to Covid transmission. Too worried about sparking some kind of backlash or not being cool.

Remember Dr. Fauci, in the midst of the crisis in April 2020, endorsed Tinder hookups with strangers at the same time he was saying that the country needed to implement masking up/social distancing/lockdowns to deal with the pandemic. And some people can't figure out why a lot of folks don't take him seriously.
    This isn’t true.

This was a Vanity Fair interview and he was asked how safe it is to hook up using dating apps. Here is the question and the response.

To better understand just how risky a hookup with a stranger can be during the pandemic, Vanity Fair reporter Peter Hamby asked Dr. Anthony Fauci
    the director of the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Disease and a key advisor in the White House coronavirus task force, his opinion."If you're swiping on a dating app like Tinder, or Bumble, or Grindr, and you match with someone that you think is hot, and you're just kind of like, 'Maybe it's fine if this one stranger comes over.' What do you say to that person?" Hamby asked Fauci.

"You know, that's tough," Fauci said. Mulling it, he gave a diplomatic response, saying that, while it's possible to carefully plan a hookup during the pandemic, people should recognize that the risks they're opening themselves — and others

"
    [I]t's what's called relative risk," Fauci said. "If you're willing to take a risk — and you know, everybody has their own tolerance for risks — you could figure out if you want to meet somebody."

He said it's probably best to postpone hookups for now if you "don't want to have any part of this virus."
    There was no endorsement. You tried to make it sound like he just brought it up on his own and told people to get busy on Tinder.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    If you ask me that is weird.
    weird

and totally false
    Last edited by feltdizz; 08-05-2021 at 03:35 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    This isn’t true.

This was a Vanity Fair interview and he was asked how safe it is to hook up using dating apps. Here is the question and the response.

There was no endorsement. You tried to make it sound like he just brought it up on his own and told people to get busy on Tinder.
    You say there was no endorsement, but he wasn't exactly telling people they shouldn't do it, was he? He sure didn't seem to have any trouble telling us what to do with other behaviors.

On the one hand, he was saying that mask mandates, social distancing and shutdowns should be utilized to prevent the spread of the virus, that these are restrictions that should be imposed on people. On the other hand, he was saying that people should weigh the risks and decide for themselves if sexual encounters with strangers is something they should or shouldn't do. He definitely wasn't saying people should weigh the risks and decide for themselves about masking, distancing or lockdowns. But when it comes to "getting busy on Tinder," well, according to Fauci, it's OK if you're willing to assume the risk; we'll leave that choice up to the individual.

C'mon. I don't for a minute believe you can't see what was going on.
    Last edited by Buzz; 08-05-2021 at 04:15 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Like it would have been so difficult for him to tell the reporter, "Look, Covid is an easily transmissible virus. It would be almost impossible to have sex with an infected person and not transmit it. You ought not be hooking up with strangers, or you could easily become part of the problem. If you're not concerned about this for your own safety, you ought to at least be concerned about the safety of those around us that the virus might be spread to."

I mean, the answer Fauci gave about tinder hook ups sounds a whole lot like the rationale voiced by the anti-maskers and anti-vaccers.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Fauci didn't have any problem telling people they shouldn't shake hands.

The hypocrisy is stunning. Those who can't see it are willfully blind, IMO.

But hey, he got that nomination for People Magazine's "Sexiest Man Alive" -- that's what really matters, right?

Legend

User Info Menu

Fauci didn't have any problem telling people they shouldn't shake hands.

The hypocrisy is stunning. Those who can't see it are willfully blind, IMO.

But hey, he got that nomination for People Magazine's "Sexiest Man Alive" -- that's what really matters, right?
    it matters to you.. I don’t follow People’s Magazine.

Legend

User Info Menu

You say there was no endorsement, but he wasn't exactly telling people they shouldn't do it, was he? He sure didn't seem to have any trouble telling us what to do with other behaviors.

On the one hand, he was saying that mask mandates, social distancing and shutdowns should be utilized to prevent the spread of the virus, that these are restrictions that should be imposed on people. On the other hand, he was saying that people should weigh the risks and decide for themselves if sexual encounters with strangers is something they should or shouldn't do. He definitely wasn't saying people should weigh the risks and decide for themselves about masking, distancing or lockdowns. But when it comes to "getting busy on Tinder," well, according to Fauci, it's OK if you're willing to assume the risk; we'll leave that choice up to the individual.

C'mon. I don't for a minute believe you can't see what was going on.
    He said people shouldn’t do it in the last line of the quote I posted.

“its probably best to postpone hookups for now if you don’t want any part of this virus”

Not sure how you see that as an endorsement or telling people to hook up.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    He said people shouldn’t do it in the last line of the quote I posted.

“its probably best to postpone hookups for now if you don’t want any part of this virus”

Not sure how you see that as an endorsement or telling people to hook up.
    Not sure how you can't see the hypocrisy.

“If you’re willing to take a risk — and you know, everybody has their own tolerance for risks — you could figure out if you want to meet somebody."

“If you want to go a little bit more intimate, well, then that’s your choice regarding a risk.”

His answer amounts to: "Weigh the possible risks to you, then decide if you want to go for it."

At around the same time, when asked by Anderson Cooper why some states had still not issued stay at home orders, Fauci said, "I don't understand why that's not happening. As you said, the tension between federal mandates vs states rights is something I don’t want to get into but when you look at what’s going on, I don’t understand why we’re not doing that. We really should be." Quite a bit different from "weigh the risk and decide what's right for you," don't you think? Why the difference?

Legend

User Info Menu

Not sure how you can't see the hypocrisy.

“If you’re willing to take a risk — and you know, everybody has their own tolerance for risks — you could figure out if you want to meet somebody."

“If you want to go a little bit more intimate, well, then that’s your choice regarding a risk.”

His answer amounts to: "Weigh the possible risks to you, then decide if you want to go for it."

At around the same time, when asked by Anderson Cooper why some states had still not issued stay at home orders, Fauci said, "I don't understand why that's not happening. As you said, the tension between federal mandates vs states rights is something I don’t want to get into but when you look at what’s going on, I don’t understand why we’re not doing that. We really should be." Quite a bit different from "weigh the risk and decide what's right for you," don't you think? Why the difference?
    The difference is the first interviewer asked him what someone should do IF they want to hookup. He answered the IF and then followed up that is should be postponed.

A sexual encounter and a state lockdown are 2 totally different things.

These are different questions that had different answers but both answers encouraged people not to socialize if they didn’t want to increase their chances of getting the virus.

Vanity fair is asking about the safety of 1 on 1 contact with a stranger.

Anderson Cooper is asking about states lockdowns. State lockdowns were about slowing down mass spreading of covid.