Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 117

Thread: Haskins

  1. #81
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    If he ends up balling out this year... taking the #2 from Rudolph.. and becoming the heir apparent.. what do you guys think we can get him for on a 3-4 year deal? 10-12 million per range?

  2. #82
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    If he ends up balling out this year... taking the #2 from Rudolph.. and becoming the heir apparent.. what do you guys think we can get him for on a 3-4 year deal? 10-12 million per range?
    I'm excited to hear that he's playing well. And I hope it continues and he goes on to be our next starter.

    But I think you're right that the best he can do this year (without a Ben injury) is pass Mason on the depth chart. And I personally don't think Rudolph is that good, so I don't think that bar is all that high.

    He's an RFA after the season, so we can sign him to an original round tender for $2.2M.

    That seems like the best option for both him and us. We pay a low number with no term, so if he fails there's basically no risk. He gets a shot to win the starting job and dramatically increase his salary the next year.

    I guess that's the downside. I think that the RFA deal would walk him into UFA. And if he were a successful starter, I think the only way we could keep him from the market would be to tag him...and it's unlikely he'd be good enough to warrant that.

    So we'd probably have to pay him market rate after that if he was successful. And he could even want more than market rate if we wanted to sign him before the first day of free agency.

    I bet that's what we do...but maybe we try to negotiate a mid-length deal after doing the RFA tender? My guess is that he'd want the short prove it deal though.

  3. #83
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Me to...and I'd imagine we could get him for a multiyear, very reasonable deal.. which would put us at a competitive advantage salary cap wise if he becomes a solid starter
    I think it depends on how this plays out. I highly doubt Tomlin gives Haskins the #2 spot even if he is outplaying MR. I think he will be hesitant to blow the kids head up. But, IF at some point Ben goes down and MR isn't cutting it...it wouldn't shock me to see Haskins. Now, if Haskins balls out 300+ yards 3 TDs etc it will get very interesting. I think if he balls out we can still lock him in at 12-15 million per on a 4 year deal.

  4. #84
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I'm excited to hear that he's playing well. And I hope it continues and he goes on to be our next starter.

    But I think you're right that the best he can do this year (without a Ben injury) is pass Mason on the depth chart. And I personally don't think Rudolph is that good, so I don't think that bar is all that high.

    He's an RFA after the season, so we can sign him to an original round tender for $2.2M.

    That seems like the best option for both him and us. We pay a low number with no term, so if he fails there's basically no risk. He gets a shot to win the starting job and dramatically increase his salary the next year.

    I guess that's the downside. I think that the RFA deal would walk him into UFA. And if he were a successful starter, I think the only way we could keep him from the market would be to tag him...and it's unlikely he'd be good enough to warrant that.

    So we'd probably have to pay him market rate after that if he was successful. And he could even want more than market rate if we wanted to sign him before the first day of free agency.

    I bet that's what we do...but maybe we try to negotiate a mid-length deal after doing the RFA tender? My guess is that he'd want the short prove it deal though.
    I think we need to know what we have with Haskins before this year plays out. It's in both parties best interest if Haskins is a baller to get a 3-4 year deal done. It could look like Mariottas deal at 7.5 million per. But, if he shows to be starter worthy you have to lock him down.

  5. #85
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    I am looking forward to watching Spillane and Highsmith progress this season. Both should benefit by being in their 2nd year in the system and a full preseason.

  6. #86
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    I see what you are saying about blowing Haskins' head up... but I also see the urgency to see if he could be the long term answer...
    In the event that Ben goes down.. I could see MR having a short leash..
    I guess we will have to see how the preseason games go...
    I could also see Haskins being named the #2 if he earns it. Should be interesting to watch.

  7. #87
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    I am hoping for an injury free year for Ben. Our QB stable right now may not be to bad. Although they will see a lot of vanilla defenses in preseason I an anxious to see what MR and Haskins can do. Barring injury I think Dobbs is the odd man out.

  8. #88
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I see what you are saying about blowing Haskins' head up... but I also see the urgency to see if he could be the long term answer...
    In the event that Ben goes down.. I could see MR having a short leash..
    I guess we will have to see how the preseason games go...
    I could also see Haskins being named the #2 if he earns it. Should be interesting to watch.
    I feel ya on that. It's a fine line. I believe right now Haskins is better than MR. But, I don't see him getting the #2 right away. If Ben goes down I do see the Steelers having more confidence in MR because he knows the system and pb better than Haskins. But I agree, it will be a very very short leash.

  9. #89
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    I am hoping for an injury free year for Ben. Our QB stable right now may not be to bad. Although they will see a lot of vanilla defenses in preseason I an anxious to see what MR and Haskins can do. Barring injury I think Dobbs is the odd man out.
    Probably but Dobbs is having a strong camp thus far as well. From what I'm hearing the worst QB in camp right now is MR.

  10. #90
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Probably but Dobbs is having a strong camp thus far as well. From what I'm hearing the worst QB in camp right now is MR.
    I did see that Tomlin was a bit upset with a goal line decision MR made yesterday. It's best to work those out in practice but with him being in his 4th year with the Steelers you wouldn't expect to see that.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •