Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Team Outlook for 2021

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Upgrades at center and RT though, so there is that. Also possible Dotson is an upgrade over Feiler (unless Dotson really did turn into a sloth ).
    No 'possible" that Dotson is an upgrade over Feiler...he'll be far superior in both the short and long term.

Feiler is a case study in profiting from mediocrity.
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Legend

User Info Menu

Team playoff wins since 2010 SB appearance:

Legend

User Info Menu

Patriots are tied for last in league in playoff appearances since they last won a Superbowl.

Seriously, when looking at the chart we are last in the league in one very crucial stat. Who sees what it is?
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 07-24-2021 at 08:11 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

2021 is the year of the ????. It has been a long time since we went into a season with this many questions about our starters. Even guys like Bush and Ben where injuries and age factor in and leaves me with so much unknown going into camp. Rookies n 2nd year guys may be great or they may be cut. I was hoping to get to Latrobe to see it first hand. I'm going to have to be patient with this team as we have so many new pieces in place.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Patriots are tied for last in league in playoff appearances since they last won a Superbowl.

Seriously, when looking at the chart we are last in the league in one very crucial stat. Who sees what it is?
    Not sure what that is but another thing to consider is whether a team had most of their playoff wins in a single season vs over multiple seasons. If a team got hot and made a run that could account for some differences.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Looks Washington is our only good player on offense

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Looks Washington is our only good player on offense
    There is a place for analytics but.....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post

Ties?

We're not last in any of those categories (assuming I'm reading the chart correctly).

I wish that OPP PPG was better. And my guess is that if "Turnovers / Game" and "OPP Turnovers / game" were included, we'd have some context for why OPP PPG is as high as it is.

There are certainly some playoff games I've been trying to forget in this time span, but my recollection is that in the playoffs in the last decade we've turned the ball over a lot and haven't generated many turnovers.

But I admit that I may be suffering from recency bias here since the games against the Jags and Browns were so terrible.

Legend

User Info Menu

Let this sink in for a minute....

Pittsburgh is one of the NFL's most stable franchises. It's had just four losing campaigns in the last 30 years, and none since 2003, which was four seasons before Mike Tomlin took over as head coach.
    An entire generation of Steeler fans have become spoiled with winning.

But lots of questions looming with the biggest around the remade offense:

The Football Outsiders Almanac is stuffed with data on how strikingly conservative the Steelers' offense was, even as it all but abandoned the running game:

• 66 wide receiver or tight end screens, far and away the most in the league
    • An average of 4.4 yards per pass and a DVOA of minus-6.7% on those WR and TE screens, well below the league averages of 5.9 yards and 12.3% DVOA
    • 19 defensive pass interference penalties by opponents for 351 yards, second only to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    • Roethlisberger was 27th in DVOA from Week 13 through that wild-card loss to Cleveland, when Pittsburgh won just once
    • Luck: the Steelers managed to recover 14 of 19 offensive fumbles
    • More luck: Pittsburgh was fifth-best in adjusted games lost due to injury
    • The Steelers are counting on the addition of Harris, who is capable of lining up all over the formation, to boost both the running and passing game. The promotion of Canada, who made his bones scheming up a forward-thinking offense that helped Pitt QB Nate Peterman outgun Clemson's Deshaun Watson once upon a time, figures to bring plenty of modern elements to the Steelers' attack: motions, shifts, play-action, misdirection.

Some of this will be a marked change for Roethlisberger, who attempted just 35 of his 608 passes last year while under center, and who can't exactly stretch the pocket anymore with designed rollouts. The Steelers, per the Football Outsiders Almanac, also ranked 20th in pre-snap motion in 2020, and they've been dead last in play-action usage for six consecutive years. Canada is the right coordinator at the right time given the way football is now being played, but is Roethlisberger the right QB to execute what he can draw up?
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 08-01-2021 at 08:13 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu