Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Rudolph have what it take to start in 2022?

Legend

User Info Menu

They did say Haskins has been playing against #2 defense while Rudolph's INTs were against the #1.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    They did say Haskins has been playing against #2 defense while Rudolph's INTs were against the #1.
    I think he had been running 3rd when Ben practices, but second when he doesn't?

But I think Alex said that Ben and Haskins were the only ones with 2 minute drills last practice? Maybe it was 7 shots? Said that Haskins hasn't passed Mason but that he thinks the chances of that happening were higher than he thought pre-camp. But both Alex and Dave thought the chances of him being qb2 was pretty low before camp started.

But sounds like Haskins is playing well in camp and Rudolph maybe not?

Will be interesting to see them play in games IMO

Legend

User Info Menu

I just read they were splitting reps with the 2s.. and that Haskins was outperforming Rudolph.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I just read they were splitting reps with the 2s.. and that Haskins was outperforming Rudolph.
    SNR says Haskins has a ways to go before he would be crowned #2. Neither backup has been particularly consistent.

Legend

User Info Menu

SNR says Haskins has a ways to go before he would be crowned #2. Neither backup has been particularly consistent.
    I've seen a few conflicting reports also.. I guess it depends on the source

Legend

User Info Menu

I've seen a few conflicting reports also.. I guess it depends on the source
    too many people with agendas I guess....climb on board the Dwayne Train....

Legend

User Info Menu

Got a link because I read everything I can find and haven't read one thing about Haskins outplaying MR?
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Legend

User Info Menu

This hurts Mason more IMO. I know its a new offense but you would still think Mason would show more consistency in year 4.

Iím excited to see them on Thursday.

I wonder if Mason is squeezing the ball tighter with someone like Haskins right behind him. That sounded kinda bad.. lol.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

too many people with agendas I guess....climb on board the Dwayne Train....

Alex was talking about this in their last camp report.

Said that Haskins is taking more deep shots. And Mason is taking more of what the defense gives him.

This kind of makes sense since one guy (Haskins) is trying to move up (QB2 to QB3) and even just make the roster. So he probably wants to show some bigger plays. And the other guy is trying to keep his job at QB2. So he probably wants to show he can play more mistake free.

This is also stereotypical Mason Rudolph, at least under RF. So maybe that's an agenda that's being pushed?

But I think reports also say that Rudolph has thrown more picks (I think Alex said Haskins hadn't thrown a pick in the practices open to the public). But Rudolph probably has more reps against the real D.

I think the only thing we can really tell from this is that Haskins looks like he is well above the floor of "comes in and looks terrible". And maybe we'll learn if the short passing Mason is what he is, or if it was just a product of Randy's offense.

Hoping that Haskins gives Mason a run for his money at QB2. And ideally he's better than Mason. Because I don't think Mason is a starter we can be all the competitive with in the medium term...although guys can get better.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 08-02-2021 at 09:28 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Got a link because I read everything I can find and haven't read one thing about Haskins outplaying MR?
    I usually listen to the Terrible Podcast "special editions" where Alex talks about what he saw in camp practices.

He specifically said that he doesn't think Haskins has passed Mason, but that he thinks it's more possible now than he though before camp. He also said that he thinks Haskins' issues are more in stadium than in practice (e.g. throwing when not set and under pressure). And that he's interested to see how the QB2 battle plays out in the preseason games (vs. practice).

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/07/th...ition-episode/