Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Green. Elite athleticism relative to what’s most important at the center position.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    But THIS is my point in the thread. We say that cause be ain't 6'5" 320. We see his as just a fast and twitchy undersized center. And that he is.

But dude is EXTREMELY strong where is counts. In a measurement that has no RAS score (no doubt they don't want to destroy people's knees for scouts).

A 700 pound squat?

Size doesn't move people. Strength, particularly leg drive does.

Look at the tape again. You see that leg drive. Pouncey is more like a LT at Center. Can't get past him but doesn't drive people back. This kid locks on and takes you wherever he wants.

They both are athletic, and get to the second level quickly. What is exciting is that when it comes to athleticism, this dude makes has the measurables to make the "athletic" Pouncey look slow.
    He is also a former wrestler. He knows how to use leverage to his advantage. The question that will be answered soon is can he use all his skills with success against NFL caliber Dlinemen and LBs. I am optimistic the Steelers got a really good player in Green.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/05/ke...otball-player/

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    He is also a former wrestler. He knows how to use leverage to his advantage. The question that will be answered soon is can he use all his skills with success against NFL caliber Dlinemen and LBs. I am optimistic the Steelers got a really good player in Green.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/05/ke...otball-player/
    This part is most intriguing. A wrestling background has a lot of positives for the position;

Why Wrestlers Make Awesome Football Players
    By Brandon Hall
    Published On: 2019-11-29
    John Madden once said he wished all his offensive linemen had a wrestling background.

For good reason.

While the connection between football and sports like basketball and track has been highly publicized, its hard to argue the transferable benefits of wrestling arent equally (if not more so) robust.

NFL stars with prolific wrestling backgrounds include Ray Lewis, Ronnie Lott, Willie Roaf, Jonathan Ogden, Lorenzo Neal, Jeff Saturday and Roddy White.

According to Hudl, roughly 5% of all NFL Hall of Fame inductees wrestled in high school and/or college.

While the benefit might be most obvious for linemen, wrestling has crossover for just about any position.

Physically, it builds a very special type of strength thats extremely applicable to footballthe strength needed to both move an unwilling opponent and to escape an opponent attempting to exert their will on you.

Getting better at that simple ability involves so many sub-skills essential to football. As in football, just a few inches of difference in the position of your hands, feet or hips on the wrestling mat can make all the difference. Wrestling helps athletes enhance their leverage, flexibility, quickness, power and balance in ways that directly translate to football.

Wrestling is still one of the reasons why I swivel my hips; its been everything for me, 10-time All-Pro linebacker Ray Lewis, who was a Florida Class 4A state champion wrestler in high school, told Penn Live in 2010.

The principles that you learn in wrestling, none of that changes (in football). It carries over, and if you stick to those things, the low man always wins. [Wrestling] teaches you what most people want to do, which is make your hips and butt work for youYou always want to go low; you never want to walk up to an opponent standing up. Everything has to be engaged. You have to be locked and loaded. That is what makes you shift so easy. Football is that natural shoot and tackle.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    but but but Colbert didn't pick a center earlier like you wanted him to

No kidding.
    I cant believe he didnt make the olb savior predictions that you did...... lol
    By watching tape it was so obvious, if you were real fan.
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Green better be for real. If he's just okay we picked a just okay starter for years as Centers are seldom drafted high.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Like I said, this draft was super deep. First 4 rounds should all be easy day one starters.
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Like I said, this draft was super deep. First 4 rounds should all be easy day one starters.
    absolutely.

every NFL team's first 4 round selections should be day one starters or that team's front office sucks.
    Only a true coward puts someone on ignore on a message board.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don’t think it matters for skill position players like Pat. As long as he see’s the field it shouldn’t matter if he “starts” vs being the 2TE.

Not sure about Dan Moore, don’t know enough about him or if he is a project.

Just put the best guys on the field IMO. Draft picks aren’t about starting, its about putting them in the best situation to succeed and if we wait on Moore or Green it doesn’t imply anything negative.
    Tomlins coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I don’t think it matters for skill position players like Pat. As long as he see’s the field it shouldn’t matter if he “starts” vs being the 2TE.

Just put the best guys on the field IMO. Draft picks aren’t about starting, its about putting them in the best situation to succeed and if we wait on Moore or Green it doesn’t imply anything negative.
    Patrick Mahomes wasn't a day one starter.

what a terrible draft pick that turned out to be by the Chiefs' front office.
    Only a true coward puts someone on ignore on a message board.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

All the other years the excuse from the fans were there aren’t open spots for starters on the steelers because we are loaded.
    Well, nobody can say we didn’t have at least 3 open spots on oline this year, plus rb, olb and olb.
    Plenty of openings in a draft were it was super deep and were we needed it to be.
    Update:

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is an extremely unrealistic expectation. What NFL planet do you live on?