Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chucks Okorafor vs Dan Moore

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Chucks Okorafor vs Dan Moore

I will be one of the first to admit it, I am actually down on this kid and the same time I am high on the Moore pick...

Sad thing is that Chucks is only a year older than Moore.

If you put it on a timeline, at age 22 it was:

Chucks first time as full time starter
    Moore fist time as an NFL player.

Didn't Chuck come from Africa as a teen?
    How many years has he been playing football?
    Does Moore have more years of playing organized football?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    I will be one of the first to admit it, I am actually down on this kid and the same time I am high on the Moore pick...

Sad thing is that Chucks is only a year older than Moore.

If you put it on a timeline, at age 22 it was:

Chucks first time as full time starter
    Moore fist time as an NFL player.

Didn't Chuck come from Africa as a teen?
    How many years has he been playing football?
    Does Moore have more years of playing organized football?
    Chucks was probably among the worst starting right tackles in the NFL. He played because Banner who I think lacks the agility to start long term got hurt.

Moore grew up in Texas. They play tackle football hard core in grammar school. Yeah, he payed in high school. He played plenty in the SEC and with late improvement as a college player, the Steelers just might have themselves a starter.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 06-05-2021 at 08:45 AM.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Banner isn't very agile, but is a mauler. read: better suited for RT (or the QB strong side) so if he misses a block, the QB has a better chance to see it coming

Chuks is agile, but not very strong. read: better suited for LT (or the QB blind side) because he's more likely to stay in front of a pass rusher, even if he can't move him.

Moore is somewhere between the two. I honestly see him as a project who will back up both tackle spots and eventually start at RT once Banner's contract is up. Yes, i know he played LT in the SEC - that'll mean his pass blocking will be darned good for an RT in the NFL.

if Moore starts at either spot THIS year as a rookie, the team has severely miscalculated on Chuks.

I know they'd never say, but I was VERY curious what the team would have done if both Harris and Darrisaw were on the board. I think he has pro bowl LT strength and agility
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Banner isn't very agile, but is a mauler. read: better suited for RT (or the QB strong side) so if he misses a block, the QB has a better chance to see it coming

Chuks is agile, but not very strong. read: better suited for LT (or the QB blind side) because he's more likely to stay in front of a pass rusher, even if he can't move him.

Moore is somewhere between the two. I honestly see him as a project who will back up both tackle spots and eventually start at RT once Banner's contract is up. Yes, i know he played LT in the SEC - that'll mean his pass blocking will be darned good for an RT in the NFL.

if Moore starts at either spot THIS year as a rookie, the team has severely miscalculated on Chuks.

I know they'd never say, but I was VERY curious what the team would have done if both Harris and Darrisaw were on the board. I think he has pro bowl LT strength and agility
    Chucks is a back up at best. Banner barely started on other bad teams. He's been cut before a few times.

Moore who has improved a lot during his last college season as an SEC staring left tackle passes the eye test. Reports say he lacks a mean streak, but that something a good coach and culture can change. Ability wise as a tackle, he's better than either Chucks or Banner. I expect him to take one of the tackle jobs as a rookie. In most drafts he's a 3rd round round pick, in the 2021 deep tackle class, we were lucky to get him in round 4.

Do you really think Chucks can handle the LT spot? Or Banner who won the RT job over Chucks an edge rusher? Our new TE is going to spend a lot of time helping them out, which to me is okay as long as he's good at it.

This passing offense should focus on Harris short, Ju-ju in the mid routes and Claypool mid to deep. The other players to me are NOT reliable enough or dynamic enough to feature. Phase out Ebron and his wimpy blocking and dropped passes and Johnson's drops and concentration lapses unless he has an easy match up. Johnson can stay as the 4th best option on most downs. When he's good you want him to get the ball. Other times you wonder why they threw it to him, at least on down 3.

The Steelers seem to love Harris. So far he's a great fit. I think they take him even if Darrisaw was on the board.

We''ll see what Canada does but given Ben's age I'm for more of a " max protect " let our big three get open type an offense than a five wide let the 5 OL protect type of offense. We have to be honest about that, I think if the ground game is a + this year it can work.

Freiermuth will get his chances as a play action cacher and in the red zone, and Johnson his chances to beat the #3 cover DB. I did't mention Washington yet. Same minor role beating the #3 cover man, which might give him 1-2 games in a starting role.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 06-04-2021 at 08:11 AM.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben is going to throw to whoever is open. DJ gets open which is why he has a ton of targets. This will not change because fans don’t like a player.

Looking forward to surprising a few teams this year who have written us off.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Chucks was probably among the worst starting right tackles in the NFL. He played because Banner who I think lacks the agility to start long term got hurt in the pre-season.

Moore grew up in Texas. They play tackle football hard core in grammar school. Yeah, he payed in high school. He played plenty in the SEC and with late improvement as a college player, the Steelers just might have themselves a starter.
    Banner got hurt in Week #1 of the regular season game against the Giants, not preseason. Got to actually watch the games.
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Banner got hurt in Week #1 of the regular season game against the Giants, not preseason. Got to actually watch the games.
    More grew up in Texas tho.. haven’t you watched Friday Night Lights?

The only reason I would care about where someone grew up is if they went to my HS or knew my family.

Who cares where a player was born or where they went to HS.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Chucks is a back up at best. Banner barely started on other bad teams. He's been cut before a few times.

Moore who has improved a lot during his last college season as an SEC staring left tackle passes the eye test. Reports say he lacks a mean streak, but that something a good coach and culture can change. Ability wise as a tackle, he's better than either Chucks or Banner. I expect him to take one of the tackle jobs as a rookie. In most drafts he's a 3rd round round pick, in the 2021 deep tackle class, we were lucky to get him in round 4.

Do you really think Chucks can handle the LT spot? Or Banner who won the RT job over Chucks an edge rusher? Our new TE is going to spend a lot of time helping them out, which to me is okay as long as he's good at it.
    My short answer - i think the team still has a need at LT. But i think LT wasn't a need last year and Banner is more of a mauler, so he fit better at RT, that's why he won the job. Chuks strength as a player is his agility, and i'm sure the team is hoping that helps at LT. only time will tell

This passing offense should focus on Harris short, Ju-ju in the mid routes and Claypool mid to deep. The other players to me are NOT reliable enough or dynamic enough to feature. Phase out Ebron and his wimpy blocking and dropped passes and Johnson's drops and concentration lapses unless he has an easy match up. Johnson can stay as the 4th best option on most downs. When he's good you want him to get the ball. Other times you wonder why they threw it to him, at least on down 3.

The Steelers seem to love Harris. So far he's a great fit. I think they take him even if Darrisaw was on the board.

We''ll see what Canada does but given Ben's age I'm for more of a " max protect " let our big three get open type an offense than a five wide let the 5 OL protect type of offense. We have to be honest about that, I think if the ground game is a + this year it can work.

Freiermuth will get his chances as a play action cacher and in the red zone, and Johnson his chances to beat the #3 cover DB. I did't mention Washington yet. Same minor role beating the #3 cover man, which might give him 1-2 games in a starting role.
    Harris as the selection wouldn't have surprised me. but i'd be curious... i think LT is still a need
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Was there a pre-season? I must have missed it! Getting hurt in your first pro start in game #1 of the season is not impressive. Anyway the reason Chucks started.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Ben is going to throw to whoever is open. DJ gets open which is why he has a ton of targets. This will not change because fans don’t like a player.

Looking forward to surprising a few teams this year who have written us off.
    Let's not pretend Ben doesn't trust some guys more than others. I want any whip blockers, including the light weight Johnson who drops too many and makes the type of mistakes to anger coaches and players. Claypool and Ju-ju > Johnson. Johnson is the 3rd WR, or should be / He's not super fast or big. He's not very durable either, and did I mention how he's a light weight as blocker?

This should he a Harris based offense featuring the other two players as pass catchers. Not that Johnson won't get his share of action, I just wanted him limited and shipped out at times out for more reliable player and better blockers fo the OL.