Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Does a Once in 100 yr Player Look Like?

Legend

User Info Menu

What Does a Once in 100 yr Player Look Like?

This guy, according to Dick LeBeau. And we got to watch him play for your favorite team! Think about that. You may not see another like him in your lifetime (unless you plan to live til 200);

https://heavy.com/sports/pittsburgh-...0-year-player/

Dick LeBeau Calls Troy Polamalu a ‘100-Year Player’

By Jason Zasky
    Updated May 20, 2021 at 6:18pm

On Tuesday former Pittsburgh Steelers All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu selected Dick LeBeau, his longtime defensive coordinator, to be his presenter at his Hall of Fame induction ceremony in August.

A day later, LeBeau took the opportunity to speak with Teresa Varley of Steelers.com about Polamalu and what differentiates Troy from pretty much every other professional football player.

“We all know what he did was completely one-in-a-million type of athletic feats,” said LeBeau, who served as Pittsburgh’s defensive coordinator in three separate decades, including 2004-14, years that overlapped almost all of Polamalu’s Hall of Fame career.

One of the things that made Polamalu special was his soft-spoken, humble nature.

“That is why Troy is Troy,” added LeBeau. “He doesn’t think what he did is particularly exceptional, with the assistance of his teammates. We had a great bunch, but Troy was as productive and more as any.”

Indeed Polamalu was spectacularly productive at strong safety. Over the course of 158 games (2003-14) he recorded 783 total tackles (583 solo), including 56 tackles for loss, 12 sacks and 12 quarterback hits. He also intercepted 32 passes and forced 14 fumbles while recovering seven others.

All that helps explain why he was a first-ballot selection for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, not to mention a four-time first-team All-Pro, the NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2010, an eight-time Pro Bowler and a member of the NFL 2000s All-Decade Team.

‘There Won’t Be Another Safety Like Him in 100 Years’
    “I think the good Lord made only one Troy and I am very thankful he placed him in our lives, that being mine and the Pittsburgh Steelers. He’s a once in a generational player. There won’t be another safety like him in another 100 years,” concluded LeBeau, loosely likening him to a 100-year storm or 100-year flood—that is, the kind of player that has a one percent chance of coming around in any given year.

Yet he won’t be the only Pittsburgh safety inducted in the Pro Football Hall of Fame on August 7, 2021. On that same day, former Steelers safety Donnie Shell will be enshrined with him, along with former Steelers head coach Bill Cowher.

Of course, LeBeau, 83, is already a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, having been enshrined as a member of the Class of 2010. LeBeau was a fifth-round pick of the Cleveland Browns in the 1959 NFL Draft but was released during training camp his rookie year. He went on to play for the Detroit Lions for 14 seasons (1959-72) and intercepted 62 passes over the course of 185 career games.

Hall of Fame Weekend 2021 will be a big weekend for the Steelers organization, as former offensive guard Alan Faneca will be inducted on August 8. The festivities kick off, literally and figuratively, when the Steelers take on the Dallas Cowboys in the Hall of Fame game on Thursday August 5th. It will be Pittsburgh’s seventh appearance in the annual classic, having posted a 3-3 record in its prior appearances.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

We will probably never see another player like Troy again. It was a pleasure to watch him play.

I wonder how the people who felt Troy was a bust feel about him now?

Legend

User Info Menu

I will always argue Troy was the most important piece in our SB runs.

Such an amazing player.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

So many unbelievable plays.

Troy was basically a video game character.

Amazing skill with uncanny instincts.

The clip of McAfee talking about how Troy sniffed out his fake is amazing.

Starter

User Info Menu

The interception vs the chargers...where he froze time.

And the Nike commercial w/Tomlinson.

Forever looped in my mind.

Legend

User Info Menu

This one once watched can't be unseen:

https://twitter.com/BlitzVideos/stat...702773766?s=20

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    So many unbelievable plays.

Troy was basically a video game character.

Amazing skill with uncanny instincts.

The clip of McAfee talking about how Troy sniffed out his fake is amazing.
    If you are playing video football and a player has the skills of Troy you'd say this game is stupid, nobody can do that!

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    We will probably never see another player like Troy again. It was a pleasure to watch him play.

I wonder how the people who felt Troy was a bust feel about him now?
    Hahahaha. Troy was a warrior. A terror on defense. A real difference maker.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha