Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 131

Thread: The Steelers are choosing to decline Terrell Edmunds’ 5th year option

  1. #1
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    The Steelers are choosing to decline Terrell Edmunds’ 5th year option

    The Steelers are choosing to decline Terrell Edmunds’ 5th year option

    By Jeff.Hartman@BnGBlitz Updated May 3, 2021

    The Pittsburgh Steelers had to make a very difficult decision with safety Terrell Edmunds. Monday was the deadline for the team to make a decision on the former first round pick’s 5th year option.

    After already picking up the 5th year option for Minkah Fitzpatrick, the question then became would they do the same for Edmunds? With the deadline approaching the Steelers decided to decline the option on Edmunds.

    The amount of the option for Edmunds would have been $6.753 million as he earned enough playing time to put him into the second category under the new system established in the most recent Collective Bargaining Agreement. Had Edmunds made a Pro Bowl, his option would have been for more than $9 million. By picking up Fitzpatrick’s option, the Steelers shelled out $10.621 million for 2022 which fully guarantees his fourth-year and fifth-year salaries. As for Edmunds, he is now set to be a free agent following the 2021 season.

    The decision for the Steelers to not pick up Edmunds’ option marks the third time the Steelers have not picked up the option on a first round pick since the option became a part of the NFL contract for first round picks. The other two instances were with Jarvis Jones and Artie Burns.

    Not picking up the option doesn’t mean Edmunds is automatically done in Pittsburgh. The Steelers could still sign Edmunds to a second contract, one which they feel would be more fitting for how they view Edmunds’ worth. However, to do so Edmunds will likely first have to try his hand at free agency. If he finds there isn’t a better deal out there, he certainly could return to the Steelers. It is possible, but unlikely.

    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...-breaking-news
    Only a true coward puts someone on ignore on a message board.

  2. #2
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    This is a mild surprise IMO.

    I thought that we would have picked up the option so that we were set at S for the next few years and we could focus on upgrading our CBs after this year.

    I think he's a solid guy, but would obviously like more splash plays from him.

    Hoping that we can get a long term deal done at a value that's less than the option value for Edmunds.

  3. #3
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    I think this upcoming season is huge for him. If he continues to improve he will get a deal done.

  4. #4
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    My opinion dated to the day he was drafted was Edmunds was a 3rd round talent. In fact thats where I mocked him. He did better last season thats to a fierce pass rush, a simplified coverage ( For him ) and Fitzsimmons playing next to him. His angles to the ball need work, He's not a hitter or wrap up tackler ( I think he lead the team in missed tackles ) he doesn't turn his head around while running, and last year aside, he's not a splash play type of guy.

    He's not worth a 1st round option. Next year hopefully Colbert focuses on the DB's a bit more.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

  5. #5
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    I don't think he is done or they are displeased. I believe they will try to negotiate a 4 year contract at a better price.

    He is not a bad player is is always available and plays well with Minkah.

    If they don't retain him then they will have a ton of cap space to go after a Safety they like. Like I always say, they are thinking 4 moves ahead of any of us.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 05-03-2021 at 11:50 AM.
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

  6. #6
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I don't think he is done or they are displeased. I believe they will try to negotiate a 4 year contract at a better price.

    He is not a bad player is is always available and plays well with Minkah.

    If they don't retain him then they will have a ton of cap space to go after a Safety they like. Like I always say, they are thinking 4 moves ahead of any of us.
    yeah.. I agree. Still a bit surprised but I have no idea what he is “worth” to us on a second contract.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?


  7. #7
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    My opinion dated to the day he was drafted was Edmunds was a 3rd round talent. In fact thats where I mocked him. He did better last season thats to a fierce pass rush, a simplified coverage ( For him ) and Fitzsimmons playing next to him. His angles to the ball need work, He's not a hitter or wrap up tackler (I think he lead the team in missed tackles ) he doesn't turn his head around while running, and last year aside, he's not a splash play type of guy.

    He's not worth a 1st round option. Next year hopefully Colbert focuses on the DB's a bit more.
    There are two ways to read this statement:

    "I am very good at evaluating prospects".

    and

    "I made my mind up before seeing him play in the NFL, and I am not willing to change my opinion despite any evidence to the contrary".

    It's not as egregious as if he won the league MVP and you still think he sucks, but he's certainly beaten the expectations for a 3rd round pick IMO (even if he hasn't lived up to the hopes of a late 1st round pick).

    Re: missed tackles

    This was a problem for him 2 seasons ago, but I believe that his missed tackle rate was one of the lowest on the team last year. His problem IMO is almost no splash plays (INTS / PICKS).

  8. #8
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    yeah.. I agree. Still a bit surprised but I have no idea what he is “worth” to us on a second contract.
    A transition tag next offseason could let us know what he’s “worth” on the open market.

  9. #9
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    A transition tag next offseason could let us know what he’s “worth” on the open market.
    Maybe, but I think that would be more expensive than his 5th year option.

    I think the Transition tag is the average of the top 10 players at the position.

    And the 5th year option for him would have been the average of the 3rd through 20th players at the position.

    Seems to me like it would be better to use the cheaper option that gives us exclusive rights for another year.

  10. #10
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Most passed defensed and lowest miss tackle rate of his career last season so the guy has improved. Not picking up the option tells me one of two things; they like how he has improved but not at the price, or maybe they looked at the AFCN personnel and have decided they are going to need a different type of player in the secondary.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •