Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Day after draft 5 thoughts

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Day after draft 5 thoughts

I love this draft, I think you need to step back and see what we really accomplished. ( besides the obvious we just got physical)

1) the Run game- Harris (period)

2) restocked the OL, our OL got picked apart over the past three years through FA, and just getting old. Do you guys remember how deep it was when we had the likes of Hubbard, Feiler and Finney as our back ups.
    BEST case scenerio: Moore-Dotson-Green-Decastro-Banner bench: Finney & Coward IOL, Chucks and Haig at T
    Worst case scenerio: Chucks-Dotson-Finney-Decastro-Banner bench: Green & Coward IOL, Haig and Moore at T

3) We can get rid of the dead weight, bye, bye Gentry, Haussner, Sammuels/Snell, and perhaps Ebron ( maybe I am getting ahead of myself!)

4) I think we added legit depth to the ILB & OLB core... Roche is going to show flashes and the same with Buddy.

5) if this is a rebuild year, it reset the foundation, with out us being a horrid team, I still think we can compete in the AFC.

We might of been saying WTF, we did nothing for our DBS. I think they saw how deep the FA market is at CB and pre determined to go that route. They had to wait on the comp formula to expire. ( Even Butler hinted at that, mentioned during his interview, still need a CB)
    Last edited by steeler_george; 05-02-2021 at 07:45 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree it was a good draft...won't say "love" but they did a good job getting good players

1. Harris is a no brainer. best RB in the draft and will automatically make the running game better. Where Conner was a 6...Harris is a 10.

2. I love what the Freiermuth pick. We have nothing past Ebron at TE and the same people on this board who constantly complain about Ebron are now the same who complain about Freiermuth. Freiermuth is good and will be a solid 10 year player for us at a position of need. Second best TE in the draft.

3. Solid job adding talent on the OL. The team was clear they believe in Banner and Chuks. Replacing Feiler with Dotson is an automatic upgrade. Dotson was better than Felier (and Decastro) last season and I don't know why he didn't play ahead of Feiler. Green will be good. Klemm said he watched 2 year of every play Green made. Great mobility, ferocious attitude. Perhaps Decastro goes to Center and Green steps in at Right Guard. Lots for Klemm to work with

4. Good defensive depth added. They weren't looking for starters but for guys to come in compete and earn jobs...they did that

I'd rate the draft a solid "B" which when drafting in the mid-20s is a good job.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

I have to admit I hated this draft as it went pick by pick, but in the end I like it better. Despite how I may feel about any of the picks, who else we could have got at that point, etc, I can’t say that we aren’t significantly improved from where we were before the draft.

Not taking Humphrey at 55 burned me. In retrospect, however, Green is a much more physical player and may represent the type of toughness this OL has lacked. Throw in Moore and last years Dotson, the future of this line looks very physical, which I like.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that by ‘22 (if not this year) we’ll have 4 starters from this draft in Harris, Freiermuth, Green and Moore.

The Roche pick was “a steal”, and although I’m not big on picking punters, turns out the guys I would have considered picking there (CBs) that we’re available we ended up with anyway in S. Brown and Gilbert.

Go get a vet CB from the FA pile and maybe another OLB type and/or a S and we’ll be a good solid contender again this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerMaine83 View Post
    I have to admit I hated this draft as it went pick by pick, but in the end I like it better. Despite how I may feel about any of the picks, who else we could have got at that point, etc, I can’t say that we aren’t significantly improved from where we were before the draft. agreed, although many will argue about the degree of improvement and whether we kept pace with the rest of the AFCN.

Not taking Humphrey at 55 burned me. In retrospect, however, Green is a much more physical player and may represent the type of toughness this OL has lacked. Throw in Moore and last years Dotson, the future of this line looks very physical, which I like. Clearly the team had other priorities than just what is on a stat sheet. The guy they picked plays with anger and Klemm is looking for a few angry men. Enough playing patty-cake with the DL, which is what it looked like last season.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that by ‘22 (if not this year) we’ll have 4 starters from this draft in Harris, Freiermuth, Green and Moore. The OL needed at least two new starters. They have legitimate candidates.

The Roche pick was “a steal”, and although I’m not big on picking punters, turns out the guys I would have considered picking there (CBs) that we’re available we ended up with anyway in S. Brown and Gilbert. Prefer the Steelers stick with the FA route for CBs. They simply can't draft them.

Go get a vet CB from the FA pile and maybe another OLB type and/or a S and we’ll be a good solid contender again this year. yes to this..
    _____good stuff.....my thoughts.....

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerMaine83 View Post
    I have to admit I hated this draft as it went pick by pick, but in the end I like it better. Despite how I may feel about any of the picks, who else we could have got at that point, etc, I can’t say that we aren’t significantly improved from where we were before the draft.

Not taking Humphrey at 55 burned me. In retrospect, however, Green is a much more physical player and may represent the type of toughness this OL has lacked. Throw in Moore and last years Dotson, the future of this line looks very physical, which I like.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that by ‘22 (if not this year) we’ll have 4 starters from this draft in Harris, Freiermuth, Green and Moore.

The Roche pick was “a steal”, and although I’m not big on picking punters, turns out the guys I would have considered picking there (CBs) that we’re available we ended up with anyway in S. Brown and Gilbert.

Go get a vet CB from the FA pile and maybe another OLB type and/or a S and we’ll be a good solid contender again this year.
    This is how I feel .....

We set the stage nicely for a smooth transition of personnel one O-line.

We got the second highest rated TE in the draft. And he can block which is going to help our run game.

I expect a couple of guys to stick from our UDFA’s and hopefully it’s a linebacker and CB.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't follow college players, but I think it's smart how this draft was attacked. Get the limited skills position first and attack the deep position last.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I absolutely love this draft because anything Tomlin does gives me a boner. I thought going in that we had major holes everywhere (C,OL,LB,RB,DB,etc,etc), but i was obviously wrong. Instead of drafting for need, we were able to draft luxury picks, projects, etc.

As an example, I thought we had a glaring hole at center. I was wrong. We're so strong there, we were able to pick a guy that's played 4 games at center in his career!

I'm glad you guys love this draft. Aside from Harris, this is the 2016 draft all over again

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
    I absolutely love this draft because anything Tomlin does gives me a boner. I thought going in that we had major holes everywhere (C,OL,LB,RB,DB,etc,etc), but i was obviously wrong. Instead of drafting for need, we were able to draft luxury picks, projects, etc.

As an example, I thought we had a glaring hole at center. I was wrong. We're so strong there, we were able to pick a guy that's played 4 games at center in his career!

I'm glad you guys love this draft. Aside from Harris, this is the 2016 draft all over again
    I can see why you feel that way. But we’ve got to let this now play out in the second wave of free agency.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post

2016 draft was terrible ; and we’ve still got ball washers trying to defend that draft class! Lol

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    2016 draft was terrible ; and we’ve still got ball washers trying to defend that draft class! Lol
    Actually this reminds me of the 2015 draft. Good 1st rounder, then they reach for a bunch of projects and guys with 'position flexibility'. Maybe a novel idea would be to just draft a guy that can play one position really well.