Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 277

Thread: Canada's Offense

  1. #221
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Every season we are a higher ranked passing team than running team, and it is not close. wrong, not in the years bell was here. use the link
    I did use the link. Every single season on that list with Bell, we are in the lower half of run/pass ratio. YOUR criteria.

    Every single season we are in the top half pass over run ratio.. Every single season.

    Heck, even a the goaline we were pass first WITH Bell.

    Nobody is saying what we had the past couple of seasons wasn't straight trash. Run game was AWEFUL. It has been far worse. Yes we HAD to pass a ton.

    But have had a pass first offense for over a decade...not compared to Franco/Rocky..compared to the league. We can't do that no more.

    The point people are making is that now that we have a quality back, we need to turn that ratio around. The last time with a quality back in Bell we STILL passed more than 2/3s of the league. That's all.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-20-2021 at 02:41 AM.

  2. #222
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I did use the link. Every single season on that list with Bell, we are in the lower half of run/pass ratio. YOUR criteria.


    Every single season we are in the top half pass over run ratio.. Every single season.

    Heck, even a the goaline we were pass first WITH Bell.

    Nobody is saying what we had the past couple of seasons wasn't straight trash. Run game was AWEFUL. It has been far worse. Yes we HAD to pass a ton.

    But have had a pass first offense for over a decade...not compared to Franco/Rocky..compared to the league. We can't do that no more.

    The point people are making is that now that we have a quality back, we need to turn that ratio around. The last time with a quality back in Bell we STILL passed more than 2/3s of the league. That's all.
    No, you're taking the national media's agenda and trying to spin it against ben because you think they passed the ball too much and think that's the offense ben has wanted.
    i'm saying that's the offense we needed to deploy because the run game was bad after we lost bell

    in reality, they passed it as much on average as the rest of the league did.
    for example in 2014, 24 teams passed the ball at least 54% of the time. 75% of the teams in the league
    three years later in 2017, the same number of teams passed at the same percentage (houston 53.96)

    also , you are again discounting the number of screens we ran with bell. those plays are not "relying on ben's arm" like you are suggesting. they are featuring our talented back to get him in space and get the ball in his hands some more. hence the **ran the wheels off him**. trying to take advantage of the receiving TALENT he had.
    subtract 80 + passes attempts to bell and put them in the run category and you'll find the ratio numbers even closer

    yes, we need to run the ball a whole lot more then the last 3 years. that's easier to do when you (finally) address the run game problem with a high pick
    in the years with bell , they ran/screened the ball more then enough
    Last edited by NJ-STEELER; 06-20-2021 at 04:11 PM.

  3. #223
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post

    Every season we are a higher ranked passing team than running team, and it is not close.

    .
    as does the rest of the league as i showed with the above stats.
    in 2014 there were 25 teams topping the 54% passing ratio. more then 75% of the league

    its not the 70s anymore

  4. #224
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    as does the rest of the league as i showed with the above stats.
    in 2014 there were 25 teams topping the 54% passing ratio. more then 75% of the league

    its not the 70s anymore
    Again you aren't listening.
    I am talking "ranking". Not absolute numbers.

    LOOK AT YOUR OWN LINK.

    Sort that same list in decending order. Run pass ratio. We are bottom half every season.

    Allow me to clarify.

    Of THIRTY TWO TEAMS in the NFL we are consistently ranked below HALF of those teams, in run/pass ratio.

    I am not comparing us with the 70s. I am not suggesting we run MORE than we pass.

    Relative to the REST OF THE LEAGUE we pass a greater percentage of the time...EVERY YEAR even WITH Bell.

    All the reference article said is we need to run more than we have because Ben is getting old. Don't overly worried about what Canada said. We can't live on Bens arm and Canada knows that.

    The article is correct. Ideally, we don't want to be top 10 in pass attempt because Ben cannot carry a team at this stage of his career. You make it like the article (and me) are hating on Ben. All it is saying he is older.

    Do we need to be Baltimore in running? No. Do we need to run more than pass? No it is 2021.

    All I want is to lean more on the run than the average NFL team. Can I have that?

    I don't want us to be 20th in run/pass ratio with an aging quarterback, which happened even when we had an elite back in the past.

    Thus my issue with your take. Its not that the writer "forgets" the Bell era.

    Even in the Bell era we relied more on Bens arm than most teams did their quarterbacks.

    That has to change.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-20-2021 at 04:57 PM.

  5. #225
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    No, you're taking the national media's agenda and trying to spin it against ben because you think they passed the ball too much and think that's the offense ben has wanted.
    This is wholly not true.

    I have never ever ONCE blamed Ben for our run pass ratio. I think you confuse me with someone who does that. I don't think Ben would have an ounce of an issue with running more at this stage.of his career.

    This forum has a nice search tool. Feel free to try to prove otherwise

    i'm saying that's the offense we needed to deploy because the run game was bad after we lost bell
    Don't disagree at all on this. We did what we had to do under the circumstances. I never blamed Ben for passing so much.

    in reality, they passed it as much on average as the rest of the league did.
    Not true at all. Your numbers below prove nothing as you are looking at league trends. You not comparing the Steelers to the rest of the league.

    for example in 2014, 24 teams passed the ball at least 54% of the time. 75% of the teams in the league
    three years later in 2017, the same number of teams passed at the same percentage (houston 53.96)
    Tells us absolutely nothing about where the Steelers land relative to the league in general.

    Also , you are again discounting the number of screens we ran with bell. those plays are not "relying on ben's arm" like you are suggesting. they are featuring our talented back to get him in space and get the ball in his hands some more. hence the **ran the wheels off him**. trying to take advantage of the receiving TALENT he had.
    subtract 80 + passes attempts to bell and put them in the run category and you'll find the ratio numbers even closer
    Oh come on. First not every pass to Bell was a stinkin screen. 2017- 85 passes to Bell, team was 6th in pass attempts 4th in yards? That is not what happens when you are living off screens.

    If you classify short passes as runs, that is EXACTLY what we did last year to an unprecedented degree. We're we not relying on Ben's arm? This argument is ridiculous.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-20-2021 at 05:43 PM.

  6. #226
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post

    in reality, they passed it as much on average as the rest of the league did.
    for example in 2014, 24 teams passed the ball at least 54% of the time. 75% of the teams in the league
    three years later in 2017, the same number of teams passed at the same percentage (houston 53.96)
    Look at your numbers above. How did the Bell era Steelers compare?

    In 2017 Bell had the most carries of his career BY FAR.
    Steelers passed over 59 percent of the time. Ran less than 41 percent of the time.

    Run/pass ratio, higher to lower run percentage...Steelers were 20th...Bell's career high in carries a season Bell led the league in carries.

    Our team was 6th in attempts, 4th in yardage passing that year. DESPITE all those sceen passes to Bell.

  7. #227
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Look at your numbers above. How did the Bell era Steelers compare?

    In 2017 Bell had the most carries of his career BY FAR.
    Steelers passed over 59 percent of the time. Ran less than 41 percent of the time.

    Run/pass ratio, higher to lower run percentage...Steelers were 20th...Bell's career high in carries a season Bell led the league in carries.

    Our team was 6th in attempts, 4th in yardage passing that year. DESPITE all those sceen passes to Bell.
    soo, you wanted to run him even more? and have what 30-35 touches a game?

    or just run for the sake of running? and run it with a 2nd/3rd team back?

    more then 75% of the league passed it more then 54% of the time (context).
    some teams with QBs far less talented then the QB in pittsburgh.

    you're pissing and moaning over a 5% difference which also including the long handoffs/screens to bell acting like we were using the run and shoot

    beyond the numbers, the offense featured bell with the run and screen game. are you disagreeing with that?

    you're caught up with some non sense that the screens we threw to bell are "relying on ben's arm" when they are plays designed to feature the receiving skills of the RB. they skew the run/pass ratio numbers and foolishly get the Yinzers to scream out..
    RUN THE BALL!!!!!!!!! YOI
    Last edited by NJ-STEELER; 06-20-2021 at 09:01 PM.

  8. #228
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post




    Sort that same list in decending order. Run pass ratio. We are bottom half every season

    Relative to the REST OF THE LEAGUE we pass a greater percentage of the time...EVERY YEAR even WITH Bell.

    we're with in 5% of 75% of the league in regards to ratio. thats with counting those screen passes to bell.
    some how that's a big deal to you.
    turn those screens passes to the run side and the numbers are closer.
    disproving your theory of relying on ben's arm in the years awe had bell on the team

    All the reference article said is we need to run more than we have because Ben is getting old. Don't overly worried about what Canada said. We can't live on Bens arm and Canada knows that.

    i'm not disagreeing with that coming into the 2021 season. i'm disagreeing with your statement on the years bell was with the team

    .
    ...........................

  9. #229
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post

    Thus my issue with your take. Its not that the writer "forgets" the Bell era.

    Even in the Bell era we relied more on Bens arm than most teams did their quarterbacks.
    .
    again, is the writer focusing on the raw numbers and not the number of screens we threw with bell?


    you're caught up too much with the rankings, the actual percentage numbers aren't far off then the rest of the league

    2013 . Pitt threw the ball 59.8% of the time

    other note worthy percentages that year

    falcons and matt ryan 67% of the time (1st)
    dallas and romo 65.5 %
    brees with the saints 62.4 %
    eli and the NYG 59.8 %

    that fearful baltimore ground attack everyone is afraid off threw it 59.4% of the time


    2017 Pitt 57.45 %

    rogers and GB 59.28 %
    giants 60.68 %

    god's gift to QBing and the patriots 56.71%

    we didn't rely on ben's arm much differently then how a lot of other teams did with their QBs

  10. #230
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    This is wholly not true.

    I have never ever ONCE blamed Ben for our run pass ratio. I think you confuse me with someone who does that.

    .
    then i apologize for that.

    when i see this brought up, especially on other sites, the theme seems to be that its ben who is designing the offense this way.

    as you can probably tell, i've had more then a few back and forths with them

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •