Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 277

Thread: Canada's Offense

  1. #171
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Because it wasn't all bad last season. Ben showed he can still play. He is better than any other the Steelers QBs on the roster at this point. He was going to count against the salary capp if they kept him or not.

    He will have a full offseason without having to rehab his elbow. He should be more comfortable from a mental and physical perspective.

    The organization wanted to give him another opportunity. He earned it.

    ********* smh... disappointed they will again kowtow to Roethlisberger. But I am not surprised if they do. After all, look what the last OC did. How'd that turn out? **************


    here's the poster you should be addressing. the one who took a shot at the starting QB of the steelers for (nearly) the last 2 decades

  2. #172
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    ********* smh... disappointed they will again kowtow to Roethlisberger. But I am not surprised if they do. After all, look what the last OC did. How'd that turn out? **************


    here's the poster you should be addressing. the one who took a shot at the starting QB of the steelers for (nearly) the last 2 decades
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    agreed. Sad.
    and how about the guy who agreed with him?
    Only a true coward puts someone on ignore on a message board.

  3. #173
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    ********* smh... disappointed they will again kowtow to Roethlisberger. But I am not surprised if they do. After all, look what the last OC did. How'd that turn out? **************


    here's the poster you should be addressing. the one who took a shot at the starting QB of the steelers for (nearly) the last 2 decades
    You asked the question and I gave you some answers. I am not disappointed because I can see some of the positives and have optimism for the team. There are also negatives associated with bring Ben back. I recognize some of the negatives. I choose to be optimistic and positive. For the simple fact that I can't do anything about the decision making of the organization. That being said, the factors that I can control are my emotions and point of view.

    You can be pessimistic and negative. Fair deal?

    How did last season work out? The team went on an 11 game winning streak to start the season. No one believe that would happen. The team fell short for several reasons. That's sports.

    When the QB doesn't perform well he's going to take a big portion of the criticism. QB is usually the highest paid position on the team. QBs influence the game more than any other position. Fair or unfair criticism comes with the territory. I didn't make it that way. It's just the way that it is.

    Head coaches are also going to take their fair share of criticism. That's the nature of the position. That being said, not everything is the head coaches fault.

  4. #174
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I’m hoping this is just Canada saying what he knows Ben wants/needs to hear.
    This is the first thing I thought when I read it.
    Even more so...dignifying Ben in public. I think he will "persuade" Ben so the changes don't feel forced upon him, but feel colaborative. Yes, he shouldn't take Ben out of his comfort zone but colab with him on changes that he can comfortably implement. Tailor his offense to the talent on the team. If my speculation is true, I like it.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-16-2021 at 12:38 AM.

  5. #175
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    This is the first thing I thought when I read it.
    Even more so...dignifying Ben in public. I think he will "persuade" Ben so the changes don't feel forced upon him, but feel colaborative. Yes, he shouldn't take Ben out of his comfort zone but colab with him on changes that he can comfortably implement. Tailor his offense to the talent on the team. If my speculation is true, I like it.
    MC can do both. The problems will rare their ugly head if Ben can no longer execute the offense.

  6. #176
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    if that's what you think happens

    why didn't the coach want to move away from Ben this off season?
    I was actually hoping they would move on from Roethlisberger and take the cap hit this season. I've said before, Roethlisberger will win regular season games. But I am not optimistic when it comes to any post season play. Their last best chance I think was 2017 when they had a good ground and passing game. But of course the defense got wrecked after the injury to Shazier that season.

    To answer your question; I have no clue why Tomlin wanted Roethlisberger back. I assume he felt Roethlisberger gave him his best chance to get back to a SB.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 06-16-2021 at 07:07 AM.

  7. #177
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    This is the first thing I thought when I read it.
    Even more so...dignifying Ben in public. I think he will "persuade" Ben so the changes don't feel forced upon him, but feel colaborative. Yes, he shouldn't take Ben out of his comfort zone but colab with him on changes that he can comfortably implement. Tailor his offense to the talent on the team. If my speculation is true, I like it.
    This is a lot like what happened in Tampa with Arians and Brady last season. A very disjointed offense until the bye week. Read where Arians was trying to force Brady into more longer throws. Then the QB and HC got together after that and somehow made it work. Regardless of what Canada (or Roethlisberger for that matter) says, there WILL have to be changes to the offense. I mean, how can we expect a different result running the same stuff?

  8. #178
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    This is a lot like what happened in Tampa with Arians and Brady last season. A very disjointed offense until the bye week. Read where Arians was trying to force Brady into more longer throws. Then the QB and HC got together after that and somehow made it work. Regardless of what Canada (or Roethlisberger for that matter) says, there WILL have to be changes to the offense. I mean, how can we expect a different result running the same stuff?
    Ultimately it will come down to how many / what kind of changes Ben wants to implement.

    He's the franchise QB and the offense we get will be because he agrees to it. I don't think anything will be forced on him.

    After all, he's the one who calls the play in the huddle. And he's said multiple times that he'll call what he wants regardless of what the OC wants to do.

    Hopefully the collapse last year will leave him more open to new ideas.

    If we look at our offense last year through the same lens you're talking about with Tampa, we might come to the conclusion that Canada wants more motion (which we did early in the year), but Ben doesn't like it (so we did less motion later in the year).

    Given that all of the "Matt Canada Offense" stuff that I've seen people post is heavy on motion to confuse defenses, I'm not sure abandoning motion last year screams "successful marriage of what both Ben and Canada like".

    But I'm hopeful that whatever we get will be better than the end of last year. Can't really be worse, right?

    I think several reports have suggested we've been running basically the same offense for multiple OCs. Hopefully Canada can bring something new to the table to make us harder to prepare for.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 06-16-2021 at 07:45 AM.

  9. #179
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    if that's what you think happens

    why didn't the coach want to move away from Ben this off season?
    Maybe he thinks Ben is better than Haskins and Mason?

    Maybe he thinks Ben still has something left?

    Maybe he didnít want to bring him back but Colbert and Rooney did?

    Who knows.. but since he is returning lets hope there are enough changes that put Ben in the best position to play his best football
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  10. #180
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Maybe he thinks Ben is better than Haskins and Mason?

    Maybe he thinks Ben still has something left?

    Maybe he didn’t want to bring him back but Colbert and Rooney did?

    Who knows.. but since he is returning lets hope there are enough changes that put Ben in the best position to play his best football
    That's a good point dizz. Canada is not saying there won't be changes. He is saying the QB will be comfortable with what they do.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •