Thread: Lots of FAs Still Available

Legend

User Info Menu

Lots of FAs Still Available

Who’s left out there that you think we should consider.

I was looking thru lists of remaining FAs and you could probably create a competitive team with just guys currently on the street.

We have so many holes to fill, but must feel alright with what we have. I don’t see why we wouldn’t scoop a couple more FAs up to solidify the roster.

There’s big names out there but very little money across the league. I would think some guys could be desperate to sign soon. Others might just be waiting for injuries and the right team to have a need.

Starter

User Info Menu

The number of veteran players who still have some tread on their tires that will be available after the draft will be astounding this year.

I think we’re sitting in the pre-draft doldrums right now, as the big money is spent and teams will decide between draft pick or veteran. I think there could be 250-350 veterans looking for a team after the draft, many of whom will have to take a low money COVID year salary.

I would consider 1 or 2 low cost adds through FA (perhaps a slot CB and a #2 TE so those positions will add late round picks or UDFA for depth) to help with the holes.

Already the most interesting offseason ever, this makes it more so.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the problem is we don't really have any cap space.

I believe we are about $11.25 M under the cap per the NFLPA. But there's a bunch of stuff that doesn't include (e.g. extra 2 players to get to 53, no practice squad, no rookie pool, no cushion - usually go in somewhere between $5m and $10m for injuries).

Dave at The Depot thinks we're actually about $2M over after all those other expenses hit the cap.
    https://steelersdepot.com/2021/04/st...as-of-april-2/

Restructuring Tuitt and Boswell will free up about $5M in space.

If we do those moves, he projects that we have a little under $3m left to spend on UFAs.

I won't be surprised if we leave Haden's contract alone or if we do a dummy extension to free up more space this year and pile up more dead money next year. We seem torn between going for it and setting up a rebuild, so who knows.

But if doing that gets us a chance at another good player (a CB?) maybe we do it?
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 04-08-2021 at 01:32 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't look for any signings until after the draft.