Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going Dark

Legend

User Info Menu

Going Dark

Don't know if anyone else noticed but teams are not releasing much information right now. I usually dig for tidbits every day but it's tough right now.
    This is the time when FOs clamp down on the flow of news heading into the draft.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yeah, I never realized, or thought of it, this until a week ago when, Steeler Radio, Matt Williamson mentioned it.

Usually two weeks before the draft they go dark, I guess we made all our FA-cap moves...

With that in mind, what the team is telling us.
    1) We now have vet depth all along the OL. ( we were hit hard past 2 years on OL)
    2) WR a strength once again
    3) shake up on D ( take it as a good thing, teams were adapting to us)
    4) we are drafting RB, OC, and ILB .... no moves made to fill those voids just backups Snell, Finney, Spillane
    5) We are looking for a cover 6' plus ILB ( hybrid safety type, not a thumper) just look at all they ILB/S they contact with Browning, Wallow, Deablo ( he is a big Safety) , Collins
    6) I want to include TE, but I think we probably trade or pick one up after the draft ( Colbert likes vet boom or bust TEs)
    7) VW, AV, Conner, still unsigned FA. I wonder if they have under the table agreements for post draft day.
    Last edited by steeler_george; 04-06-2021 at 05:17 PM.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Don't know if anyone else noticed but teams are not releasing much information right now. I usually dig for tidbits every day but it's tough right now.
    This is the time when FOs clamp down on the flow of news heading into the draft.

It's the calm before the storm. The draft is coming and many teams don't have money to make a free agent splash. Players are sitting, but just wait for it, come May and beyond it will be a K-Mart blue light special on unsigned players.

The main media news has been on two very different QB's. One has a real problem with women giving him massages and accusing him of assault. The other for some reason is viewed as good when he was anything but in New York.

As Chevy Chase would say, and, that's the news,
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 04-07-2021 at 11:33 AM.
    Realistic rebuild mock draft 3-29-2021.Plan to spend $110,094,402 in cap space in 2022 and have 4 comp picks + what we have in the 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

1) RB Najee Harris - A 3 down back, makes em; miss, runs then over, Gets outside, blocks like a top FB
    2 ) LT Dillon Radunz
    3 ) CB Paulson Adebo -
    4a ) C Drake Jackson-
    4b ) TE Tommy Temble
    6) G / C Cole Van Lanen -
    7a ) S Darmr Hamln -
    7b ) ILB Erroll Thompson

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    It's the calm before the storm. The draft is coming and many teams don't have money to make a free agent splash. Players are sitting, but just wait for it, come May and beyond it will be a K-Mart blue light special on unsigned players.

The main media news has been on two very different QB's. One has a real problem with women giving him massages as accusing him of assault. The other for some reason is viewed as good when he was anything but in New York.

As Chevy Chase would say, and, that's the news,
    I was thinking the same. I don't think the Steelers are done with FA signings yet. Wait til after the draft or even later when some good vet talent hits the street as rosters get finalized. Teams with cap money will be able to really fine tune their rosters and fill out with quality depth this season. I am jealous of them. But next season will be the Steelers turn!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't think very much will be heard or seen from now until the draft. Pretty smart move.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I was thinking the same. I don't think the Steelers are done with FA signings yet. Wait til after the draft or even later when some good vet talent hits the street as rosters get finalized. Teams with cap money will be able to really fine tune their rosters and fill out with quality depth this season. I am jealous of them. But next season will be the Steelers turn!
    No doubt we are not finished. Teams have made their "pre draft" moves and are settling in and focusing on the draft and what (if any ) moves will be made during the draft. I like it. Everyone has retreated to their power rooms, plotting and planning.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    I don't think very much will be heard or seen from now until the draft. Pretty smart move.
    I wish we would have gone dark the year we wanted William Jackson III and ended up with Artie Burns instead.
    Planet Steelers 2021 Mock Draft:

1.24 Najee Harris RB Alabama
    2.55 Walker Little OT Stanford

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    Colbert usually has a PC right before the draft to answer and pre-draft questions. It’s boring, dry and nothing of substance. Just as it should be.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I wish we would have gone dark the year we wanted William Jackson III and ended up with Artie Burns instead.
    This is so common with us.

Everyone knows who we like and someone will move in front of us once again.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    That assumes that the Bengals would have taken somebody else, despite the fact that they desperately needed a CB and he was probably the best one on the board.