Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drafting trends

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Not sure if anyone saw, but Michigan RB Chris Evans put on a show at his Pro Day too
    Tons of RB options after the first round.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I wouldnít be surprised if this was our Day 2 pick. We like Big 10 players.
    Evans is more of a Day 3 selection.
    Planet Steelers 2021 Mock Draft:

1.24 Najee Harris RB Alabama
    2.55 Walker Little OT Stanford

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    like there were when we drafted connor, snell. mcfadden, samuels

how's that working out for us?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Evans is more of a Day 3 selection.
    damn.. if he last until day 3 I have reservations.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    like there were when we drafted connor, snell. mcfadden, samuels

how's that working out for us?
    You missed a few NJ. Like nearly every good back the Steelers drafted since Franco. Add to that the ease of acquiring good backs via trade and free agency.

I am 57 years old. The only great back the Steelers drafted in the first during my lifetime was Franco when I was a little kid.

Bell? Most productive drafted back since Franco.

Willie Parker? Winningess back since Franco.

Barry Foster? Season record holder OVER Franco

Bettis is our only other HOF back and we got him easily without selling the farm.

Since Franco:

48 years.
    4 first round runningbacks
    A grand total of TWO thousand yard seasons combined in the careers of those 4 backs.

How'd THAT work for us?

We are nearly as bad at drafting 1st round backs as corners.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 04-06-2021 at 10:06 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I am 57 years old. The only great back the Steelers drafted in the first during my lifetime was Franco when I was a little kid.

Bell? Most productive back since Franco.

Since Franco:

48 years.
    A grand total of TWO thousand yard seasons combined in the careers of those 4 backs.

How'd THAT work for us?

We're about the same age. I agree that Franco was the only RB we drafted that deserved to be a first round pick, but the game was completely different in the early 70s. IMO today you get more bang for the buck drafting a WR or TE than a RB because good RBs are still there after Round 1.
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

I wait until after Round 1 for a RB

I think we could see a surprise pick of Pat Freiermuth, TE, PSU in Round 1. Especially if we trade down.

Legend

User Info Menu

Bell? Most productive back since Franco.

Since Franco:

48 years.

How'd THAT work for us?

I'm not as excited about a Rd 1 RB as some are because supply is usually pretty plentiful in every draft. Conner did fine when he had blocking. His problem is he can't stay healthy and he seems to have lost a bit of power. Most teams should be drafting a RB every couple of years because chances are high the current one will need replaced/backed up. The position also has much different demands these days including receiving, pass blocking.

Legend

User Info Menu

You missed a few NJ. Like nearly every good back the Steelers drafted since Franco. Add to that the ease of acquiring good backs via trade and free agency.

Bell? Most productive drafted back since Franco.

Bettis is our only other HOF back and we got him easily without selling the farm.

Since Franco:

48 years.

How'd THAT work for us?

i'm saying we've tried that route in recent years. heck the last decade or so and it hasn't worked. drafting bell in the 2nd IS spending a quality pick on a RB.
    I'd love to take a LT in the first and one of the big 3 backs in the 2nd but i doubt they last that far.
    wait any longer to draft one and its more of a crap shoot that you get a good one. as we've seen with connor , snell, mcfarland etc

by no means am I saying a good back can't be found later in the draft. its been shown through out the league that they can be.
    But for this staff, what ever the reason it has been an major issue