Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac Jones tells Nick Saban what?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    https://tdalabamamag.com/2021/03/25/...nfl-prospects/

Fair, but I just posted a link showing he's a better athlete than several recent 1st round picks. Your report is from an NFL who not naming any sources. I guess the NFL wants to see him roll to his left and drill a deep out pass to his right. While his deep passes lack some MPH, he sees it develop faster than most, and delvers in on the money in stride lowing for an easy catch an era RAC more often than not with good range at 50+ yards. I'll take that over an elite arm with a QB who doesn't recognize his man open as quickly as he should, lacks some accuracy, but ha a cannon for an arm.

Those who are knocking him physically better measure up. Jones has near 10" hands and runs and moves way better than they are trying to pigeon hole him.

If someone asked me to name the four best QB's in football for the past decade, I'd say Brady, Brees, Ben and Rodgers. Brady and Brees did not win with a top arm. Actually I don't think one of these guys ran a faster 40, 2 were smaller, and none were as smart. Saban called Jones a worker, an underrated and hard skill to measure.
    While QBs are fun to speculate on I just don't see any way the Steelers will be able to move up and grab any of the ones worthy of a Rd 1 pick. Half the good ones will be gone by pick 5.

Lawrence to Jacksonville
    Wilson to Jets
    Fields (Lance?) to SF

Then you have teams like Lions, Panthers, Denver looking for a QB. And it would not be shocking if Atlanta also grabbed a QB (how many more seasons does Ryan get?). And if Belichick is a true believer in any remaining he is one guy that will pull the trigger with multiple picks to move up. Being the GM and HC makes that an easy process. After the elite are taken, now you are looking at high risk QBs that should go later rather than sooner.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    While QBs are fun to speculate on I just don't see any way the Steelers will be able to move up and grab any of the ones worthy of a Rd 1 pick. Half the good ones will be gone by pick 5.

Lawrence to Jacksonville
    Wilson to Jets
    Fields (Lance?) to SF

Then you have teams like Lions, Panthers, Denver looking for a QB. And it would not be shocking if Atlanta also grabbed a QB (how many more seasons does Ryan get?). And if Belichick is a true believer in any remaining he is one guy that will pull the trigger with multiple picks to move up. Being the GM and HC makes that an easy process. After the elite are taken, now you are looking at high risk QBs that should go later rather than sooner.
    I agree Lawerence, Wilson, Fields and Lance will be then inside the top ten. The Lion's have their QB and won't be picking one early. As great as defensive coach Belichick is, he's really not a QB coach. If he wanted Brady, he does not wait for him until round six. In addition the Steelers can trade up past New England to get him, say with the Vikings who might value our 3rd round pick to swap places in round one.

Colbert is tight lipped about who he wants in round one, but I did not hear him say we aren't taking QB. I would not rule out Trask or Davis going as early 2nd round picks either, which is what the Panthers or Denver ( Whomever doesn't take the 4th QB in the draft ) can do. So there are plenty of ways to draft Jones.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. Art Rooney II, get a new head coach.

Current mock draft as of 3-18-24

1. QB Nix
    2. C Fraizer
    3. OT Fisher
    3B. DL Smith
    4. S Bullock
    6. WR Pickney
    6. CB Newton

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree Lawerence, Wilson, Fields and Lance will be then inside the top ten. The Lion's have their QB and won't be picking one early. As great as defensive coach Belichick is, he's really not a QB coach. If he wanted Brady, he does not wait for him until round six. In addition the Steelers can trade up past New England to get him, say with the Vikings who might value our 3rd round pick to swap places in round one.

Colbert is tight lipped about who he wants in round one, but I did not hear him say we aren't taking QB. I would not rule out Trask or Davis going as early 2nd round picks either, which is what the Panthers or Denver ( Whomever doesn't take the 4th QB in the draft ) can do. So there are plenty of ways to draft Jones.
    Trask in Round 1 would be a disaster. Like picking Blake Bortles just later in Round 1
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

https://tdalabamamag.com/2021/03/25/...nfl-prospects/

Fair, but I just posted a link showing he's a better athlete than several recent 1st round picks. Your report is from an NFL who not naming any sources. I guess the NFL wants to see him roll to his left and drill a deep out pass to his right. While his deep passes lack some MPH, he sees it develop faster than most, and delvers in on the money in stride lowing for an easy catch an era RAC more often than not with good range at 50+ yards. I'll take that over an elite arm with a QB who doesn't recognize his man open as quickly as he should, lacks some accuracy, but ha a cannon for an arm.

Those who are knocking him physically better measure up. Jones has near 10" hands and runs and moves way better than they are trying to pigeon hole him.

If someone asked me to name the four best QB's in football for the past decade, I'd say Brady, Brees, Ben and Rodgers. Brady and Brees did not win with a top arm. Actually I don't think one of these guys ran a faster 40, 2 were smaller, and none were as smart. Saban called Jones a worker, an underrated and hard skill to measure.
    With statements like "none were as smart", you are KILLING your own argument which should stand on its own. When you're calling some college QB who almost always had a clean pocket smarter than Tom Brady and Drew Brees, you lose credibility instantly. INSTANTLY. Like, i see Forrest Gump on the other end of the keyboard - lol

What i give him: toughness, competitiveness and IQ are underrated these days when it comes to QB. Everyone wants the athlete... but, those 3 characteristics that I named are why Brady keeps winning. And Brees and Peyton Manning are what they were. The story is insight into his competitiveness, which i like. He's not in my own mock (because i think he'll be gone by 24) but if he lasts to 24, i wouldn't be upset if they selected him. He's not worth a trade up because this team has too many needs.

So, IMO all this discussion is likely moot. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go ahead of Trey Lance - and that's the guy you should be scouting to see if he's worthy of the 24th selection.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I was on Mac Jones being our pick at 1/24 in December. But after his playoff run, he put himself out of reach. I will never say NO chance but Mac Jones is a a near lock to be a top 15 pick and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if someone trades up to 5 for him. This thread is pointless.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Trask in Round 1 would be a disaster. Like picking Blake Bortles just later in Round 1
    Trask is Mason Rudolph with less mobility....and Mason isn’t that mobile so that should tell you something.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    I was on Mac Jones being our pick at 1/24 in December. But after his playoff run, he put himself out of reach. I will never say NO chance but Mac Jones is a a near lock to be a top 15 pick and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if someone trades up to 5 for him. This thread is pointless.

SKL, would you trade away next years #1 to move up and take Mac Jones?
    After all, a lot of people are chattering that next year, we have to trade up to get a "franchise QB",(Is Mac a "franchise QB"?) and with gathering comp picks should do it.

I am not really pro this move, but next year having ton of cap and comp picks, it should not hurt missing out on a 1st round pick.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    SKL, would you trade away next years #1 to move up and take Mac Jones?
    After all, a lot of people are chattering that next year, we have to trade up to get a "franchise QB",(Is Mac a "franchise QB"?) and with gathering comp picks should do it.

I am not really pro this move, but next year having ton of cap and comp picks, it should not hurt missing out on a 1st round pick.
    I probably would. There are only 2 (maybe 3) QB's as of right now next year that are franchise QB's. Spencer Rattler and Sam Howell are studs. Kedon Slovis is on that 2nd tier. Rattler and Howell will take more than 1 future #1 to get. SO......yes....If I could get Mac Jones with 1/24 and next years 1st I would.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    Trask is Mason Rudolph with less mobility....and Mason isn’t that mobile so that should tell you something.
    Rudloph has weaker than average arm, no mobility, and IMO is a bit of a punk. How the Steelers had a 1st round grade is something on him I'd like to know. Trask is much better passer with an NFL arm. He can really help himself. The main thing for me is his ball security, If you give him a good OL and good receivers, I think he can be productive.

I might as well put my pipe dream of Mac Jones to rest. NFL network now has him as a top 10 pick.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. Art Rooney II, get a new head coach.

1. QB Nix
    2. C Fraizer
    3. OT Fisher
    3B. DL Smith
    4. S Bullock
    6. WR Pickney
    6. CB Newton

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    I probably would. There are only 2 (maybe 3) QB's as of right now next year that are franchise QB's. Spencer Rattler and Sam Howell are studs. Kedon Slovis is on that 2nd tier. Rattler and Howell will take more than 1 future #1 to get. SO......yes....If I could get Mac Jones with 1/24 and next years 1st I would.
    Howell might be the 1st pick next year. He's got a top arm, accuracy, and runs for yardage like a fullback in the open field. I have seen him play in a few games, a very impressive young man.

Given that Jones is skyrocketing up draft boards, , you might have the trade with Miami ( pick #6 overall ) or Detroit ( Pick #7 overall ) to obtain him.

1. QB Nix
    2. C Fraizer
    3. OT Fisher
    3B. DL Smith
    4. S Bullock
    6. WR Pickney
    6. CB Newton