Thread: My offseason moves 2021 II

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

My offseason moves 2021 II

Here is my first one, http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ffseason+moves, where I flirt with the idea of sticking to our guns, build on our strengths (Defense and WR) , and fill in the blanks to make them strongers ( Run game, OL).

How have things changed, this is written the day after Juju signed and predicted by me http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...Juju-and-Ebron, and Nelson trade demand.

Now where do we go... back to my theme retool the D, OL, and Running game.

I believe Ebron is now expendable with Juju signing, I would release him save 6 million. ( starter? keep reading)

Next thing I think we should address is the Nelson fiasco, which might be a blessing in disguise. Could we trade him for draft picks, or players. Heard some rumeurs of trading for Winovich (before this) or even TE Moreau ( Colbert loves trading for boom or bust TEs). If it was to me I would be full go especially with the Moreau, I think he could start as our #1 TE. He has 2 years of development in the NFL, was known as a blocking TE coming out of college. Right there upgrade at the Run blocking, and is still a receiving threat.

Now with 14 Million in savings ( Ebron 6 + Nelson go get Adore Jackson, young only 25, played on a Titians team that had no pass rush.

Now you have Hade-Jackson- Sutton-Pierre-Layne

Next up, I would still love to get on Winovich, I might even be tempted to trade James Washington for him. JW would match up with Cam's jumpball accuracy.

Now time to restructure/extend and sign FAs...

I would restructure Tuitt, Haden ( yes, Haden), Decasto ( yes) that should give us enough money to sign: say 15-20 Million

FA
    Center- Easton ( N.O) or Blythe (Rams) I think they can be had fairly cheap, solidifies the center position for another year.
    NT/DT- there are a lot of options there... pick one 3.5 million a year
    OT:
    TE:

Pre-draft:

QB: Ben, Rudolf, Haskins
    RB: Snell, McFarland, Sammuels
    Wr: Claypool, DJ, Juju, Ray-ray
    Te: Moreau, Gentry, Radar
    OT: Banner, Chucks
    OG: Dotson, Decastro, Finney,
    C: Blythe/Easton, Finney

DT:Tuitt, Heyward, Wormly,
    NT: FA, Wormly,
    ILB: Bush, Spillane, UG3,
    OLB: Watt, Highsmith, Winovich,
    CB: Haden, Jackson, Sutton, Pierre, Layne
    S: Fitz, Edmunds

Draft: trade back
    1.29 Williams RB
    2.55 Davis ILB
    3.87 Spence OT
    4a Wade S/CB
    4b Mckitty TE
    6 Farrell TE

( i got burnt nd not enough time out too finishing this)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Next year we will have a monstrous amount of cap space. It's currently at $113,194,402, and that's before the projected cap increase. Wow. We also only have 22 players under contract for that year. This draft and the 2022 draft which should be loaded with comp picks and 113M+ in cap space is a lot to work with.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    Here is my first one, http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ffseason+moves, where I flirt with the idea of sticking to our guns, build on our strengths (Defense and WR) , and fill in the blanks to make them strongers ( Run game, OL).

How have things changed, this is written the day after Juju signed and predicted by me http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...Juju-and-Ebron, and Nelson trade demand.

Now where do we go... back to my theme retool the D, OL, and Running game.

I believe Ebron is now expendable with Juju signing, I would release him save 6 million. ( starter? keep reading)

Next thing I think we should address is the Nelson fiasco, which might be a blessing in disguise. Could we trade him for draft picks, or players. Heard some rumeurs of trading for Winovich (before this) or even TE Moreau ( Colbert loves trading for boom or bust TEs). If it was to me I would be full go especially with the Moreau, I think he could start as our #1 TE. He has 2 years of development in the NFL, was known as a blocking TE coming out of college. Right there upgrade at the Run blocking, and is still a receiving threat.

Now with 14 Million in savings ( Ebron 6 + Nelson go get Adore Jackson, young only 25, played on a Titians team that had no pass rush.

Now you have Hade-Jackson- Sutton-Pierre-Layne

Next up, I would still love to get on Winovich, I might even be tempted to trade James Washington for him. JW would match up with Cam's jumpball accuracy.

Now time to restructure/extend and sign FAs...

I would restructure Tuitt, Haden ( yes, Haden), Decasto ( yes) that should give us enough money to sign: say 15-20 Million

FA
    Center- Easton ( N.O) or Blythe (Rams) I think they can be had fairly cheap, solidifies the center position for another year.
    NT/DT- there are a lot of options there... pick one 3.5 million a year
    OT:
    TE:

Pre-draft:

QB: Ben, Rudolf, Haskins
    RB: Snell, McFarland, Sammuels
    Wr: Claypool, DJ, Juju, Ray-ray
    Te: Moreau, Gentry, Radar
    OT: Banner, Chucks
    OG: Dotson, Decastro, Finney,
    C: Blythe/Easton, Finney

DT:Tuitt, Heyward, Wormly,
    NT: FA, Wormly,
    ILB: Bush, Spillane, UG3,
    OLB: Watt, Highsmith, Winovich,
    CB: Haden, Jackson, Sutton, Pierre, Layne
    S: Fitz, Edmunds

Draft: trade back
    1.29 Williams RB
    2.55 Davis ILB
    3.87 Spence OT
    4a Wade S/CB
    4b Mckitty TE
    6 Farrell TE

( i got burnt nd not enough time out too finishing this)
    I like the way you're thinking. I'd love to see us get Adoree Jackson to replace Nelson, but I'm thinking he will get a boatload of money from another team. Also not sure the Patriots would consider trading Winovich for JW. But I do think that, somehow, it's critical for us to get some good depth behind Watt & Highsmith.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Guys been thinking, more of what some said, I think SKL, that Nelson would be more valuable on draft day.

What if instead of trading for a young player we use Nelson to move up from from 55 to early mid 2nd round. Would ensure us a top RB in the 2nd, and able to get BPA at 24. (OT,C, ILB, DB), or reverse it.

Another thing, with the Haeg signing. What about the new trend position-less football. Where every position has a hybrid. What if we skip drafting or using a TE all together, and just draft OT as our "TE". A 6th OL on the line. We have 4-5 receivers ( Juju, Claypool, Dj, JW, and Ebron) who can create mismatches. Just think of the holes, our RB would have!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Next year we will have a monstrous amount of cap space. It's currently at $113,194,402, and that's before the projected cap increase. Wow. We also only have 22 players under contract for that year. This draft and the 2022 draft which should be loaded with comp picks and 113M+ in cap space is a lot to work with.
    Per Over the Cap, we currently have ~$110M in cap space in 2022 with 23 players under contract. They are assuming that the cap is ~ $200M (add currently liabilities of ~$93M to space of $110M = ~$200M).

Those 23 players include guys that will hit the cap, but not play on the team (e.g. Ben and Juju). It also includes their dead money: ~$10M for Ben and ~$5.6M for Juju. So it's really only 21 players under contract. So we'd need to sign 32 players and the practice squad with that remaining money.

And one of those players will be TJ, who's cap hit will probably be pretty large.

And we may sign a starting QB. If Haskins doesn't **** the bed this season, he probably comes back cheap. But we might want a Fitzmagic type QB to come in and start if necessary.

It would be great if we could draft someone we think can be the next franchise. But I don't think we'll be bad enough to get a top 10 pick. I think bringing Ben back pushed our bad year back 12 months. But we'll see.

We'll have a lot of work to do next season to rebuild more than half the roster. We do have some space to do it...but there are a lot of contracts to be signed. I think it will be pretty interesting to see how the FO handles it (and if Colbert wants to stick around for it).

* Several places have assumed that the cap might stay constant for next year. Let's assume that revenue goes up to be able to support ~$200M cap. Since the owners loaned the players ~$20M / team for this year, that would mean that the cap would stay the same if the owners wanted to be made whole in one year. That would lower the available cap prediction here to the early $90Ms.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 03-22-2021 at 02:37 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    Guys been thinking, more of what some said, I think SKL, that Nelson would be more valuable on draft day.

What if instead of trading for a young player we use Nelson to move up from from 55 to early mid 2nd round. Would ensure us a top RB in the 2nd, and able to get BPA at 24. (OT,C, ILB, DB), or reverse it.

Another thing, with the Haeg signing. What about the new trend position-less football. Where every position has a hybrid. What if we skip drafting or using a TE all together, and just draft OT as our "TE". A 6th OL on the line. We have 4-5 receivers ( Juju, Claypool, Dj, JW, and Ebron) who can create mismatches. Just think of the holes, our RB would have!
    I think this would be great if we could do it.

Either by trading him directly to move up.

Or flipping whatever we get for him to move up.

Although with NCAA not playing as much leading to scouting that's probably less accurate, maybe it's better to have more picks than higher picks?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

back to drawing board adoree signed with giants boohoo bucks~

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If it were me... trade down to the end if the first, while picking up an extra draft pick or two. At #31 or #32, take Creed Humphrey.
    2021 Steelers draft class
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Najee Harris, RB; Alabama
    2. Pat Freirmuth, TE; Penn State
    3. Kendrick Green, C; Illinois
    4a. Dan Moore Jr, OT; Texas A&M
    4b. Buddy Johnson, ILB; Texas A&M
    5. Isaiahh Loudermilk, DE; Wisconsin
    6. Quincy Roche, OLB; Miami
    7a. Tre Norwood, DB; Oklahoma
    7b. Pressley Harvin III, P; Georgia Tech

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    If it were me... trade down to the end if the first, while picking up an extra draft pick or two. At #31 or #32, take Creed Humphrey.
    hey Rara,

might want to change your sig.

Nick Martin signed with Da Raidahs.
    Only a true coward puts someone on ignore on a message board.