Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Huge reason for optimism

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Huge reason for optimism

2021 could be a rough season. However, we should roll into 2022 with a truck load of draft picks and at least 50-60 million dollars in cap space even after re-upping Minkah and Watt. The pain will be temporary. Draft to our strengths (DL/LB/WR/OL) and get our weak spots via FA (CB/S)
    Last edited by steelerkeylargo; 03-19-2021 at 01:42 PM.
    2021 Draft- Would love to drop down 7-10 picks and grab an extra 3rd and then use that 3rd to move up in the 2nd.

1/??) Asante Samuel-CB-FSU
    2/??) Creed Humphrey-C-OU
    3/87) Trey Sermon-RB-OSU
    4/128- Josh Kaindoh-Edge-FSU
    4/140) Stone Forsythe-OT-Florida
    6/216) Tre McKitty-TE-UGA
    7/245) Whop Philyor-WR-Indiana
    7/254) Tariq Thompson-S-SDSU

2022 Re-sign Minkah and Watt. Grab a stud LT and ILB in FA. Trade up for a QB

Backup

User Info Menu

Much of that optimism depends on the upcoming draft. Has to be a great one, not just average to good. The D is being gutted this off season, and the offense needs a starting LT and C, plus a RB and future QB. Many holes to fill.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crushedspirit View Post
    Much of that optimism depends on the upcoming draft. Has to be a great one, not just average to good. The D is being gutted this off season, and the offense needs a starting LT and C, plus a RB and future QB. Many holes to fill.
    The D is not being gutted. Tuitt, Heyward, Watt, Bush, Minkah, Haden are all pro bowl level players. Edmunds and Sutton are solid.
    2021 Draft- Would love to drop down 7-10 picks and grab an extra 3rd and then use that 3rd to move up in the 2nd.

1/??) Asante Samuel-CB-FSU
    2/??) Creed Humphrey-C-OU
    3/87) Trey Sermon-RB-OSU
    4/128- Josh Kaindoh-Edge-FSU
    4/140) Stone Forsythe-OT-Florida
    6/216) Tre McKitty-TE-UGA
    7/245) Whop Philyor-WR-Indiana
    7/254) Tariq Thompson-S-SDSU

2022 Re-sign Minkah and Watt. Grab a stud LT and ILB in FA. Trade up for a QB

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    The D is not being gutted. Tuitt, Heyward, Watt, Bush, Minkah, Haden are all pro bowl level players. Edmunds and Sutton are solid.
    we need possible starters at NT, ILB and CB.

plus depth at OLB, ILB, and S
    Planet Steelers 2021 Mock Draft:

1.24 Najee Harris RB Alabama
    2.55 Walker Little OT Stanford

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    Hilton, Alualu, Dupree, and now Nelson wants out. Haden is on his last legs, Sutton is not Nelson, and who plays slot? Who is the new NT?, and who plays beside Bush? Also, we don't really know Highsmith yet. Like I said, many holes to fill, and this draft has to be a homerun for any optimism to gain momentum. At least for me it feels that way, but I don't speak for others. Everyone has their own thoughts.

Legend

User Info Menu

The defense is far from gutted.

We lost an OLB who had a significant injury last season and rookie did well in his absence

We lost a 34 year old rotational DT...hardly irreplaceable

We lost a slot corner and have an in house replacement who has more versatility

Keep looking at that half empty glass but...no chicken little, the sky isn't falling
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Starter

User Info Menu

Hilton, Alualu, Dupree, and now Nelson wants out. Haden is on his last legs, Sutton is not Nelson, and who plays slot? Who is the new NT?, and who plays beside Bush? Also, we don't really know Highsmith yet. Like I said, many holes to fill, and this draft has to be a homerun for any optimism to gain momentum. At least for me it feels that way, but I don't speak for others. Everyone has their own thoughts.
    We really need a good draft. Give me one like 1992. Searcy, Kirkland and Steed. A stud tackle, a killer MLB an a DT/NT all three of whom were good NFL players. That would nice. Although our core D is still good, we have been gutted in some areas, Slot corner and OLB and age is quickly caching up the Steelers at CB, and DL. On Edmunds I would not call him good and isn't he a free agent?
    Realistic rebuild mock draft 3-29-2021.Plan to spend $110,094,402 in cap space in 2022 and have 4 comp picks + what we have in the 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

1) RB Najee Harris - A 3 down back, makes em; miss, runs then over, Gets outside, blocks like a top FB
    2 ) LT Dillon Radunz
    3 ) CB Paulson Adebo -
    4a ) C Drake Jackson-
    4b ) TE Tommy Temble
    6) G / C Cole Van Lanen -
    7a ) S Darmr Hamln -
    7b ) ILB Erroll Thompson

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The defense is far from gutted.

We lost an OLB who had a significant injury last season and rookie did well in his absence

We lost a 34 year old rotational DT...hardly irreplaceable

We lost a slot corner and have an in house replacement who has more versatility

Keep looking at that half empty glass but...no chicken little, the sky isn't falling
    You are correct. There's nothing to see here, everything is positive.

Legend

User Info Menu

You are correct. There's nothing to see here, everything is positive.

Everything is as it is each off season. Some adds and some losses. No games are played in March so acting like a little girl who just got her first period and crying makes no sense. We have 10 months til the next Super Bowl.

However, if you want to quit and surrender now please do so
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Everything is as it is each off season. Some adds and some losses. No games are played in March so acting like a little girl who just got her first period and crying makes no sense. We have 10 months til the next Super Bowl.

However, if you want to quit and surrender now please do so
    It's a discussion about being optimistic. Are you the Oracle to end all discussions with your supreme intelligence and superior behavior?

We don't all have to share the same thoughts.