Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Nelson wants out

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Nothing Nelson says implies he'd settle for a dummy extension. And frankly, it would make little sense. Heck Juju didn't do it until he saw he was worth less than he thought.
    I think he'd be kind of stupid to not take the dummy extension after the music's already stopped for big money UFA CB signings. Taking the dummy extension would be way better than going into the current UFA market IMO.

Especially since it was the last year of his contract so the dummy extension wouldn't really have been any different than playing out his contract for him (just the cap hit changes).

Someone is probably going to get a good deal on Nelson this year because we dropped him so late and teams that were looking to sign CBs had already done so.

Backup

User Info Menu

They let a proven commodity walk, knowing Haden is on his last legs. Why not keep both, and let Sutton replace Haden after next season if you believe he can step up. Now, if Sutton fails, you are left with needing 2 starting CBs soon. Not to mention they will need a slot corner as well. Time will tell of course, but this could turn into a big FO blunder.
    Last edited by crushedspirit; 04-08-2021 at 09:57 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think he'd be kind of stupid to not take the dummy extension after the music's already stopped for big money UFA CB signings. Taking the dummy extension would be way better than going into the current UFA market IMO.

Especially since it was the last year of his contract so the dummy extension wouldn't really have been any different than playing out his contract for him (just the cap hit changes).

Someone is probably going to get a good deal on Nelson this year because we dropped him so late and teams that were looking to sign CBs had already done so.
    According to Nelson he never had a chance to say yes or no.

This idea some have that the Steelers FO always makes the right decision and always looks out for their own is hilarious.

I truly believe we misplayed this and tried our FO tried to paint a different picture. If we never intended to keep Nelson due to cap hell that’s fine but the timing of it made us look a bit sensitive.

I mean, asking for an extension during your last year shouldn’t piss off a FO or make them throw their hands up and immediately release Nelson.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crushedspirit View Post
    They let a proven commodity walk, knowing Haden is on his last legs. Why not keep both, and let Sutton replace Haden after next season if you believe he can step up. Now, if Sutton fails, you are left with needing 2 starting CBs soon. Not to mention they will need a slot corner as well. Time will tell of course, but this could turn into a big FO blunder.
    But Nelson was toasted for 7 TD’s!!!!

I mean, Haden was burned for 5 TD’s in 2019 but that was different. More like a light searing or a flash boiling.. lol

but 7 whole TD’s??? Surprised we didn’t cut him mod season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I agree.

Nelson proclaimed that he was the best CB on the team.

this leads me to believe that he and his agent were looking for an extension that included a raise, and Nelson certainly wouldn't have gone for dummy years.
    what player doesnít think he is the best at his job? You donít make the proís thinking you are average or kinda good.

Ask any player, especially skill position and they will say the same thing. If a player doesnít think he is the best, I donít want them.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    According to Nelson he never had a chance to say yes or no.

This idea some have that the Steelers FO always makes the right decision and always looks out for their own is hilarious.

I truly believe we misplayed this and tried our FO tried to paint a different picture. If we never intended to keep Nelson due to cap hell that’s fine but the timing of it made us look a bit sensitive.

I mean, asking for an extension during your last year shouldn’t piss off a FO or make them throw their hands up and immediately release Nelson.
    Yep.

But the response to my comment of:

"It is possible that we cut him after Juju signed because we then didn't want to offer him a dummy extension because we don't want to pile up too much dead money" was met with

"He never would have taken a dummy extension."

And I don't think that makes sense because (1) there is no real difference for a player that is in the last year of their contract and (2) it generally sucks for players to be released later in the UFA period because teams have already spend money and there are fewer openings.

I think point (2) is why players and their agents like early roster bonuses. Then if a team cuts a player, it's before the big money starts flying.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post

Someone is probably going to get a good deal on Nelson this year because we dropped him so late and teams that were looking to sign CBs had already done so
    It's possible our plan is to try to pick someone else up on the cheap that we think is equal to or better than Nelson.

I haven't liked this move, but it's not really fair to evaluate a half finished product either.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    But Nelson was toasted for 7 TD’s!!!!

I mean, Haden was burned for 5 TD’s in 2019 but that was different. More like a light searing or a flash boiling.. lol

but 7 whole TD’s??? Surprised we didn’t cut him mod season.
    Yes, Haden gave up 5 TDs but he also had 5 INTs that season. Nelson has never had a 5 INT season.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Haden is a leader on the field, off the field, and in the locker-room. Perhaps that also played in the decision.

However, I am sticking to my guns, poor timing and and another player who took terrible advice from a greedy agent. He'll get signed somewhere, but much like Bell he more than likely would have done better staying with the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    Haden is a leader on the field, off the field, and in the locker-room. Perhaps that also played in the decision.

However, I am sticking to my guns, poor timing and and another player who took terrible advice from a greedy agent. He'll get signed somewhere, but much like Bell he more than likely would have done better staying with the Steelers.
    I agree completely.

Nelson won't make the $8.25 million he was scheduled to make with the Steelers elsewhere this season.
    Planet Steelers 2021 Mock Draft:

1.24 Najee Harris RB Alabama
    2.55 Walker Little OT Stanford