Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 249

Thread: Steven Nelson wants out

  1. #171
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Ehh, we make mistakes just like every other team. I’m pretty sure the Fo didn’t expect JuJu to say no to better offers to come back on a one year deal.

    I don’t think we planned on not having Hilton and Nelson next year but who knows, you may be right.
    My gut says you’re right that it was a reaction because we coulda kept Hilton at a reasonable price.

    But maybe Hilton really didn’t fit into the plans, but I can’t make sense of him not fitting. He’s like the spark plug that makes plays everywhere for this D. I get Hilton isn’t as good on the outside or in coverage like Sutton, but I just don’t see anyone in their right mind letting Hilton go.

  2. #172
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    My gut says you’re right that it was a reaction because we coulda kept Hilton at a reasonable price.

    But maybe Hilton really didn’t fit into the plans, but I can’t make sense of him not fitting. He’s like the spark plug that makes plays everywhere for this D. I get Hilton isn’t as good on the outside or in coverage like Sutton, but I just don’t see anyone in their right mind letting Hilton go.
    I think Hilton looked at our cap and realized we either wouldn’t be able to pay him or maybe he gets a chance to play outside in Cincy where he can get big money if he performs well.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?


  3. #173
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    part of me still thinks there's something we don't know about though...
    This is usually my default reaction. The Steelers are our favorite football team (most of us anyway ) and our knowledge of what goes on behind closed doors is limited to newspaper articles and assorted tweets that come mostly from people who have less insight than we do. In the meantime, this is a 24/7 life for these guys who spend more time in closed quarters than most of us do with our own families. Football decisions aren't exclusively about what we see on TV three hours a week.

    BTW this is not in any way a knock or speculation about the Nelson situation in particular. I also do not think that those who make the decisions are necessarily any smarter than we are. However, what I am sure about is that they make their decisions with a lot more information than we have.

  4. #174
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    BTW I just looked up the stats on pro-football-reference

    In the last two seasons:

    Nelson
    2019 - comp % 50% - QB rating - 65.8
    2020 - comp % 58.2% - QB rating - 97

    Haden
    2019 - comp% 53.7% - QB rating - 66.5
    2020 - comp% 50.6% - QB rating - 75.9

    Obviously these numbers don't tell the whole story but it looks like Haden is continuing to hold his own. In a one year scenario, it is not so cut and dry that Nelson was the better option, and that Haden is washed up.

  5. #175
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    BTW I just looked up the stats on pro-football-reference

    In the last two seasons:

    Nelson
    2019 - comp % 50% - QB rating - 65.8
    2020 - comp % 58.2% - QB rating - 97

    Haden
    2019 - comp% 53.7% - QB rating - 66.5
    2020 - comp% 50.6% - QB rating - 75.9

    Obviously these numbers don't tell the whole story but it looks like Haden is continuing to hold his own. In a one year scenario, it is not so cut and dry that Nelson was the better option, and that Haden is washed up.
    I don’t think anyone is suggesting Haden is washed but is he in our plans 2 to 3 years from now???

    The other point is Nelson was never viewed as “better” than Haden and he didn’t need to be better than Haden. My concern is whether we will be better the next few years without Nelson and Hilton.

    I would prefer keeping as much in place as possible regarding our secondary because that is the one area we struggle to draft and develop.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?


  6. #176
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I don’t think anyone is suggesting Haden is washed but is he in our plans 2 to 3 years from now???

    The other point is Nelson was never viewed as “better” than Haden and he didn’t need to be better than Haden. My concern is whether we will be better the next few years without Nelson and Hilton.

    I would prefer keeping as much in place as possible regarding our secondary because that is the one area we struggle to draft and develop.
    You're right. Nelson didn't need to be better than Haden but if he was replacing him he needed to be equivalent. Covering the other team's #1 week in, week out is no small challenge. If the Steelers really thought they needed to keep Nelson I think they would have found a way to get it done. We'll all be watching for when he finally signs, and for how much.

  7. #177
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    The other point is Nelson was never viewed as “better” than Haden and he didn’t need to be better than Haden.
    Nelson thought he was the best CB on the team:

    "Believe me, that's not what I was told so get your facts straight I've never ran from any comp and no knock on Cam but I'm the best, was best corner on that team. This is simply called a cap casualty situation."

    https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news...burgh-steelers
    Planet Steelers 2021 Mock Draft:

    1.24 Najee Harris RB Alabama
    2.55 Walker Little OT Stanford

  8. #178
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Nelson thought he was the best CB on the team:

    "Believe me, that's not what I was told so get your facts straight I've never ran from any comp and no knock on Cam but I'm the best, was best corner on that team. This is simply called a cap casualty situation."

    https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news...burgh-steelers
    The comment doesn't even appear to consider Haden: "No knock on Cam [Sutton]..."

    That's kind of interesting.

  9. #179
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    The comment doesn't even appear to consider Haden: "No knock on Cam [Sutton]..."

    That's kind of interesting.
    Easier to knock the guy that doesn't have the rep.
    Again, the Steelers usually are very good at keeping guys they think are core players. If they thought Nelson was that guy he would have been kept.
    Somehow I think Nelson's side asked for a new deal or he threatened walking but the Steelers called his bluff.

  10. #180
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    I still feel Nelson received piss poor advice from a greedy agent. The Steelers have a way of keeping the players they want and "usually" take care of their own. Bad timing on Nelson to say the least.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •