Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Nelson wants out

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Wow. If true, it seems the Steelers just really wanted to dump him. Why?

And if there was no good reason, you have to wonder, "What if ...?" What if they'd asked, and he'd agreed to come back for significantly less $$?
    Steelers must be very sold on Sutton replacing Nelson and when Nelson goes to the slot James Pierre or Justin Layne being able to handle the outside CB slot. if they're right, it was a good way to save nearly $8 million.

part of me still thinks there's something we don't know about though...
    Planet Steelers 2021 Mock Draft:

1.24 Najee Harris RB Alabama
    2.55 Walker Little OT Stanford

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Steelers must be very sold on Sutton replacing Nelson and when Nelson goes to the slot James Pierre or Justin Layne being able to handle the outside CB slot. if they're right, it was a good way to save nearly $8 million.

Maybe the 7 TDs allowed by Nelson last season really was on him??

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post

True. It's like the new kid said on another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Mifflin View Post
    Thanks. I understand there are some..... who desperately want to show they are smarter than guys who get paid by NFL teams.
    The team knows stuff we don't. I personally recalled what he did in 2019 and was surprised. But only after he was cut did I find out how far he had fallen in 2020.

I certainly did not know rhis:

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Here we are doubting the professionals who pour over hours and hours of tape. Obviously their appraisal of his game is based on much more knowledge than we fans have. Dude gave up 1/3 of our teams passing touchdowns?

With OUR pass rush he gave up SEVEN?

Dizz mocked those who's minds are changed by a team decision.

If something seems to be a total head scratcher, I tend to try to figure out WHY they made what appears to be a stupid decision assuming they know something I don't. Usually, upon close inspection their call has basis on something that we fans are unaware of.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 04-06-2021 at 10:19 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    True. It's like the new kid said on another thread:

The team knows stuff we don't. I personally recalled what he did in 2019 and was surprised. But only after he was cut did I find out how far he had fallen in 2020.

I certainly did not know rhis:

Here we are doubting the professionals who pour over hours and hours of tape. Obviously their appraisal of his game is based on much more knowledge than we fans have. Dude gave up 1/3 of our teams passing touchdowns?

With OUR pass rush he gave up SEVEN?

Dizz mocked those who's minds are changed by a team decision.

If something seems to be a total head scratcher, I tend to try to figure out WHY they made what appears to be a stupid decision assuming they know something I don't. Usually, upon close inspection their call has basis on something that we fans are unaware of.
    I think it comes down to your feeling about timelines.

Why Nelson (who has a future) and not Haden (who doesn't)? The difference in cap savings was about 1m IIRC.

We all remember what the secondary was like before Nelson (and Haden). And we don't want a return of all those explosive plays for opposing Os.

I'm usually one to trust the team. But I think this year loyalty to Ben has them looking too hard at this year over the future.

Just like when you (rightfully IMO) were leading the charge on how loyalty to Bell had them offering him a contract that was much too large. Thankfully Bell saved the team from themselves on that one.

Legend

User Info Menu

Nelson = Replaceable Carbon Unit

Given the TDs he gave up last year not worried
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Nelson = Replaceable Carbon Unit

Given the TDs he gave up last year not worried
    He wasn't a star last season

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    If he was as good as many believe, he’d be signed by now playing at such a premium position.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    If he was as good as many believe, he’d be signed by now playing at such a premium position.
    That is a good point and telling that he is still available.

He is either asking for too much and pricing himself out of the market or the guys who watch film and see what fans don't aren't that impressed

Remember, the Chiefs didn't try to resign him
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Part of this could be the timing of when we released him and the lack of cap space many teams had.

I think this is usually why vets prefer to be cut early.

We kind of put Vince in a position like that this year too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The TDís are a bit overblown. Defenses were awful to start the year due to covid and a lack of preseason and reps.

5 of Nelsonís TDís were

Over the last 9 games (including the playoff loss) Nelson gave up 2 TDís and one was against Diggs who is pretty good.

We messed this one up. Steelers didnít have the cap space and picked Haden over Nelson. This could be another miss by the FO for picking the guy they like over the guy with better value.

Haden had the better year and only gave up 3 TDís but he also missed 3 games.

Hopefully Sutton is up to the challenge but this whole ďNelson was good one year and sucked the nextĒ is laughable.

If you didnít know Nelson slipped a bit in 2020 until you looked at stats it could mean a few things:

A)His play dipped but not enough to really stand out.
    B) You hate Edmunds so much you blamed him for every passing TD.
    C) You didnít watch the games and use PFF as the bible.
    D) All of the above
    Last edited by feltdizz; 04-07-2021 at 09:10 AM.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?