Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Blow it up!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JIMBO View Post
    My take on the current situation:
    WR: Johnson = drops Ebron = drops Claypool = Ju Ju clone Washington = deep threat, but Ben??
    OT: AV = turnstile Chuks = backup on a good team Banner + ditto
    G: DeCastro = done Dotson = a keeper C; ??
    QB: Ben and ??
    RB; # 1 or Conner = wait and see
    DL: Cam = ok Tuitt = average without Bud beside him Nothing else to consider
    OLB: JJ = our only star Hightower = improving
    ILB: Bush = a recovery year Spillane = tough, but?
    CB: Nelson = make or break year Haden = almost done
    S: Edmunds = a waste Minka = afraid to hit anyone
    K: Boswell: good P: Berry = ok
    This team reminds me of the Pirates- a MLB franchise with AAA talent. Putting on my GM hat I would trade out of #1 for an acceptable offer unless RB Harris falls to us or one of the top 4 offensive tackles slips that far. I don't have the value chart in front of me, but with our # 2 and the choices we should get 3 quality players out of the top 100 ( and we should play them all as much as possible this year )
    Given our upcoming schedule I see no better than 8-8 and hopefully it will be worse so we can draft in the top 15 in 2022. I would say goodbye to Ben, Tuitt and DD after this year and start the rebuild that should have been done this year instead of Ben's victory tour.
    Thoughts
    I think bringing Ben back probably gives us better than 8 wins even though the rest of the team is depleted. I think we still have a strong enough nucleus that we won't be terrible (although the O sure looked very bad at the end of the year so you never know).

So, I don't think we'll get a super high pick next season.

Ben will be gone next season as his contract voids just after the SB (automatically I think).

I won't be surprised if DD is also gone after this year. I think it depends on whether the play this year was due to injury or decline. But old guys probably recover from injuries slower than young guys.

Haden will be gone after this season too.

So, I think you're right that the rebuild will begin next season. And I agree with your implication that it would have probably been better to start it this season. I think it will be next season that looks ugly. Unless Haskins really turns it around (we'll have him for cheap if we want him because he's a RFA) or we luck out with a rookie QB.

But the decision has been made. And the team tends to make good decisions. So even though I disagree with this one, I hope the team has me eating humble pie come next January.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JIMBO View Post
    My take on the current situation:
    WR: Johnson = drops Ebron = drops Claypool = Ju Ju clone Washington = deep threat, but Ben??
    OT: AV = turnstile Chuks = backup on a good team Banner + ditto
    G: DeCastro = done Dotson = a keeper C; ??
    QB: Ben and ??
    RB; # 1 or Conner = wait and see
    DL: Cam = ok Tuitt = average without Bud beside him Nothing else to consider
    OLB: JJ = our only star Hightower = improving
    ILB: Bush = a recovery year Spillane = tough, but?
    CB: Nelson = make or break year Haden = almost done
    S: Edmunds = a waste Minka = afraid to hit anyone
    K: Boswell: good P: Berry = ok
    This team reminds me of the Pirates- a MLB franchise with AAA talent. Putting on my GM hat I would trade out of #1 for an acceptable offer unless RB Harris falls to us or one of the top 4 offensive tackles slips that far. I don't have the value chart in front of me, but with our # 2 and the choices we should get 3 quality players out of the top 100 ( and we should play them all as much as possible this year )
    Given our upcoming schedule I see no better than 8-8 and hopefully it will be worse so we can draft in the top 15 in 2022. I would say goodbye to Ben, Tuitt and DD after this year and start the rebuild that should have been done this year instead of Ben's victory tour.
    Thoughts
    Just curious. Exactly 1 year ago today, what was your prediction for our 2020 team? Record wise. 12-4? 13-3? I'd be willing to bet ya, it was 8-8.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is the doomiest, gloomiest post in a while.

LMAO at SM jumping on the OP’s bones like the desperate kid at lunch after dude gave his little speech while standing on the lunch table.

Most of those player assessments are awful.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Thanks but no thanks. Beyond ridiculous and demonstrates clear lack of understanding how this franchise operates and their vision
    Our vision, if we are thinking long term is to start the rebuild ASAP. We are probably not winning a playoff game this year. Prepare for life without Ben. Don't prepare for 7-9 to 9-7. Don't count 10-6 without a playoff win ( last playoff win was 2016! ) ending in Ben's retirement a success either. Yes-- my standards are high. I'm Steeler fan.

No official predictions here until free agency and the draft ends.
    Realistic rebuild mock draft 3-29-2021.Plan to spend $110,094,402 in cap space in 2022 and have 4 comp picks + what we have in the 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

1) RB Najee Harris - A 3 down back, makes em; miss, runs then over, Gets outside, blocks like a top FB
    2 ) LT Dillon Radunz
    3 ) CB Paulson Adebo -
    4a ) C Drake Jackson-
    4b ) TE Tommy Temble
    6) G / C Cole Van Lanen -
    7a ) S Darmr Hamln -
    7b ) ILB Erroll Thompson

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Our vision, if we are thinking long term is to start the rebuild ASAP. We are probably not winning a playoff game this year. Prepare for life without Ben. Don't prepare for 7-9 to 9-7. Don't count 10-6 without a playoff win ( last playoff win was 2016! ) ending in Ben's retirement a success either. Yes-- my standards are high. I'm Steeler fan.

No official predictions here until free agency and the draft ends.
    Always cracks me up when people say they have high standards. The Steelers do not care. They will not make crazy moves in FA and try to win the FA March media hype.

While I was all for letting Ben go and starting the rebuild now, blowing it all up like these loser teams that never make it out of the muck after tanking or have 1 half decent year before sinking back into loser land.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

The Steelers pre Chuck Noll used to be that team that went wild in the off season. They traded their #1 pick regularly for gambles. The Steelers are never going to sell the farm again in FA. Been there done that and they stunk. That's why The Chief hired The emperor and went on a new path, one they have been on for 50 years. While the Rooney's own this team that's how it's going to be. If you don't like it root for the Browns.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Always cracks me up when people say they have high standards. The Steelers do not care. They will not make crazy moves in FA and try to win the FA March media hype.

While I was all for letting Ben go and starting the rebuild now, blowing it all up like these loser teams that never make it out of the muck after tanking or have 1 half decent year before sinking back into loser land.
    Rebuilding and blowing it up are not the same thing. I want to keep key players like Watt, and Fitz on defense. Blowing it up would mean a fire sale and trading away assets. I'm not for that.

We are being picked apart in fee agency, and have age issues that will force us to draft in spots besides our current needs. The OL needs to be re-built. We need a staring RB. Ben needs to be replaced. This team still has too much talent to be " a loser team " however we are clearly not super bowl contenders either, which is why I want the re-build now. Not after the season is over.

By that time were are a year behind. Let's see how free agency ends up, predictably with losing Ju-Ju and Villanueva, along with the losses of Dupree, Feiler, Hilton and Alualu, hope for a fantastic draft. This team is weaker now, not stronger. Our depth is also paper thin. Ben should have been gone. I agree with you on that point.
    Realistic rebuild mock draft 3-29-2021.Plan to spend $110,094,402 in cap space in 2022 and have 4 comp picks + what we have in the 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

1) RB Najee Harris - A 3 down back, makes em; miss, runs then over, Gets outside, blocks like a top FB
    2 ) LT Dillon Radunz
    3 ) CB Paulson Adebo -
    4a ) C Drake Jackson-
    4b ) TE Tommy Temble
    6) G / C Cole Van Lanen -
    7a ) S Darmr Hamln -
    7b ) ILB Erroll Thompson

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Rebuilding and blowing it up are not the same thing. I want to keep key players like Watt, and Fitz on defense. Blowing it up would mean a fire sale and trading away assets. I'm not for that.

We are being picked apart in fee agency, and have age issues that will force us to draft in spots besides our current needs. The OL needs to be re-built. We need a staring RB. Ben needs to be replaced. This team still has too much talent to be " a loser team " however we are clearly not super bowl contenders either, which is why I want the re-build now. Not after the season is over.

By that time were are a year behind. Let's see how free agency ends up, predictably with losing Ju-Ju and Villanueva, along with the losses of Dupree, Feiler, Hilton and Alualu, hope for a fantastic draft. This team is weaker now, not stronger. Our depth is also paper thin. Ben should have been gone. I agree with you on that point.
    agreed, I just find the high standards funny. I hear it a lot.

I have high standards but they are also realistic. Seems loke your standards aren’t that high tho if you don’t expect a SB this year or next. I think that’s the reality of Steeler fans who aren’t miserable. SB’s are nice but the reality is they are hard to make and harder to win. More times than not we aren’t going to win one but we will always try to make the playoffs which gives us a chance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

On the mark!!!! Like I said, some people claim to be fans but I can never figure if they are fans of a Fantasy Football team or the Steelers. They panic every off season and get ticked when the Steelers don't do things the way they would. The Steelers way hasn't changed in 25 years because it works
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    On the mark!!!! Like I said, some people claim to be fans but I can never figure if they are fans of a Fantasy Football team or the Steelers
    or the Patriots*
    Planet Steelers 2021 Mock Draft:

1.24 Najee Harris RB Alabama
    2.55 Walker Little OT Stanford