Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Mason Rudolph is quietly gaining leverage against the Steelers

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    This.

Not sure how many guys get benched for UDFA scrubs and then go on to be franchise QBs. But I'd guess that the number is pretty close to 0.
    Haskins was benched for Taylor Heinicke and the offense improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    Too early to tell one way or another on Haskins. I hope he pans out but we didn't risk much.
    Time is the risk. Investing time while not looking for our future franchise QB as seriously as we might otherwise look. That's my only concern.

Personally, I'd rather invest my time in someone who has proven to be hungry. Not someone who's proven to be lazy.
    Last edited by Eich; 04-07-2021 at 10:03 PM.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Exactly. There's a similar atmosphere with the Jets. That's why I think Darnold too will be okay in Carolina. I haven't written Haskins off either. Let's hope.
    I won't be the least surprised if Donald has much more success playing under Joe Brady.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Time is the risk. Investing time while not looking for our future franchise QB as seriously as we might otherwise look. That's my only concern.
    John Clayton thinks Ben will play for another 2 years.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/04/cl...for-two-years/
    Planet Steelers 2021 Mock Draft:

1.24 Najee Harris RB Alabama
    2.55 Walker Little OT Stanford

Legend

User Info Menu

Personally, I'd rather invest my time in someone who has proven to be hungry. Not someone who's proven to be lazy.
    I don't think Haskins will pan out either.

I was initially pretty excited because of the pedigree.

Then I looked into him a bit more.

I think he should be the starter next year because he should be cheap. And we probably end up with a bad enough record to try to draft the next franchise guy.

I was also hoping we'd let Ben go and start MR this season for the same reason.

I agree that time is a big part of the risk. And I want to get the next guy while Watt and Minkah (and Bush) are still in their primes.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crushedspirit View Post
    I won't be the least surprised if Donald has much more success playing under Joe Brady.
    I said the same thing. Brady could make Darnold successful

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

100% correct. A guy has to be stupid and lazy to throw away a chance at generational money

I have very low expectations for Haskins. Not sure you could rely on him as a backup who would be disinterested if he wasn't the guy

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    John Clayton thinks Ben will play for another 2 years.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/04/cl...for-two-years/
    Count me as one sad Steeler fan if this happens. I'm expecting a 5 yr stretch where QB will be a major topic of discussion......the years start adding up

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Count me as one sad Steeler fan if this happens. I'm expecting a 5 yr stretch where QB will be a major topic of discussion......the years start adding up
    I think it’s gonna be a lot longer than 5 years. We’ll get our hopes up a bunch of times and will believe in guys that never end up panning out.

Or there’s just more quality QBs these days and we’ll be fine as soon as Ben is gone.

It’s either an extended 80s revisit or a quick fix turn around. Nothing in the middle ever happens in Pittsburgh. See Pirates as the example of what we’re used to.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Or there’s just more quality QBs these days and we’ll be fine as soon as Ben is gone.
    This is my opinion. The Steelers might not get a HOF QB any time soon but there are plenty of QBs coming into the league that are more pro-ready than ever before. Add to this the fact that the QB paradigms have been broken since Roethlisberger was drafted; need a 6'4" guy??.. nah, R Wilson, D Brees, B Mayfield all show you can play the game at 6'; need a pocket passer?.... that era is at least 8 yrs past us; need a big arm??... Brady and Brees say that ain't true.

The key is getting the right QB into the right situation.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    This is my opinion. The Steelers might not get a HOF QB any time soon but there are plenty of QBs coming into the league that are more pro-ready than ever before. Add to this the fact that the QB paradigms have been broken since Roethlisberger was drafted; need a 6'4" guy??.. nah, R Wilson, D Brees, B Mayfield all show you can play the game at 6'; need a pocket passer?.... that era is at least 8 yrs past us; need a big arm??... Brady and Brees say that ain't true.

The key is getting the right QB into the right situation.
    The rules on D also make it easier for QBs now. Unless you’re Baltimore or NE, your DBs can’t touch WRs downfield.