Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 101

Thread: Mason Rudolph is quietly gaining leverage against the Steelers

  1. #61
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    most teams won’t win games if the D is average and the offense is decimated by injury
    Especially if the QB is bad.

    I'm not saying that there is no chance he will ever be good.

    I'm saying that he hasn't proven that he's good. And making an expensive bet to see if a guy that plays the most difficult position to figure out in sports in his 5th year probably isn't a great way to run a team.

    If he comes back cheap. Great.

    He doesn't deserve to be paid like a top 15 QB in the league.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 03-12-2021 at 02:03 PM.

  2. #62
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Especially if the QB is bad.

    I'm not saying that there is no chance he will ever be good.

    I'm saying that he hasn't proven that he's good. And making an expensive bet to see if a guy that plays the most difficult position to figure out in sports in his 5th year probably isn't a great way to run a team.

    If he comes back cheap. Great.

    He doesn't deserve to be paid like a top 15 QB in the league.
    I agree, I like your idea of a 2 year deal with the option to release after the first year.

    I don’t think Mason is bad tho..
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  3. #63
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    That lollipop gives Claypool a chance to make a play on the ball.

    I could see if most of them were INT’s but that isn’t the case.
    I believe he had a very high INT rate in 2019. Again, I'm not ready to say he's solved all his problems based on one decent game in 2020.

  4. #64
    Backup

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I believe he had a very high INT rate in 2019. Again, I'm not ready to say he's solved all his problems based on one decent game in 2020.
    Yup, 5th highest rate in the league at 3.2, while being 30th in attempts with 283.

  5. #65
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I believe he had a very high INT rate in 2019. Again, I'm not ready to say he's solved all his problems based on one decent game in 2020.
    I’m encouraged when players play better a year later than they played the year before.

    again, our talent level on offense in 2019 was spotty due to a wave of injuries.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  6. #66
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    I think it would be very doable to give Mason a multi-year contract at between $8-10M.

    Guys right now with much more experience who are getting paid less than $10M are AJ McCarron ($4M), Ryan Fitzpatrick ($5.5M), Nick Foles ($9M). MR isn't going to be able to go out and demand a $15M contract unless Ben goes down early in 2021 and he plays like Mahommes

    I think the Steelers like him and will keep him. Especially given that Canada will have two years of working with when Ben leaves.

    Here is list of salaries and you can see that guys with much more experience and success than Mason aren't making a fortune.

    https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

  7. #67
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think it would be very doable to give Mason a multi-year contract at between $8-10M.

    Guys right now with much more experience who are getting paid less than $10M are AJ McCarron ($4M), Ryan Fitzpatrick ($5.5M), Nick Foles ($9M). MR isn't going to be able to go out and demand a $15M contract unless Ben goes down early in 2021 and he plays like Mahommes

    I think the Steelers like him and will keep him. Especially given that Canada will have two years of working with when Ben leaves.

    Here is list of salaries and you can see that guys with much more experience and success than Mason aren't making a fortune.

    https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/
    This seems far more reasonable than something like a transition tag.

    I'd want it to be structured in a way that it doesn't hurt too much if we drop him after a year (or two).

    The best case for us is that Haskins looks better than Mason in practice this year so that we've got a bunch of leverage and don't mind if he walks when we offer him a cheapish deal (where he'd have a chance to compete for a starting job).

  8. #68
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    if only Mason faced Pitt's defense every game:

    Planet Steelers 2021 Mock Draft:

    1.24 Najee Harris RB Alabama
    2.55 Walker Little OT Stanford

  9. #69
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Iím encouraged when players play better a year later than they played the year before.

    again, our talent level on offense in 2019 was spotty due to a wave of injuries.
    One game proves nothing. We can't call it improvement. Heck his QB rating in the Browns game was barely different than his 2019 season.

    Mason had multiple better games in 2019 than the Browns game.

    His second start he had 2 TDs zero picks, threw 85 percent and a 124 QB rating.

    He had a pick and an 89 QB rating in the Browns 2020 game. Yes he had 2 TDs. It was nothing to write home about. Looked like one of his better 2019 games. Big whoop.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 04-06-2021 at 10:53 PM.

  10. #70
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    if only Mason faced Pitt's defense every game:

    A few nice passes, but what really stands out to me from that video is how bad Pitt's D was
    2021 Mock Draft #2:
    1) Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech
    2) Javonte Williams, RB, North Carolina
    3) Quinn Meinerz, C, University Wisconsin Whitewater
    4a) Pete Werner, LB, Ohio State
    4b) Tariq Thompson, S, San Diego State
    6) Tay Gowan, CB, Central Florida
    7a) Kylen Granson, TE, SMU
    7b) Patrick Johnson, OLB, Tulane

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •