Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 144

Thread: Heart and Steel - book by Bill Cowher

  1. #21
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    What did the Steelers offer? I'll tell you. " The Steelers' offer of $3.15 million a season did not come close to matching the Jets' offer, which averages $5 million per season and includes a $7 million signing bonus." So the money offered was not close.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-ddb27757b55a/

    Cheap man Rooney.

    The cap back then was 40 million. Everybody knew the cap was going up. The Steelers could have matched that amount, if they wanted to . They let an ascending super bowl QB GO. Hastings ran the wrong way, otherwise this game could have been ours. THis wasn't;t an easy draw, we were playing a dynasty level Dallas in their prime coached by Jimmy Johnson.

    Don't blame O'Donnell for the AFC Championship loss either. He set a then record for passing in that game with average receivers aside from Thigpin. A guy made a lucky play at the end of the game.
    There was a $1.25 mill per year difference.

    But also remember O’Donnell was paid more than Aikmen and Elway with that deal.

    Its real easy to see the best scenarios but who knows if O’Donnell could’ve survived the criticism after the SB loss. He may have wilted under the pressure of fans i. the Burgh. He was a wanted man in the city after that last INT.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?


  2. #22
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Exactly. Cowher didn't have a franchise QB until his final three years. So Cowher did a wonderful job with what he had. Made some great teams other than at the QB position. It was the GM's job to get him a QB; so I don't know why everyone is blaming him. Cowher's title was "head coach". Not GM. The GM's job is to access the team and plug holes and the GM finally plugged the QB hole at that position for Cowher's final 3 years.

    Moronic to blame Cowher for what the GM hadn't done to that point. It's a way to try to down play Cowher because of those great teams he coached. Talk of how Cowher didn't want Ben is irrelevant to the point....it's the GM's job to plug holes. After we wiffed on Marino and a couple of other QB's, he found one. End of story.
    Cowher didn’t put value on a franchise QB.

    If he did we probably wouldn’t have the defenses we loved back then.

    This is also a man who saw Jim Miller as a starter and went with Tommy Gun for a few years.

    I don’t even put all the blame on Cowher. We had a formula and franchise QB wasn’t at the top of the list.

    and no, you can’t ignore Cowher wanting to take a Tackle when Ben was available. That is evidence this isn’t all on Colbert. Weird to have a built in excuse and praise Cowher for failing all those years.

    You are the one who said AFCCG’s are failures.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 06-03-2021 at 12:17 PM.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?


  3. #23
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Exactly. Cowher didn't have a franchise QB until his final three years. So Cowher did a wonderful job with what he had. Made some great teams other than at the QB position. It was the GM's job to get him a QB; so I don't know why everyone is blaming him. Cowher's title was "head coach". Not GM. The GM's job is to access the team and plug holes and the GM finally plugged the QB hole at that position for Cowher's final 3 years.

    Moronic to blame Cowher for what the GM hadn't done to that point. It's a way to try to down play Cowher because of those great teams he coached. Talk of how Cowher didn't want Ben is irrelevant to the point....it's the GM's job to plug holes. After we wiffed on Marino and a couple of other QB's, he found one. End of story.
    Agreed. So we all agree there is no such thing as "Cowhers Players" which is a ridiculous narrative to "play down Tomlin because of the great teams he coached".

    You wanna credit/blame the GM for the teams coached by Cowher...you need to be consistent and get rid of your signature.

  4. #24
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    There was a $1.25 mill per year difference.

    But also remember O’Donnell was paid more than Aikmen and Elway with that deal.

    Its real easy to see the best scenarios but who knows if O’Donnell could’ve survived the criticism after the SB loss. He may have wilted under the pressure of fans i. the Burgh. He was a wanted man in the city after that last INT.
    A Renegade!


  5. #25
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Agreed. So we all agree there is no such thing as "Cowhers Players" which is a ridiculous narrative to "play down Tomlin because of the great teams he coached".

    You wanna credit/blame the GM for the teams coached by Cowher...you need to be consistent and get rid of your signature.
    Sorry Lemming.

    Logical consistency isn't allowed in these types of discussions.

  6. #26
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    It was the GM's job to get him a QB; so I don't know why everyone is blaming him. Cowher's title was "head coach". Not GM. The GM's job is to access the team and plug holes and the GM finally plugged the QB hole at that position for Cowher's final 3 years.

    Moronic to blame Cowher for what the GM hadn't done to that point. It's a way to try to down play Cowher because of those great teams he coached. Talk of how Cowher didn't want Ben is irrelevant to the point....it's the GM's job to plug holes. After we wiffed on Marino and a couple of other QB's, he found one. End of story.
    You admit they were "Colbert's players" yet in your sig you claim they were "Cowher's players".

    You are a walking contradiction, it's impossible to ever take you seriously. End of story.
    Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 06-03-2021 at 02:30 PM.
    Only a true coward puts someone on ignore on a message board.

  7. #27
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Agreed. So we all agree there is no such thing as "Cowhers Players" which is a ridiculous narrative to "play down Tomlin because of the great teams he coached".

    You wanna credit/blame the GM for the teams coached by Cowher...you need to be consistent and get rid of your signature.
    lmao.. no, that isn’t how this works. You can blame Tomlin for everything and credit Cowher for everything.. that’s how agendas work on here.

    None of this matters because Rooney doesn’t care about winning. He just wants to make money.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?


  8. #28
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    lmao.. no, that isn’t how this works. You can blame Tomlin for everything and credit Cowher for everything.. that’s how agendas work on here.

    None of this matters because Rooney doesn’t care about winning. He just wants to make money.
    It would be interesting to see how individual teams profit margins change after winning more in the playoffs.

    I know that there is a revenue sharing agreement in the league. But I wonder how evenly things are split. And if that revenue sharing agreement really does provide a disincentive to winning for teams.

    I know that this is often used as an argument against cheap teams like the Bengals. And I do think it kind of makes sense in that vein. Just showing up as an NFL team presumably provides some floor for profit. And spending the minimum you can on your team presumably means that you can make profits.

    But for teams that spend to the cap like we do, I wonder owners end up with more $$$ in their pockets if their teams win. My guess is that they do, but I don't know.

  9. #29
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    heart and choke may have been a better title

    By the time he stepped down, I was dying to see a HC change (after loving him for his first several seasons). But as time has passed, I don't feel as harshly about the Chin. He brought us some good seasons and teams. Yes, he fumbled the QB position with Kordell and lost too many post season games, at home. But he still put some solid teams together.

  10. #30
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Agreed. So we all agree there is no such thing as "Cowhers Players" which is a ridiculous narrative to "play down Tomlin because of the great teams he coached".

    You wanna credit/blame the GM for the teams coached by Cowher...you need to be consistent and get rid of your signature.
    Cap...

    GM's acquire talent; Once the talent is on the team, it's up to the head coach to mold and shape. You know that. Stop trying to deflect from the last 10 plus years of Tomlin's failure at coaching a team that was picked many a year to be in the Super Bowl. Colbert gave him great teams over the last decade; Tomlin couldn't coach them up to get to one Super Bowl. He wasted 10 + years of a franchise QB's career.

    No way to get around it. Sorry.

    Tomlin inharited a Super Bowl nucleus (already molded and shaped by Cowher) . Stop trying to twist it around, re-spin it, reshape it and revisionist history as well. When Tomlin took Cowher's players (that Cowher molded and shaped) to a Super Bowl, it was the same as Dungy or Gruden did. But when those players left and it was up to Tomlin to mold and shape men into team, he was given the talent but he wasn't good enough to do it.

    No narrative change for me. Just you trying to re-spin and reformulate stuff to fit your scenerio. Give it up my friend. Tomlin can't win Super Bowls (and now can't win playoff games) without Cowher's players and coaches.

    Ten plus years of evidence doesn't lie.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

    Dolphin fans in the 90’s held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2021 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •