Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Heart and Steel - book by Bill Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    This is such a ridiculous discussion already. The truth of the matter is:

Cowher was a good coach. Cowher had many flaws as a coach. You can give a reasonable argument on both sides and not be wrong.
    Tomlin is a good coach. Tomlin has many flaws as a coach. You can give a reasonable argument on both sides and not be wrong.

The people who are wrong are those who argue the extremes. Cowher/Tomlin is/was an awful coach and there are a dozen trophies waiting for the moment the loser is dumped....or, Cowher/Tomlin walks on water and is a great coach and blameless at all times.

It is up there with the argument that one person deserves the blame for a particular loss, or all the credit for success. Like the Brady vs. Bellichick debate, the answer is never 100% black and white.
    I agree with this.

Emphasis on "reasonable" though.

Logically consistent when trying to apply to both of these coaches would also be nice.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    you talk about Tomlin’s politics and imply he is still around because of the Rooney Rule yet you try to take offense to my post joking you?

you need to lighten up Francis.
    I don't know Felt.

I think it's more than just "joking around" when people call other people racist (or strongly imply it).

I mixed up Cortez Allen and Senquez Golson yesterday. Does that say the same thing about me?

FWIW I also think that "Rooney rule" arguments about Tomlin are also idiotic because (i) they'd already satisfied the Rooney rule when they'd interviewed him, (ii) he came highly recommended from a member of the Steel Curtain that's also a member a Noll's coaching tree, and (iii) in retrospect, he was obviously the best of the three choices we were looking at (and one of those 3 opted out by taking a different job).

I think that some people really liked Grimm (great name!) and never got over their guy getting passed up. Even though he didn't go on to anything bigger than position coach and was out of the NFL soon after. I wonder how much overlap there is between those guys and those who also really loved Munchak. The Force must be strong with OL position coaches with nice resumes as players.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 06-10-2021 at 12:09 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Why you posting a picture of Charles Barkley?
    Bwaaaahaaaa.

That is awesome

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I don't know Felt.

I think it's more than just "joking around" when people call other people racist (or strongly imply it).

I mixed up Cortez Allen and Senquez Golson yesterday. Does that say the same thing about me?

FWIW I also think that "Rooney rule" arguments about Tomlin are also idiotic because (i) they'd already satisfied the Rooney rule when they'd interviewed him, (ii) he came highly recommended from a member of the Steel Curtain that's also a member a Noll's coaching tree, and (iii) in retrospect, he was obviously the best of the three choices we were looking at (and one of those 3 opted out by taking a different job).

I think that some people really liked Grimm (great name!) and never got over their guy getting passed up. Even though he didn't go on to anything bigger than position coach and was out of the NFL soon after. I wonder how much overlap there is between those guys and those who also really loved Munchak. The Force must be strong with OL position coaches with nice resumes as players.

When a poster brings up the color of Tomlin’s skin as the reason he won’t get fired its open season to joke them about their views on race.

and your post gives off a bit of the “calling someone racist is real racism” that some people hide behind when they don’t want to get called out for their bigotry.

Please know I’m not implying you are racist. But anytime someone tries to use Tomlin’s race as a reason he hasn’t been fired they are showing their hand.

Those people make excuses for his success and put all the blame on him for the losses.

Those people need to be called out, not protected on here. Just make it about his resume... oh wait, most can’t make it about his resume because his resume is impressive.

but I will add, if you think it could be directed at you then I’m not sure what to tell you.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 06-10-2021 at 12:46 PM.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Why you posting a picture of Charles Barkley?
    lmao.. well played.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Feltizz still playing the race card lol...The most racist Dude on here ( hates anything white ) still trying to play that " poor ass whoa is me card " ...I see nothing has changed on here lol

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I agree with this.

Emphasis on "reasonable" though.

Logically consistent when trying to apply to both of these coaches would also be nice.
    Of course. Once reason leaves I usually do as well. Whether the discussion is sports, politics, or any other topic. The truth is that both sides of a discussion often have valid points. It's a shame when people refuse to even hear what the other person is saying instead of turning it into a shouting contest.

Legend

User Info Menu

Of course. Once reason leaves I usually do as well. Whether the discussion is sports, politics, or any other topic. The truth is that both sides of a discussion often have valid points. It's a shame when people refuse to even hear what the other person is saying instead of turning it into a shouting contest.
    This is a good example.

I think I'm out on this thread.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Tomlin and Cowher were equally good coaches up to this point of their carreers. Tomlin and Cowher are both winners and champions. That's good enough for me.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Disco1981 View Post
    Feltizz still playing the race card lol...The most racist Dude on here ( hates anything white ) still trying to play that " poor ass whoa is me card " ...I see nothing has changed on here lol
    true indeed.

nothing has changed on here.

The irrational Tomlin detractors always use the Rooney Rule and then turn tail when they get called out on it.

and then you show up late with the same sad post.