Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting to know 2021 Steelers draft prospect Nick Bolton with SKL

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Getting to know 2021 Steelers draft prospect Nick Bolton with SKL

Hey gang. As many of you know this is the time of year I go from observing to posting. I usually will take a behind the scenes look at a bunch of guys that should be on the Steelers radar (although admittedly not as many as I used to when I was hitting up the Senior Bowl and Combine every year). This thread will look at Mizzou-LB-Nick Bolton

Pros

* will get ball carrier down by any means necessary
    * despite average size for position is a physical specimen
    * elite instincts, sees the play and goes
    * rarely make a poor decision in coverage
    * shows ability to sift through trash to avoid blocks
    * Is a true 3 down linebacker. Capable in all 3 phases of pass rush, run D. and pass coverage
    * sideline to sideline motor
    * played his best vs Alabama
    * shows good ball skills

Cons

* tackling is not textbook
    * speed is average
    * does not possess elite hands to shed defenders

NFL player Comp- Bobby Wagner
    Draft Day Range- picks 18-40
    Teams competing to draft him- CLE/Balt/NO/GB/Buf/NE/NYJ
    2021 Draft- Would love to drop down 7-10 picks and grab an extra 3rd and then use that 3rd to move up in the 2nd.

1/??) Asante Samuel-CB-FSU
    2/??) Creed Humphrey-C-OU
    3/87) Trey Sermon-RB-OSU
    4/128- Josh Kaindoh-Edge-FSU
    4/140) Stone Forsythe-OT-Florida
    6/216) Tre McKitty-TE-UGA
    7/245) Quinton Bohanna-DT-UK
    7/254) Tariq Thompson-S-SDSU

2022 Re-sign Minkah and Watt. Grab a stud LT and ILB in FA. Trade up for a QB

Legend

User Info Menu

1.24 Najee Harris RB Alabama / Travis Etienne RB Clemson
    2.55 Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma / Landon Dickerson C Alabama / Quinn Meinerz C Wisconsin-Whitewater
    3.87 Spencer Brown OT N Iowa / James Hudson OT Cincinnati / Stone Forsythe OT Florida
    4.128 Robert Rochell CB Central Arkansas / Kary Vincent Jr CB LSU
    4.140 Patrick Jones II OLB Pitt
    6.216 Tre' McKitty TE Georgia

Starter

User Info Menu

So he's short, with average speed, needs to refine his tackling and has issues shading blockers? Sounds a bit like Bush, who at least has really good speed. With Bolton having a late 1st to 2nd round grade, we have much bigger needs. Hard pass.
    Realistic rebuild mock draft 3-29-2021.Plan to spend $110,094,402 in cap space in 2022 and have 4 comp picks + what we have in the 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

1) RB Najee Harris - A 3 down back, makes em; miss, runs then over, Gets outside, blocks like a top FB
    2 ) LT Dillon Radunz
    3 ) CB Paulson Adebo -
    4a ) C Drake Jackson-
    4b ) TE Tommy Temble
    6) G / C Cole Van Lanen -
    7a ) S Darmr Hamln -
    7b ) ILB Erroll Thompson

Legend

User Info Menu

One site has the Steelers picking EDGE Carlos Basham @ 24; 6'5"- 285lbs with "surprising speed".... strong against the run.

Legend

User Info Menu

Missouri ILB Nick Bolton Works out for Steelers Coach Jerry Olsavsky at Pro Day, Gets Advice from Mike Tomlin

March 22, 2021
    By Griffin Floyd

Nick Bolton, who was one of the top tacklers in the SEC in 2019 and 2020, met and worked out with Steelers inside linebackers coach Jerry Olsavsky at Missouri’s pro day.

Bolton said Olsavsky gave him advice on “what he felt like was a positive for me, what I need to work on. He helped me get a little better today.”

Mike Tomlin, Kevin Colbert and Olsavsky spent the better part of an hour on zoom last week, discussing the Steelers scheme and their analysis of him as a player. Bolton is a fiery player, and they

“The biggest advice from [Tomlin] was stop being so hard on myself,” Bolton said. “I’m my biggest critic, and it kind of shows.”

Bolton is 5-foot-11, 237 pounds and ran his 40-yard dash in 4.59 seconds, the rare combination of physical play and athleticism that’s crucial to playing the inside linebacker position in today’s NFL.

“I ran faster than I think people anticipated me, so I feel like that’s a positive,” Bolton said.

Projected as a first or second round pick, Bolton has received a lot of interest from NFL teams.

“I talked to numerous teams, nearly all of them,” Bolton said.

The Steelers are one of those teams, and inside linebacker is a need for them since Vince Williams became a cap casualty. The Steelers linebacker tandems in recent years have shown a mix of sideline to sideline speed and aggressive, run stopping physicality, as evidenced by Williams’ consistent play next to rangy players like Ryan Shazier and Devin Bush.

Bolton can lay the wood, and would be a good yin to Bush’s yang in black and gold.

“The best thing I love about football is the physicality,” Bolton said. “I like to hit, I like to run, I like to be physical.”

His speedy 40 time, however, shows that he can be more than just a run stopping grinder.

Bolton said he’s used to playing zone coverage because of the Tigers defensive scheme. However, he can play man to man if needed, which is crucial in the modern NFL with mismatches from speedy tight ends and receivers out of the backfield a huge part of the game.

“I didn’t play that much man on man on tight ends or running backs this season,” Bolton said. “I like to play man to man coverage, but we played primarily zone this year.”

https://steelersnow.com/missouri-ilb...ky-at-pro-day/
    1.24 Najee Harris RB Alabama / Travis Etienne RB Clemson
    2.55 Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma / Landon Dickerson C Alabama / Quinn Meinerz C Wisconsin-Whitewater
    3.87 Spencer Brown OT N Iowa / James Hudson OT Cincinnati / Stone Forsythe OT Florida
    4.128 Robert Rochell CB Central Arkansas / Kary Vincent Jr CB LSU
    4.140 Patrick Jones II OLB Pitt
    6.216 Tre' McKitty TE Georgia

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is my pick in the first. The perfect thumper to compliment Bush's backside pursuit. With him, Bush and TJ, we'd be locked in at 3 of 4 LB spots for years to come.

And because this is a deep o-line class (specifically, OT), you could easily get a starter in the 2nd round.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

2021 Mock Draft
    1. Nick Bolton, LB, Missouri
    2. Walker Little, OT, Stanford
    Alim McNeill, NT, NC State
    4a.
    Trey Hill, G/C Georgia
    4b.
    Chris Evans, RB Michigan

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Is it me or is his stock dropping, he is getting lost in the shuffle of the prodays, getting leap frogged by Collins, Davis, Werner, and Browning.

This dude might even drop to the end of the 2nd or early 3rd round with everyone making a run at CB, OT, C, WR, RB in the 2nd.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    Is it me or is his stock dropping, he is getting lost in the shuffle of the prodays, getting leap frogged by Collins, Davis, Werner, and Browning.

This dude might even drop to the end of the 2nd or early 3rd round with everyone making a run at CB, OT, C, WR, RB in the 2nd.
    1 ) We don't need ILB as much as LT, RT, C, RB and soon to be QB.

2 ) The reason his stock is dropping is teams don't want a shorter thumper ( he's 6 feet tall ) with good but not great speed, who didn't exactly produce enough splash plays in coverage.

Yeah, he'd upgrade us, but we have so many more needs.
    Realistic rebuild mock draft 3-29-2021.Plan to spend $110,094,402 in cap space in 2022 and have 4 comp picks + what we have in the 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

1) RB Najee Harris - A 3 down back, makes em; miss, runs then over, Gets outside, blocks like a top FB
    2 ) LT Dillon Radunz
    3 ) CB Paulson Adebo -
    4a ) C Drake Jackson-
    4b ) TE Tommy Temble
    6) G / C Cole Van Lanen -
    7a ) S Darmr Hamln -
    7b ) ILB Erroll Thompson

Legend

User Info Menu

Unless the player is the second coming of Shazier not interested in an ILB in Rd 1. Is there even a Shazier2.0 in this draft?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Unless the player is the second coming of Shazier not interested in an ILB in Rd 1. Is there even a Shazier2.0 in this draft?
    That would be Zaven Collins
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"