Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This Would Be A Good Move

Legend

User Info Menu

This Would Be A Good Move

Steven Nelson, kind of a forgotten player but one that must be extended. He has played up to his contract (and I would argue played beyond it). Do it this season before he becomes an UFA next season;

http://www.cbssports.com/general/vid...7-60a628017101

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Steven Nelson, kind of a forgotten player but one that must be extended. He has played up to his contract (and I would argue played beyond it). Do it this season before he becomes an UFA next season;

http://www.cbssports.com/general/vid...7-60a628017101
    If we can get him under market I think it's a good idea.

He's still under contract this season, so hopefully we can squeeze him a bit so he can take security (money now) over playing out his contract for bigger $$.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think if at all possible he needs extended. There is a good possibility we lose Hilton and/ or Sutton. Need to at least lock up Nelson if possible.

I am torn on Haden but he seemed to play well last year. I wouldn't mind seeing him get an extension as well. Great character guy and leader.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    I think if at all possible he needs extended. There is a good possibility we lose Hilton and/ or Sutton. Need to at least lock up Nelson if possible.

I am torn on Haden but he seemed to play well last year. I wouldn't mind seeing him get an extension as well. Great character guy and leader.
    You are falling into the Steelers trap of keeping guys past their prime. Unless Haden takes a below market deal I would not resign him.

You know what they say "best to sell too early rather than too late".

Starter

User Info Menu

You are falling into the Steelers trap of keeping guys past their prime. Unless Haden takes a below market deal I would not resign him.

You know what they say "best to sell too early rather than too late".
    I definitely agree. I love Joe Haden, he brings a lot of good things to the team. But heís also not young anymore. Nelson is in his prime and Iíd extend 3-4 years for him and reduce this yearís cap hit.

Iíd let Haden play out his contract this year and then see where both sides are at after that (if he doesnít become a cap casualty this year). If he plays at an acceptable level, I might look at year to year contracts after that at a below market price.

Tough player to lose, though, but age is on Nelsonís side in this one.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerMaine83 View Post
    I definitely agree. I love Joe Haden, he brings a lot of good things to the team. But he’s also not young anymore. Nelson is in his prime and I’d extend 3-4 years for him and reduce this year’s cap hit.

I’d let Haden play out his contract this year and then see where both sides are at after that (if he doesn’t become a cap casualty this year). If he plays at an acceptable level, I might look at year to year contracts after that at a below market price.

Tough player to lose, though, but age is on Nelson’s side in this one.
    Once he hits the wall and all corners do, Haden could be moved to S.

Nelson is a good player, seldom targeted. I would not break the bank for him as he's not as good as Haden is/was but he's one heck of a #2 CB, and can be an okay #1 CB
    Realistic rebuild mock draft 3-29-2021.Plan to spend $110,094,402 in cap space in 2022 and have 4 comp picks + what we have in the 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

1) RB Najee Harris - A 3 down back, makes em; miss, runs then over, Gets outside, blocks like a top FB
    2 ) LT Dillon Radunz
    3 ) CB Paulson Adebo -
    4a ) C Drake Jackson-
    4b ) TE Tommy Temble
    6) G / C Cole Van Lanen -
    7a ) S Darmr Hamln -
    7b ) ILB Erroll Thompson

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post

I agree that he is a character guy, but I thought his play fell off last year, even a little before the rest of the team did. If you extend Haden it is strictly a salary cap move to free up a few bucks this season, but not to add new guaranteed money for the future. Nelson is three years younger and I would be fine extending him with an eye towards him still being with the team for the next few years, so I'm willing to make more of a commitment to tie him up.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post

Nelson is a good player, seldom targeted. I would not break the bank for him as he's not as good as Haden is/was but he's one heck of a #2 CB, and can be an okay #1 CB
    PFF ranked Nelson far better than Haden.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

PFF ranked Nelson far better than Haden.
    I thought Nelson did play better than Haden, especially in terms of tackling.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post

Nelson is much better now than Haden. Haden gambles too much and tends to be out of position. I'd take Nelson over Haden every time
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"