Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranking AFCN QBs

Legend

User Info Menu

Ranking AFCN QBs

Here's a link from the Depot where they discuss some media rankings of QBs in our division.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/02/mc...back-for-2021/

Has Ben 3rd.

I would have put him 2nd before last season.

Now I think 3rd might be too high going on performance for next year alone, and just looking at talent (not value).

That's as much because of how good the QBs in the division will be as Ben declining IMO.

He's unquestionably last when looking at cap value IMO.

I think we'll be the best division in the league again next year. That's another reason I wanted to rebuild now.

But it will be such an odd year. I could honestly see us finishing anywhere from 1 to 4 next year.

Maybe the D plays well and stays healthy and Ben does enough to eek out games.

Or maybe we get the tire fire we saw at the end of last season.

I want to believe, but I just can't convince myself (yet). Need to wait untill the off season is done and we get Flips SB or Bust magic going.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 02-25-2021 at 08:12 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I guess it depends on criteria.
    He’s number one for tds and yards
    He’s last for cap hit.
    He’s first for winning games
    Jackson is first for running
    Burrows is number one for future
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

ďYeah, absolutely, itís not how you start, itís how you finish, right? And we have seen in spurts Big Ben play well,Ē Tomlinson said. ďHe started out hot, but he didnít finish so well.
    This says it all... the offensed managed more than 20 pts only twice in the last month and a half of the season. That's not gonna put a W on the board in many games.
    No reason to believe he will finish above LJ or BM. And if Burrow gets an OL, Roethlisberger could be holding down the anchor position.

Legend

User Info Menu

We just need the D to carry Ben so he can be ranked #1.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think this is true (and we need a running game).

Try to run the Bill Cowher with Ben offense where we don't ask him to do too much.

I just think that the team will be worse next year and we won't end up asking him to do an Atlas impersonation again.

Hopefully I can look back in a year and feel stupid for having so much doubt.

Legend

User Info Menu

Did this story need to be written? Or the question even asked?? What is Rooney going to say?.... "we really don't know if Roethlisberger can get us back to a SB, but what the heck, we thought it would be a good story to bring him back" ....talk about desperation for clicks;

Art Rooney II: Steelers still confident we can win with Ben Roethlisberger
    Posted by Michael David Smith on February 26, 2021, 9:28 AM EST

Houston Texans v Pittsburgh Steelers
    Getty Images
    The Steelers have made clear that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will not be back on his current contract, but owner Art Rooney II insists that’s a reflection only of the salary cap, and not of how Roethlisberger is playing.

Rooney said the Steelers still believe that Roethlisberger is a Super Bowl-caliber quarterback.

“We think Ben played at a high level last year,” Rooney told Steelers.com. “We won our division and set a franchise record for most consecutive wins to open a season, so there was a lot of good stuff. Ben was as disappointed as anybody the way it ended. That last game is just hard to swallow, and I think in part Ben wants to come back and leave on a high note. We’re still confident he has the ability to do that. His arm, I would say, is as strong or almost as strong as ever, so I think he’s certainly capable of getting the job done. Part of the concern is putting a [competitive] team around him, and we had a good discussion about that. We know there are still a lot of pieces to the puzzle that still have to fall into place this season, and we’re hard at work trying to make that happen.”

Both Roethlisberger and Rooney have expressed confidence that they can come to terms on a new contract. Still, Rooney acknowledged that the Steelers will not go into the 2021 league year with Roethlisberger on his current contract. That means if a deal can’t get done before the league year starts, Roethlisberger would be released.

“Hopefully we’ll work something out before that,” said Rooney, “but certainly if you want to say there’s a hard deadline, March 17 would be it.”

At this point, all parties are indicating a deal will get done. But that March 17 deadline looms.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...oethlisberger/

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The D can't carry a team that can't run the ball. Gotta get the line together to run the ball. Running the ball will carry Ben.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Did this story need to be written? Or the question even asked?? What is Rooney going to say?.... "we really don't know if Roethlisberger can get us back to a SB, but what the heck, we thought it would be a good story to bring him back" ....talk about desperation for clicks;
    I think the writers are faced with a deadline and have to crank something out that will attract readers.

and articles like this are the result.

having said that, I would choose any of the other AFC North QBs over Ben.
    Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 02-26-2021 at 01:38 PM.
    1.24 Najee Harris RB Alabama
    2.55 Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma
    3.87 Spencer Brown OT N Iowa
    4.128 Robert Rochell CB Central Arkansas
    4.140 Daelin Hayes OLB Notre Dame
    6.216 Divine Deablo S/ILB Va Teck
    7.245 Sadarius Hutcherson OG/OT South Carolina
    7.254 John Bates TE Boise St

Legend

User Info Menu

AFCN QB Rankings:

1) Ben R - Two SB rings
    2) 3 way tie - Baker M, Joe B, Lamar J - 0 SB rings

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    AFCN QB Rankings:

1) Ben R - Two SB rings
    2) 3 way tie - Baker M, Joe B, Lamar J - 0 SB rings
    from that angle, I absolutely agree with you.

but if you were selecting AFC North QBs to play on your team today, your rankings would likely be much different.
    1.24 Najee Harris RB Alabama
    2.55 Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma
    3.87 Spencer Brown OT N Iowa
    4.128 Robert Rochell CB Central Arkansas
    4.140 Daelin Hayes OLB Notre Dame
    6.216 Divine Deablo S/ILB Va Teck
    7.245 Sadarius Hutcherson OG/OT South Carolina
    7.254 John Bates TE Boise St