Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Now that we have QB clarity...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I think that's exactly what Colbert plans on doing, unless we sign a center in free agency.
    If the center isn’t there at 24, I wouldn’t mind trading down a few spots to get more picks. We could really load up on the OL with some good players.

The mocks I’ve seen have been all over the place. From linebacker to trading up to get Derrisaw to staying put and grabbing the tackle from Michigan. Things should get more clear after FA and the combine.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Great post I was think about this for a few days now...

Not to bust your bubbles, but I don't think we will draft a center earlier than the 4th maybe 6th.

We are going to sign a vet center FA (maybe 2 if we bring an swing IOL back up like Finney- we have no back up guards either folks) They are usually affordable, and there are going to be many cap cuts.

They will go a combo of RB, OT, and sure up the loses from FA or cap cuts on the defense side of ball like replacing VW, Hilton, back up Edge, back up NT-DE ( Wormely)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think the consideration is if you pass on Harris is there another RB in Rounds 2-3 near his level. Same equation for OL. If you pass on a Creed Humphrey in Round 1 is there another Center close to him in 2-3.

I'm fine with however they work it out, but I think Harris is an elite Saquon Barkley like talent where the multiple OL guys available are pretty close.
    I'd pass on Creed, and go after Dickerson from Alabama. He'll start day 1. Just like Pouncey did, and he's great at run blocking. They may sign a Center or Tackle in Free agency, according to some in the media, so if they do, then perhaps we're only drafting 1 OLineman. I'd still like to see them try and trade down in the 1st, pick up an extra pick, then take Dickerson at end of 1st round. I'd pick up a OT later in the draft for depth, competition.

If they re-sign Banner at cheap deal because of his injury, he could compete at LT, along with a FA/ draft pick. Dotson at LG, Dickerson at C, DD at RG and Okorafor at RT. Maybe sign Feiler for depth. and we have the other Center from Alabama.

They still gonna need some depth on Defense. Safety, CB, LB
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

I kinda think getting a "bell cow" RB early might help more than young, inexperienced OL. We can get those in Round 2-4
    No way... I'll take stud OL's all day long. There are guys in rounds 1-4 thatll step in and start for us. Thank goodness we picked up K. Dotson last year in round 4.. or else wed really be in trouble.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I know many here are looking at RB - but I still maintain our O-line was such a disaster this year and combined with Ben being unable to throw deep consistently and defenses swarming the LOS with 9 guys we really don't know just how effective the guys we have are. I think Conner has shown he's too injury prone, but I really believe an upgraded/repaired O-line along with Ben (hopefully) strengthening his arm to bring back a deep threat will pay dividends to the run game and give us a better assessment of what we currently have. If there is a stud no-brainer RB on the board, fine - but I hope Colbert doesn't reach and really focuses on the 5 up front.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    That and less predictability from the offense. I think I read here that we run 88% of the time when Ben is under center and 76% (or close) when Ben is in the shotgun.

This makes it easy for the defense to stop the run and defend the pass. Need to be less predictable. Obviously.
    The predictability is due to Ben's limitations.. and precisely why bringing him next year with a lesser roster makes little sense.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd be scared to death of Dickerson's injury history and durability

I expect that we could see BJ Finney back and maybe Kelvin Beachum. IMO that would open up the draft for us a bit which is what the front office likes to do...remove desperation before the draft to give flexibility.
    I think we'll do something like this too.

When / if that works out, I'll be more open minded about other positions early.

Should be an interesting draft because we have a lot of potential needs

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    And even though it's a deep OT class, how many are going to make it to our second pick?
    I think 5 OT's will be picked in round one, however there are plenty of good ones in round two.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. Art Rooney II, get a new head coach.

Current mock draft as of 3-18-24

1. QB Nix
    2. C Fraizer
    3. OT Fisher
    3B. DL Smith
    4. S Bullock
    6. WR Pickney
    6. CB Newton

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    I know many here are looking at RB - but I still maintain our O-line was such a disaster this year and combined with Ben being unable to throw deep consistently and defenses swarming the LOS with 9 guys we really don't know just how effective the guys we have are. I think Conner has shown he's too injury prone, but I really believe an upgraded/repaired O-line along with Ben (hopefully) strengthening his arm to bring back a deep threat will pay dividends to the run game and give us a better assessment of what we currently have. If there is a stud no-brainer RB on the board, fine - but I hope Colbert doesn't reach and really focuses on the 5 up front.
    I honestly think Steeler fans have forgotten what a good back can do.

Conner was a limited in-between the tackles back with next to zero big play ability. This combined with too many short passes and timely drops killed the offense. The OL was an issue. But even with a good one Conner's limitations are still there.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. Art Rooney II, get a new head coach.

Current mock draft as of 3-18-24

1. QB Nix
    2. C Fraizer
    3. OT Fisher
    3B. DL Smith
    4. S Bullock
    6. WR Pickney
    6. CB Newton

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    I honestly think Steeler fans have forgotten what a good back can do.

Conner was a limited in-between the tackles back with next to zero big play ability. This combined with too many short passes and timely drops killed the offense. The OL was an issue. But even with a good one Conner's limitations are still there.
    Conner has shown in the past that he can do it. But I don't know what has changed other than I don't think he has the same burst and power through the line. Whatever he is now, he's not enough. I would offer a RB#2 contract at say $2M. Remember, he can still block on pass plays and catch the ball as well.
    oh btw, L Bell is a free agent...