Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Steelers, Ben Now Engaged In ‘Really Big Game Of Chicken

Legend

User Info Menu

Report: Steelers, Ben Now Engaged In ‘Really Big Game Of Chicken

Report: Steelers, Roethlisberger Now Engaged In ‘Really Big Game Of Chicken’; No Team Consensus On What To Do

By Dave Bryan
    Posted on February 22, 2021

What’s going to happen between the Pittsburgh Steelers and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in the next three weeks? While nobody really knows for sure right now, there certainly isn’t a lack of speculation as to what might happen and especially on the heels of what all Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert did and did not say about Roethlisberger’s potential future status with the team when he talked to the media last week for nearly 30 minutes. In fact, one national media member seems to interpret the current situation between the Steelers and Roethlisberger as a big game of chicken right now. That one person is Aditi Kinkhabwala of the NFL Network.

“This is essentially turning into a really big game of chicken here in Pittsburgh, where the Steelers are almost daring Ben Roethlisberger to say something back,” Kinkhabwala said Monday during an NFL Network segment about Roethlisberger. “And Ben Roethlisberger has already said what he wants to say, which is that he wants to come back and play for the Steelers. That he’s willing to work with the Steelers on ameliorating that $41 million cap hit. That he will indeed pay for the $19 million that he’s owed. He is not going to look for any sort of a raise. And now it’s the Steelers turn.”

Personally, I think this is all hogwash. A game of chicken? Really? That’s my opinion. It seems so over-dramatized right now, but that’s just me. Feel free to call me crazy.

Kinkhabwala did not stop there, however.

“The Steelers are not in consensus on what to do,” Kinkhabwala continued. “From what I have been told, there is a very, very strong feeling in that building that it is time to simply move forward and that while the Steelers still have Ben Roethlisberger, there’s a bit of a limbo. Because even though there is a new offensive coordinator and there is a new quarterbacks coach, Ben Roethlisberger likes to play a particular way and that does not necessarily mesh with all the shifts and the motions that that new offensive coordinator Matt Canada would like to incorporate.”

Strong feeling in the building? The only people in the Steelers building that matter are team president Art Rooney II, general manager Kevin Colbert and head coach Mike Tomlin. No, quarterback Mason Rudolph does not count as a person in the building.

So, why maybe haven’t the two sides come to an agreement as of yet as to what Roethlisberger’s future is? Maybe it’s because no real heavy talks have taken place yet between the two sides. In fact, Kinkhabwala even admitted as much on Twitter Monday afternoon. Is this a big deal? Personally, I don’t think so. After all, there is still more than three weeks remaining before a decision must be made. The NFL still hasn’t set a cap number for 2021 as well.

How will things ultimately play out? I have my guess just like most of you have yours. Despite all that has been said or not said this offseason, my best prediction remains that Roethlisberger will play for the Steelers in 2021 and still receive the $19 million he’s currently still due to do just that, albeit via an extension that includes voidable years. Could my gut guess be wrong? Sure, it could.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/02/re...on-what-to-do/
    Planet Steelers 2021 Mock Draft:

1.24 Najee Harris RB Alabama
    2.55 Walker Little OT Stanford

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ben media drama...

no story here

Legend

User Info Menu

Bouchette Expects Decision To Be Made On Roethlisberger Within Next Week, Doesn’t Know What Direction Team Will Go

By Alex Kozora
    Posted on February 22, 2021

Round and round the Ben Roethlisberger news cycle goes. When it’ll stop, nobody knows. But The Athletic’s Ed Bouchette has a guess. Joining The Fan Morning Show with Colin Dunlap and Chris Mack, Bouchette believes the Steelers will come to a resolution with Roethlisberger within the next week. What direction they decide to go with him is a much more open question.

“I think in the next 7 days, that brings us to early March, I think something’s going to be done with Ben one way or the other,” he told the show. “I’m not going to sit here and say he’s not coming back or he is because I don’t know.”

Kevin Colbert didn’t strongly commit one way or another in speaking with the media last week, especially during his 30 minute conference call with reporters. He struck a more optimistic tone in his 1v1 with Steelers.com’s Missi Matthews.

At this point, we only know two things.

1. Ben Roethlisberger wants to return. He’s made that clear, though Bouchette cautioned his “I don’t care what my pay” statement doesn’t mean he’s willing to take a massive paycut. Just that he wasn’t looking for a raise.

2. Roethlisberger can’t play at his $41 million cap charge. The Steelers’ organization made that point as soon as the season ended. The only way Roethlisberger returns is if the team does something with his contract.

That leaves a couple of options you’ve probably memorized by now. Roethlisberger takes a paycut, the team works out an extension (likely including voidable years) or the team cuts him.

With there being slightly more clarity on the 2021 cap, the floor raised to at least $180 million, and the Steelers beginning to get cap compliant with today’s restructure of Cam Heyward, Bouchette is probably correct in saying a resolution should soon occur. The odds are still good Roethlisberger returns in 2021. But they don’t seem quite as ironclad as they were a few weeks ago.

Until the next edition of “As The Roethlisberger Turns.”

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/02/bo...-team-will-go/
    Planet Steelers 2021 Mock Draft:

1.24 Najee Harris RB Alabama
    2.55 Walker Little OT Stanford

Legend

User Info Menu

I hate the offseason.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Gonna be a long off-season...steelers are like drama magnets lol I'm ok with big ben retiring. Hate for it to get to him being cut but damn this is gonna suck

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

His ass needs to retire. They clearly dont want hard feelings by cutting him, and he knows it. He threw that lame crap about being willing to take less money, to put the pressure on the Steelers. Now they have to deal with the consequences of signing him to that last comtract. I seriously wish Ben would go away.

Legend

User Info Menu

What can they discuss? They don't know what the final cap is yet.

This doesn't sound like a story, just more speculation.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    I hate the offseason.
    I hate the end of a career of a Hall of Fame, franchise QB. It is the end and Ben needs to go IMO. But I hate it being the end. Replacing him won't be easy and probably not swift.

Legend

User Info Menu

If you piece this story together with the one that the Depot wrote about the team being high on Rudolph maybe there is some FO thinking that they want to move on this season. After all, Rudolph is a FA after this season so they need to make a decision on whether he is worth anything at all to sign.

EDIT: This from Florio:

I have a feeling this isn’t gonna end well. Nobody wants to be the villain. They want to find a way to back out of this. But I think for the Steelers, the analysis is very simple: we don’t think the team around him is gonna be good enough to justify continuing this another year. I think that’s what they’re trying to figure out. And if they think the team isn’t gonna be good enough, they’re gonna say, ‘let’s just go ahead and remove the band aid now, let’s take the salary cap hit, and let’s start planning for life without Ben’.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 02-23-2021 at 09:29 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I can't fathom the Steelers playing "Chicken" with Ben. They're not that weak. I'm sure everyone would like a fairy tale end to a HOF career but QBs rarely go out like John Elway.

The only way Ben is going to win a playoff game is if he throws less than 35 times per game and we're able to rely on a solid run game. Just like Elway won after Terrell Davis provided that solid run game, Ben's arm cannot be the focus of the offense. Ben threw an absurd number of times in 2020. Too many chances for mistakes, especially when he starts to press.