Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: A reason Ben does not want to retire

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by "BuzzNuter" View Post
    Ben's future is in Pittsburgh. He has made it his home. His wife's family is from western PA. He will do whatever it takes to play this year even play for less$. The goodwill he will get from doing that will be worth more $ and just plain feel good for him and his family going forward. He's got enough money from football. He now has to plan for his future in the Burg. He's not stupid this is how he's thinking.
    Take off the 'Burgh glasses for sec. The guy can live anywhere on the planet after football. He's not from Pittsburgh. And visiting his wife's family is a private jet trip away.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    But none of them are dramatically shortening their life and health spans by continuing to work like NFL football players probably are.

^^^This^^. And if it was really about the money why in the world would Roethlisberger threaten retirement four years ago before his last contract??? Listen to his words in what was a private conversation: "I came back for you guys"..meaning his teammates. He was playing to get them a ring.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 02-23-2021 at 05:30 PM.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

I just think Ben wants to go out on top. That's how he thinks. He will stay in Pittsburgh. He's not moving anywhere. He'll go to Penguins and Steeler games and watch his kids in the WPIAL. His future is only in Pittsburgh or back in Findlay. Ben is not woke enough to participate in regular NFL retirement life. H#ll a lot of people on this board still bring up the women stuff from what 07. What do you think people elsewhere think. Besides why would you ever want to leave Pittsburgh.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Take off the 'Burgh glasses for sec. The guy can live anywhere on the planet after football. He's not from Pittsburgh. And visiting his wife's family is a private jet trip away.
    I think Ben is more a Pittsburgh guy than you indicate. Keep in mind he bought a farm for his parent and moved them to the Pittsburgh area years ago in addition to his wife being a native Pittsburgher
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I'm just going to assume you aren't in the category of having generational wealth in your bank account (neither am I). But when you get to that point a lot of what you are bringing up isn't even a thought to these guys. What drives a Trump?, a Brady?, a Bill Gates? Hint, it ain't money. It's ego. Roethlisberger has a quarter billion dollars in his bank account, putting him in the 1% club. Groveling for another 10% of that isn't changing his lifestyle.
    Ego and money are not by any means mutually exclusive. I would venture to say for the most egocentric person on your list, his thirst for money IS about his ego as is his quest for power. He was ALWAYS driven by ego. Money is just a means to feed it.

I would also suggest that for most players, their salary is a statement of their value. It is largely driven by ego.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    100%. One thing, if Ben get cut and takes 19 million from the Steelers, he sure can start elsewhere for say 15 million million year, netting him say 19 + 15 = 34 million to play ball next season. We are NOT paying him 34 million to play next year. I'm 100% sure his agent is on the phone, and a team like the Chicago Bears might do this deal as Ben on their cap for 15 million makes sense. On our cap for 41 million, no way! We cut him and save a lot, issuing him a check for 19 million not to play for the Steelers. This is what happens when you kick the can on an older expensive player.

Its about the money, and if Ben really didn't care he's reduces what he making big time. Like you said he doesn't own any pizza chains, or car dealerships. Thanks for the post Starlifter, I have negotiated half million dollar deals. It's always about the t's and c's. THE MONEY. Unless you catch a credit defunct sucker badly in need, and you usually find these types, to be politically correct in badly run urban areas who are oh so tardy issuing PO's and by the time you get it, the cost has gone way down. I once took pity on such an origination and threw in a free weeks of service for the heck of it, on me.
    I keep telling you. He is NOT getting paid the dead money that limits our cap. You keep implying we are "going" to pay him 19 million if he walks.

If he walks he gets NOTHING from us THIS YEAR.

More than 19 million (actually like 22 million plus) WE ALREADY PAID HIM, counts against our 2021 cap even if he walks. That is dead money.

When people talk 19 million, it is what we are scheduled to pay him under the current contract this year IF HE PLAYS for us under that deal.

The combination of 22 plus he was already paid and the 19 we would pay this season under the current deal creates cap hit of over 40 million.

If Ben walks he is owed nothing from the Steelers, but his cap 22 point something dead money cap hit remains.

In your scenario he gets 15 million to play this year from the team he signs with not double that as the Steelers would owe him nothing.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 02-23-2021 at 08:27 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

You guys keep insisting it's the money Roethlisberger is after. Like he has some great Wallstreet job and just needs to show up in an air-conditioned office each day to get paid millions. The guy is putting his body in harms way every time he steps on the field. He is one play away from having a life-altering injury (God forbid). If he's the family man some are saying and If he already has more money than he can spend in a lifetime, his health and concern for his family has to be at the top of his list.
    Roethlisberger on talking about retirement a few years back:
    “Of course, I want to play catch with my kids. I want to know my kids’ names. As much as I want my kids to remember what I did and watch me play the game, I also want to remember them when I’m 70 years old.

“It’s a factor. I think, my wife, it was more of a factor for her. You have to take it into consideration. That’s why I’ve always been forthright and honest about my concussions and being hit in the head. This shows there’s nothing to mess with. If you want to mess with your brain, you can’t put a new one in. You can’t have a brain transplant. If you want to mess with your brain, go ahead. I’m not going to. I love my family and kids.”

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    I work under a collective agreement and I've negotiated many contracts. While the NFL is not the same as aviation - one thing you can be sure of, it's always about money. When people say they want anything other than money, it's simply not true. Better quality of life? Pay me more and i'll have it. Better health care? Pay me more and I'll find it. Better schedule? Pay me more and I'll have the luxury of taking off as much time as I need.

So while all the reasons above are interesting and have some merit - the simple truth is, Ben wants to come back first and foremost for 10's of millions of dollars. Everything else is secondary. No one is hiring him to be on ESPN. No one is hiring him to be a coach. He doesn't have a chain of car dealerships or restaurants. There is nothing out there that I can see that will pay him anywhere close to a fraction of what he can make with one more year.

So winning superbowls, not ending on cleveland, boosting stats for HOF consideration are thoughts and perhaps goals - they simply pale to the goal of making another 20 million dollars.

If the Steelers will pay - he's coming back. The only number that counts is how much.
    All very valid arguments, but I would argue back that professional sport, no matter how much players call it a business, is still emotive.

You want to win. Think about it- as a fan, you are emotionally invested in the results. Ever played sport? You are emotionally invested in the result. If results didnít drive players, what would they care if they finish with 1 win or winning a SB? Because they chase the result. No matter the level, or the financial aspect, itís still a game, that these guys surely enjoy. They want to win. Why else would he sit dejected after the loss to Cleveland?

The finances play a part, for sure. But if heís coming back, itís not to get 1 win and sit on a pay cheque.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    All very valid arguments, but I would argue back that professional sport, no matter how much players call it a business, is still emotive.

You want to win. Think about it- as a fan, you are emotionally invested in the results. Ever played sport? You are emotionally invested in the result. If results didn’t drive players, what would they care if they finish with 1 win or winning a SB? Because they chase the result. No matter the level, or the financial aspect, it’s still a game, that these guys surely enjoy. They want to win. Why else would he sit dejected after the loss to Cleveland?

The finances play a part, for sure. But if he’s coming back, it’s not to get 1 win and sit on a pay cheque.
    I agree^^^. Money becomes less and less a motivator as these players age. Listen to the veterans FAs talk; "I want to go to a team that is competitive and in the hunt", "I want to play on the big stage before I'm done". Bettis didn't return for the money. He knew the team had a legitimate chance to win it all.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Do not agree.

If they were really high on Mason, Haskins is not a Steeler
    wait.. I donít think bringing in a QB on the cheap means they donít have faith in Mason.

Thatís just being frugal and smart.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?