Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 75

Thread: A reason Ben does not want to retire

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    A reason Ben does not want to retire

    Let's be honest. On resume alone, Ben should be a first ballot hall of fame quarterback. The question isn't whether he will get it. He will. The question is will he be a first ballot hall of fame enshrine.

    There are some in the media that just don't like Ben, so achieving 80% of the vote could be difficult, especially if there are other worthy candidates at the position. The other reason why he won't make it on his first try is top QB's on the ballot. Both Drew Brees. and Phillip Rivers retired last season. If Ben chooses to retire before the start of the season, he has to beat out both of them. Typically there is only one QB per class. So by retiring after the season, his competition will be cut in hall at quarterback, as Drew Brees is likely a 1st time ballot guy.

    Is earning more than 19 million a year the primary reason Ben does not want to retire? I would say that and he can still play are primary. But don't discount being a 1st ballot hall of fame QB either.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

  2. #2
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Let's be honest. On resume alone, Ben should be a first ballot hall of fame quarterback. The question isn't whether he will get it. He will. The question is will he be a first ballot hall of fame enshrine.

    There are some in the media that just don't like Ben, so achieving 80% of the vote could be difficult, especially if there are other worthy candidates at the position. The other reason why he won't make it on his first try is top QB's on the ballot. Both Drew Brees. and Phillip Rivers retired last season. If Ben chooses to retire before the start of the season, he has to beat out both of them. Typically there is only one QB per class. So by retiring after the season, his competition will be cut in hall at quarterback, as Drew Brees is likely a 1st time ballot guy.

    Is earning more than 19 million a year the primary reason Ben does not want to retire? I would say that and he can still play are primary. But don't discount being a 1st ballot hall of fame QB either.
    I disagree with you 100%

    Those who don't like Ben won't like him no matter his stats or Super Bowls

    Ben will do more damage to his HoF resume coming back next year and looking like Blake Bortles
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

  3. #3
    Backup

    User Info Menu

    Ben is not thinking about the HOF. The HOF is now a political thing also. He knows as we all do he's not getting in on the 1st ballot no matter what. He deserves 1st ballot of course.
    Ben is not going to retire because he is not going out on a 4 INT game against the Browns. He will not play for another team either. The Steelers owe him at least one more year to retire as he wants. If his skills diminish further so what they are going to take a chance. After he goes the Steeler history tells us we are going to go through a bunch of losers for at least 10 years before we get a QB.

  4. #4
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by "BuzzNuter" View Post
    Ben is not thinking about the HOF. The HOF is now a political thing also. He knows as we all do he's not getting in on the 1st ballot no matter what. He deserves 1st ballot of course.
    Ben is not going to retire because he is not going out on a 4 INT game against the Browns. He will not play for another team either. The Steelers owe him at least one more year to retire as he wants. If his skills diminish further so what they are going to take a chance. After he goes the Steeler history tells us we are going to go through a bunch of losers for at least 10 years before we get a QB.
    With Brees and Rivers in the class, he's probably not making it on the first try. Ben does keep stats, and I disagree, he's played enough already. The Stelers own him nothing. I'd rather see the 22-25 million he might get and one more chance to win the superbowl go to right the ship on our salary cap. We are as far away from super bowl as we have been for 10 years.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

  5. #5
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    With Brees and Rivers in the class, he's probably not making it on the first try. Ben does keep stats, and I disagree, he's played enough already. The Stelers own him nothing. I'd rather see the 22-25 million he might get and one more chance to win the superbowl go to right the ship on our salary cap. We are as far away from super bowl as we have been for 10 years.
    Ben is more deserving than Rivers. IMO it’s not even close.

  6. #6
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    Ben is more deserving than Rivers. IMO it’s not even close.
    Rivers - 23 kids

    Rivers - 0 Super Bowls
    Only a true coward puts someone on ignore on a message board.

  7. #7
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Let's be honest. On resume alone, Ben should be a first ballot hall of fame quarterback. The question isn't whether he will get it. He will. The question is will he be a first ballot hall of fame enshrine.

    There are some in the media that just don't like Ben, so achieving 80% of the vote could be difficult, especially if there are other worthy candidates at the position. The other reason why he won't make it on his first try is top QB's on the ballot. Both Drew Brees. and Phillip Rivers retired last season. If Ben chooses to retire before the start of the season, he has to beat out both of them. Typically there is only one QB per class. So by retiring after the season, his competition will be cut in hall at quarterback, as Drew Brees is likely a 1st time ballot guy.

    Is earning more than 19 million a year the primary reason Ben does not want to retire? I would say that and he can still play are primary. But don't discount being a 1st ballot hall of fame QB either.
    It might be good for him to go against those two guys.

    They will absolutely want to put DB in on the first ballot IMO.

    But Ben has more SB wins and appearances.

    And while Rivers is impressive, it would be crazy to put him in over a guy with 2 SB wins.

    Although P King has demonstrated that HOF voting is kind of a joke anyway.

  8. #8
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    Ben is more deserving than Rivers. IMO it’s not even close.
    I agree Rivers is not a hurdle for Ben.

  9. #9
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    Ben is more deserving than Rivers. IMO itís not even close.
    This is why I think it would be good to go at the same time.

    Make them put you in or demonstrate how farcical it is.

  10. #10
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Rivers - 23 kids

    Rivers - 0 Super Bowls
    That poor wife. Now Rivers will be home 24/7.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •