Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For those wanting to choose our next franchise QB in Round 1

Legend

User Info Menu

For those wanting to choose our next franchise QB in Round 1

No QBs drafted in first round from 2009-16 are set to be on original team in 2021

Posted by Josh Alper on February 18, 2021

There were 22 quarterbacks drafted in the first round between the 2009 and 2016 seasons and all of them came with hopes that they’d lead their teams for years to come.

Some of those players had extended runs with their original teams, but, as Field Yates of ESPN notes, none of them are expected to be with the team that drafted them when the 2021 season gets underway. Carson Wentz was the last of the 22 set to be with the same team, but Thursday’s word that the Colts and Eagles have agreed on a trade means it will be a clean sweep as long as that trade and the Matthew Stafford–Jared Goff swap go through as planned.

Stafford was the first overall pick in 2009 and had the longest run with his original team. The full list of the quarterbacks is below:

2009: Stafford, Lions; Mark Sanchez, Jets; Josh Freeman, Buccaneers.

2010: Sam Bradford, Rams; Tim Tebow, Broncos.

2011: Cam Newton, Panthers; Jake Locker, Titans; Blaine Gabbert, Jaguars; Christian Ponder, Vikings.

2012: Andrew Luck, Colts; Robert Griffin III, Washington; Ryan Tannehill, Dolphins; Brandon Weeden, Browns.

2013: EJ Manuel, Bills.

2014: Blake Bortles, Jaguars; Johnny Manziel, Browns; Teddy Bridgewater, Vikings.

2015: Jameis Winston, Buccaneers; Marcus Mariota, Titans.

2016: Goff, Rams; Wentz, Eagles; Paxton Lynch, Broncos.

There were three quarterbacks taken in the first round of the 2017 draft. Two of them — Mitch Trubisky and Deshaun Watson — may be with different teams next year, but it seems unlikely that Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs will be splitting up in the near future.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-drafted-them/
    1.24 Najee Harris RB Alabama
    2.55 Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma
    3.87 Spencer Brown OT N Iowa
    4.128 Robert Rochell CB Central Arkansas
    4.140 Daelin Hayes OLB Notre Dame
    6.216 Divine Deablo S/ILB Va Teck
    7.245 Sadarius Hutcherson OG/OT South Carolina
    7.254 John Bates TE Boise St

Backup

User Info Menu

Well, of the 14 teams that made the playoffs this past season, 11 of them were led by former first round picks.

Also, 5 of the last 6 SBs had former first round picks starting for at least one of the teams. Sometimes it's definitely worth a shot.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This is the year to rebuild the O-line and maybe a RB. No QB this year please.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    I agree 100%.

I think Ben and the Steelers will work something out and we'll roll with Ben, Rudolph and Haskins this year.
    1.24 Najee Harris RB Alabama
    2.55 Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma
    3.87 Spencer Brown OT N Iowa
    4.128 Robert Rochell CB Central Arkansas
    4.140 Daelin Hayes OLB Notre Dame
    6.216 Divine Deablo S/ILB Va Teck
    7.245 Sadarius Hutcherson OG/OT South Carolina
    7.254 John Bates TE Boise St

Backup

User Info Menu

I'm in with OL and RB first three rounds. I don't think what will be left at 24 for QB is going to worth the investment.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree.. OL and RB... and Good TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    I agree.. OL and RB... and Good TE
    Which is why they will go LB.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think this may be evidence that a correction is coming for QB contracts.

Or just that non elite guys will have harder times getting 2nd contracts.

I think that's probably the right move given how cheap rookie deals are compared to market level QB deals.

Probably best to keep moving through 1s5 contract QBs until you have someone elite (or at least top 5).

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think this may be evidence that a correction is coming for QB contracts.

Or just that non elite guys will have harder times getting 2nd contracts.

I think that's probably the right move given how cheap rookie deals are compared to market level QB deals.

Probably best to keep moving through 1s5 contract QBs until you have someone elite (or at least top 5).
    I agree QB's are being way over paid, and this only means that more of them will be drafted early to find one of them cheaply.

Years back teams bit down hard on Left Tackles, only to figure out it's tough to over pay and build a team. Thats why so many are drafted these days in round one.

While QB is critical to success, if you pay a guy 38-42 million a year or more, the going rate for a " top 5 QB " , he's better produce like a top 5 player, not the 10th-13th best player. I hope the Ravens pay Jackson even more. Looking at our division, there's Burrow, Mayfield ( Who looks good enough to win with ) and Jackson. The Bungles have 37.6M in cap space and Browns have 20.2M in cap space. They can add a lot of players in free agency. We've got a soon to be 39 yer old man, and negative cap space with a huge free agency class. There is not more can kicking....we have to pay and lose lots of players.

As always the draft matters a ton. So who's underpaid? The really good GM's that put together the roster and find stars such as Fitz or Watt on their first contract, thats who.

I think we will also see team toss middle of the road QB's if they are on their second contract that are not living up to it. Trade if you can find a sucker or cut the guy and take in in the shorts with dead cap money What Wentz got was insane. No way he's worth that.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 02-19-2021 at 09:23 AM.
    Realistic rebuild mock draft 3-29-2021.Plan to spend $110,094,402 in cap space in 2022 and have 4 comp picks + what we have in the 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

1) RB Najee Harris - A 3 down back, makes em; miss, runs then over, Gets outside, blocks like a top FB
    2 ) LT Dillon Radunz
    3 ) CB Paulson Adebo -
    4a ) C Drake Jackson-
    4b ) TE Tommy Temble
    6) G / C Cole Van Lanen -
    7a ) S Darmr Hamln -
    7b ) ILB Erroll Thompson

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    I agree. Thank Ben and move onto Mason to see what we have
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"