Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My new mock draft, pre workouts.

Legend

User Info Menu

My new mock draft, pre workouts.

With the combine and Pro days in March, I thought I would update my mock draft with an optimistic hope that the players I like will still be on the board.

Round 1 ) QB Mac Jones. Jones SEC and bowl game production, accuracy, command of the playbook is heads and shoulders above the other draft eligible quarterbacks. I see nothing wrong with his arm.

The ball arrives on time, his guys are not waiting for it down field, and DB's can seem to get to the point of the pass on time either. Physically the 22 year old ( With a late birthday ) has big hands, has never been hurt, and has some size to him. Since he ran a 4.82 drive to campus, he's likely a little faster now. Not that he is going to out run a defense, but I do think he has a good release and is tough to sack. Good pocket radar, as he knows who's open.

Round 2 ) LT Dillion Radunz. I feel the depth is right at this point to pick a left tackle. Radunz did not allow a sack last year, Though his competition was suspect he won player of the week at the senior bowl and proved his worth there, which means a lot. A 300 pounder with good feet, length, and the ability to move people, there's a lot to like.

Round 3 ) RB Javonte Williams. Williams is a well built back, with 3 down ability as runner pass catching and blocker. Williams has good football speed , agility and power. He runs for high average per carry and catches it well for a high average per catch. He might not be elite any anything, but he is very good and versatile overall.

Round 4A. C Drake Jackson. Center is a huge need. Jackson is a little small, but graded out very well and did it in the SEC. According to reports, he smart, mobile enough for screens, and only gave up one sack in his college career. Going with more mobile lineman in this draft.

Round 4B ) TE Tommy Tremble. The best run blocking Tight end in the draft and a player with surprising speed. Suddenly the Steelers could have good edge blocking with him and Claypool. Ebron is expensive on the cap. IMO this guy's a Steeler.

Round 6A) P Max Duffy. Although Berry had a good season, I don't trust him. Duffy would upgrade the Steelers, He forced a high amount of fair catches ( 18 out of 42 last year ) , was never blocked in three years, and averaged 46 yards a kick over three years. Had just 1 touchback last year, and 11 kicks over 50 yards. So he can kick you out of trouble, limit returns, has a quick get off, and can pin them deep without touchbacks. Plus he'll be cheap on the cap. A lot to like

Round 6B ) S Damar Hamlin. A SS type who tackles well has long arms and good height. Hamlin makes his share of plays on the ball as he had 6 int's and 21 PD's at Pitt. Not the fastest, but I think his height, long arms and ball skills off set a 4.55-4.6 speed. Our depth at safety is awful.

Round 7A ) Projected comp pick CB Ambry Thomas. Thomas gets his hands on some interceptions. We need the next William Gay.

Round 7B ) ILB Derrick Barnes. Has his share of sacks, has been an asset vs the pass. Around the ball.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 02-17-2021 at 10:15 AM.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. Art Rooney II, get a new head coach.

Our 2024 draft is grade A.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    With the combine and Pro days in March, I thought I would update my mock draft with an optimistic hope that the players I like will still be on the board.

Round 1 ) QB Mac Jones. Jones SEC and bowl game production, accuracy, command of the playbook is heads and shoulders above the other draft eligible quarterbacks. I see nothing wrong with his arm.

The ball arrives on time, his guys are not waiting for it down field, and DB's can seem to get to the point of the pass on time either. Physically the 22 year old ( With a late birthday ) has big hands, has never been hurt, and has some size to him. Since he ran a 4.82 drive to campus, he's likely a little faster now. Not that he is going to out run a defense, but I do think he has a good release and is tough to sack. Good pocket radar, as he knows who's open.

Round 2 ) LT Dillion Radunz. I feel the depth is right at this point to pick a left tackle. Radunz did not allow a sack last year, Though his competition was suspect he won player of the week at the senior bowl and proved his worth there, which means a lot. A 300 pounder with good feet, length, and the ability to move people, there's a lot to like.

Round 3 ) RB Javonte Williams. Williams is a well built back, with 3 down ability as runner pass catching and blocker. Williams has good football speed , agility and power. He runs for high average per carry and catches it well for a high average per catch. He might not be elite any anything, but he is very good and versatile overall.

Round 4A. C Drake Jackson. Center is a huge need. Jackson is a little small, but graded out very well and did it in the SEC. According to reports, he smart, mobile enough for screens, and only gave up one sack in his college career. Going with more mobile lineman in this draft.

Round 4B ) TE Tommy Tremble. The best run blocking Tight end in the draft and a player with surprising speed. Suddenly the Steelers could have good edge blocking with him and Claypool. Ebron is expensive on the cap. IMO this guy's a Steeler.

Round 6A) P Max Duffy. Although Berry had a good season, I don't trust him. Duffy would upgrade the Steelers, He forced a high amount of fair catches ( 18 out of 42 last year ) , was never blocked in three years, and averaged 46 yards a kick over three years. Had just 1 touchback last year, and 11 kicks over 50 yards. So he can kick you out of trouble, limit returns, has a quick get off, and can pin them deep without touchbacks. Plus he'll be cheap on the cap. A lot to like

Round 6B ) S Damar Hamlin. A SS type who tackles well has long arms and good height. Hamlin makes his share of plays on the ball as he had 6 int's and 21 PD's at Pitt. Not the fastest, but I think his height, long arms and ball skills off set a 4.55-4.6 speed. Our depth at safety is awful.

Round 7A ) Projected comp pick CB Ambry Thomas. Thomas gets his hands on some interceptions. We need the next William Gay.

Round 7B ) ILB Derrick Barnes. Has his share of sacks, has been an asset vs the pass. Around the ball.
    Mix feelings on this mock... Love it and Hate it same time.

I can see how it could work, we go via FA for a C which I think is a must regardless if we draft a center.
    We resign Sutton, Alualu , Marsch (depth), keep either one of the 2 VW or Williamson.

The idea of drafting Jones to me, is like a picking up a hot chick in a bar, and then spend the night with that babe who. It makes me excited, nervous, wanting it, drooling over it, wowing over it, and never know it might be the real thing or might wake up thinking WTF did I just do.

Radunz to me is like Eichenburgh, in other years they would be 1st round LT. I am also trending to take that wild card 1st round pick, a position not for need but for BOOM, and take a good tackle later.

Williams just fits with us, I honestly don't think he will make it to us in the 3rd.
    Last edited by steeler_george; 02-17-2021 at 02:40 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

2021 NFL Draft Player Profiles: Alabama QB Mac Jones

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/02/20...-qb-mac-jones/
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    Mix feelings on this mock... Love it and Hate it same time.

I can see how it could work, we go via FA for a C which I think is a must regardless if we draft a center.
    We resign Sutton, Alualu , Marsch (depth), keep either one of the 2 VW or Williamson.

The idea of drafting Jones to me, is like a picking up a hot chick in a bar, and then spend the night with that babe who. It makes me excited, nervous, wanting it, drooling over it, wowing over it, and never know it might be the real thing or might wake up thinking WTF did I just do.

Radunz to me is like Eichenburgh, in other years they would be 1st round LT. I am also trending to take that wild card 1st round pick, a position not for need but for BOOM, and take a good tackle later.

Williams just fits with us, I honestly don't think he will make it to us in the 3rd.

I'd say selecting Jones is like picking up a girl you family is friends with, or at a party where you have plenty of friends in common. To me he's a safe pick. And a battle tested one in the SEC and Bowl games.

Colbert recently spoke out against Ben, and he seldom does that. See the internet quote today. We need a QB, and he or Trask are the top QB's most likely on the board for us in round one. Note the comments that he lacks an arm, or he's too slow and easy to sack have diapered. Both are BS. I know what I saw and neither are true. You can't fake that type of production, accuracy, or decision making. And the Arm is pretty good. He stood out like a man among boys during the senior bowl. I do not like to compare prospects to well known football players, but I see a Tom Brady like skills.

Not that every QB selected in round one will pan out , but to use your analogy, its either him, or marry Rudy or Haskins. A big no thank you to Rudy and Haskins.

Those who lack an arm or just have an okay arm have their receivers waiting for a floating deep ball or have DB's jump the pass route in the intermediary areas. . That almost never happen in his case, and SEC DB's and senior bowl coverage people are as good as it gets in college. While I don't have character reports, or a " wonderlic IQ score ", I can tell you he interviews very well, and has a high GPA ( 4.0 ) and impressed the heck out of the scouts with the playbook and his leadership at Mobile doing Senior bowl week.

I could mock Humphrey for us in round two, but I try to be realistic. He's not lasting that long. I picked the best of the back likely to be there for us in round three.

On round 4-7 I picked more needs and secondary needs, ho could very well nend up playing larger roles as we are going to be losing a ton of players to retirement and free agency.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. Art Rooney II, get a new head coach.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

joel your making a good case for him...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    2021 NFL Draft Player Profiles: Alabama QB Mac Jones

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/02/20...-qb-mac-jones/

I read it. Mr. Korza is a kid, maybe in his low 20's. What does anyone really know at that age? He's a good writer. Moving on from that, here's what I agree / disagree with.

Good hand size especially relative to frame (9 3/4 inches) . Yes. And that hand size is better than good if you follow the scouting of QB's.
    – Rhythmic, on-time pocket passer with great anticipation, accuracy, and placement. Yes.
    – Puts ball on target, allows for RAC (run-after-catch) plays, overall throws a very catchable ball. Yes
    – Able to make throws into tight windows, knows when to be aggressive and when to take checkdown. Yes
    – Very quick, compact release. Yes
    – Strong pocket presence, feels the rush well, able to hitch and climb and slide to by himself enough time. Yes.
    – Handles pressure well, stands tall with rush coming . Yes.
    – Good arm able to make all throws, including passes from far hash, doesn’t have a cannon but won’t be limited schematically. Yes
    – Shows touch and placement on downfield throws. Yes
    – Proper base and mechanics as a passer overall. Yes
    – Strong situational player, succeeded on third down, two-minute, red zone. Yes and this is very important for ANY QB.
    – Great production overall, put up monster numbers and took care of the football (1.3% INT rate). Yes.
    – Asked to work under center, out of pistol, shotgun, ran relatively pro-style offense. Yes
    – Doesn’t have a ton of starting experience but gives him more room to grow, more refined player than you’d expect for one-year starter. Yes, but I'd say he proved it again the best so what are the questions?
    – Played against elite competition, battle-tested and rose to occasion. Yes
    – Winner, national champion, team captain. >>> Yes. and you left out some good stuff such as smart, excellent character, and humble.

The Bad

– Average to slight build. >>> Since when is 6'2"1/2, closer to 6'3 and 215 pounds undersized? He will put on some weight as he ages.

– Can get passes batted by DL due to below average height. >>> Really? How many did he have? I didn't any in the bowl games or when I was watching , but I'm sure he had 1 or 2. Data please, and no 6'3" is not below average height for a QB. I'd like to know how many were batted. Anyone know.

– Does not have top shelf arm, throws 50+ yards can be underthrown, most comfortable in the 45-50 range unless given absolutely clean pocket.>>> So you are taking 5 yard here? 45 yards is a lot. 50+ yard throws are rare in the NFL. He's not going to roll left and drill it right 50 yards, but most can't. He is a gifted speed passer with on the money accuracy who hits his men in stride. including the deep ball. The Deep ball is a mis-understood throw, and really should be released a split second after separation occurs. Jones see that see it and get it there. Ben for example waits for it a tick too long to throw it, and either over throws or under throws it too often.

– Occasional inconsistency with accuracy, tendency to miss high when he’s off-target >>> BS comment. 77% of this throws are complete, in the SEC a record. Sure everyone misses now and then. The works inconsistency with accuracy apply here less than any QB I've seen.

– Average to below average mobility, can extend plays/scramble but not an open field threat, defenses won’t have to gameplan for his legs >>>Okay I'll give him this, but when you know who's open, and get it there accurately with top release, what does a 4.8 40 really mean?

– Want to see more consistency with center/quarterback exchange, couple miscues in games watched. >>>His Center was often hurting. Only 2 fumbles last year, probably when getting hit with just one lost.

– Questions/concerns about verbal cadence, lot of gestures and clapping at the line >>>Here where a 22 year old writer is talking. They are part of the game, hand signals and verbal que's' to what's going on. College players need them.

– Surrounded by great talent and weapons >>> Yes, but his production with them is unquestioned and at the senior bowl, none of this mattered throwing to average weapons.

– Not a ton of starting experience, one-year as full-time starter >>> Opposite view. He showed everything possible in one year with Max pressure on him. And did it vs the best competition around.

Bio

– 17-game starter for Crimson Tide
    – Career: 413/556 (74.3%) 6126 yards (11.0 YPA) 56 TDs, 7 INTs
    – 2020: 311/402 (77.4%) 4500 yards (11.2 YPA) 41 TDs, 4 INTs
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 02-17-2021 at 04:56 PM.

Banned

User Info Menu

Joel, are you going to revise your mock if management makes a significant move in free agency?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    joel your making a good case for him...
    I like TJ Watt in round one just as much before the draft process if that means anything. Only Nick Saban or a former NFL QB who's knows what he's talking about can change my mind here.

I just my own eyes. While I can be wrong, I don't think so in this case. Thanks.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    I read it. Mr. Korza is a kid, maybe in his low 20's. What does anyone really know at that age? He's a good writer.
    I believe Alex is in his upper 20s, low 30s.

and yes, he's a good writer.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I believe Alex is in his upper 20s, low 30s.

and yes, he's a good writer.
    I dunno, these Generation Z people are different cats. I recall him saying he lived with his parents not too long ago I think he's very young, in his lower 20's. He could be 30. Does anyone know? Either way he's a writer first, a cheer leader type second and football guy 3rd in my book. I like his updates from camp.