Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting to know 2021 Steelers draft prospect Creed Humphrey

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Getting to know 2021 Steelers draft prospect Creed Humphrey

Hey gang. As many of you know this is the time of year I go from observing to posting. I usually will take a behind the scenes look at a bunch of guys that should be on the Steelers radar (although admittedly not as many as I used to when I was hitting up the Senior Bowl and Combine every year). This thread will look at OU-C-Creed Humphrey

Pros

*top level NFL playing strength
    *zero sacks allowed in past 2 seasons
    *very high football IQ
    *Elite get off the snap
    *footwork and balance are always in lockstep
    *elite knee bend, anchor and pad level
    *strong hands to jolt defender back on heels
    * 2% blown run block rate
    *1% blown pass block rate
    *Compact fire hydrant frame
    *wrestling background (translates to NFL success)
    *Dominant Senior Bowl week
    *reach blocks are textbook

Cons

*average athleticism
    *getting to the second level is not his strength
    *short arms

NFL Pro Player Comp- Nick Mangold
    Draft Day Range- picks 18-50
    Teams competing to draft him- Dolphins/Ravens/Chiefs/Rams/Chargers
    2021 Draft- Would love to drop down 7-10 picks and grab an extra 3rd and then use that 3rd to move up in the 2nd.

1/??) Asante Samuel-CB-FSU
    2/??) Creed Humphrey-C-OU
    3/87) Trey Sermon-RB-OSU
    4/128- Josh Kaindoh-Edge-FSU
    4/140) Stone Forsythe-OT-Florida
    6/216) Tre McKitty-TE-UGA
    7/245) Quinton Bohanna-DT-UK
    7/254) Tariq Thompson-S-SDSU

2022 Re-sign Minkah and Watt. Grab a stud LT and ILB in FA. Trade up for a QB

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm starting to see him go late first/early second round in mock drafts now.
    1.24 Najee Harris RB Alabama / Travis Etienne RB Clemson
    2.55 Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma / Landon Dickerson C Alabama / Quinn Meinerz C Wisconsin-Whitewater
    3.87 Spencer Brown OT N Iowa / James Hudson OT Cincinnati / Stone Forsythe OT Florida
    4.128 Robert Rochell CB Central Arkansas / Kary Vincent Jr CB LSU
    4.140 Patrick Jones II OLB Pitt
    6.216 Tre' McKitty TE Georgia

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I'm starting to see him go late first/early second round in mock drafts now.

We might need to either trade up in the 2nd or trade back in the first to get an extra 2nd higher than ours.. I'd prefer the latter. Trade 1/24 for a very early (top 5) 2nd and 3rd round picks.
    Last edited by steelerkeylargo; 02-15-2021 at 08:51 PM.
    2021 Draft- Would love to drop down 7-10 picks and grab an extra 3rd and then use that 3rd to move up in the 2nd.

3/87) Trey Sermon-RB-OSU

Legend

User Info Menu

I like this guy. Seems like a warrior
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Legend

User Info Menu

Would love to see us draft this guy...and move Feiler back out to tackle.. start Dotson at guard and then let chucks, banner, etc compete for the other tackle spot

Starter

User Info Menu

Creed Humphrey did very well at the senior bowl and has the type or raw power to root out defensive lineman and knock them backwards. A power house. To me he's your classic right guard that opens holes best paired with a one cut power back, who when he runs behind Humphrey should be able to pass the line of scrimmage before contact. Why burden a man with this power with a snap before he makes contact? Yes--he can play center too. But centers don't mean as much in the ground game, and we like the types who cal pull. I was impressed with what I saw.

If Alabama's QB and RB is off the board, I'm okay with Humphrey, preferably by trading down a few slots. I tend to think the power running game is making a comeback of sorts as defenses are fielding pass rushers more so than run stoppers. The Steelers scout guard and center very well, or at least they used to with Faneca , Pouncey, and DeCastro being worth a 1st round pick. I don't think Creed Humphrey is that good, as he has movement issues and shorter arms, but he's clearly good. A high floor player, who could really shine in a power blocking system.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 02-16-2021 at 07:43 AM.
    Realistic rebuild mock draft 3-29-2021.Plan to spend $110,094,402 in cap space in 2022 and have 4 comp picks + what we have in the 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

1) RB Najee Harris - A 3 down back, makes em; miss, runs then over, Gets outside, blocks like a top FB
    2 ) LT Dillon Radunz
    3 ) CB Paulson Adebo -
    4a ) C Drake Jackson-
    4b ) TE Tommy Temble
    6) G / C Cole Van Lanen -
    7a ) S Darmr Hamln -
    7b ) ILB Erroll Thompson

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

He's on my board. I think we have to go C/ OT in the first 2 rounds, depending on BPA when we draft. If we don't solidify the O-line nothing else is going to much matter.

We can get a guard in round 4 or so. We saw that with Dotson.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    He's on my board. I think we have to go C/ OT in the first 2 rounds, depending on BPA when we draft. If we don't solidify the O-line nothing else is going to much matter.

We can get a guard in round 4 or so. We saw that with Dotson.
    That's just it. You can get a starting guard outside of round one. You can find one in round 3-7! See Dotson ( round 4 ) , or Ramon Foster ( Who was a rookie free agent ). Starting guards do not have to be great. But when you have an iffy or suspect QB, that position is much harder to fill and typically needs a first round pick.

Looking at our projected 2022 comp picks, I'd rather use one of them to fill an OL spot and go QB now if the right guy is on the board.

One draft, even a very good one is not going to net you a staring QB, RB, G, T and C. That's highly unlikely. Get you QB and RB this draft and two OL players, and hope you hit on the early picks.
    Realistic rebuild mock draft 3-29-2021.Plan to spend $110,094,402 in cap space in 2022 and have 4 comp picks + what we have in the 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

1) RB Najee Harris - A 3 down back, makes em; miss, runs then over, Gets outside, blocks like a top FB
    2 ) LT Dillon Radunz
    3 ) CB Paulson Adebo -
    4a ) C Drake Jackson-
    4b ) TE Tommy Temble
    6) G / C Cole Van Lanen -
    7a ) S Darmr Hamln -
    7b ) ILB Erroll Thompson

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    .... I tend to think the power running game is making a comeback of sorts as defenses are fielding pass rushers more so than run stoppers. .....
    I was having the same thoughts but then watching TEN fail badly against BAL (50 yds rushing?!) in the playoffs had me rethinking.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Creed Humphrey did very well at the senior bowl and has the type or raw power to root out defensive lineman and knock them backwards. A power house. To me he's your classic right guard that opens holes best paired with a one cut power back, who when he runs behind Humphrey should be able to pass the line of scrimmage before contact. Why burden a man with this power with a snap before he makes contact? Yes--he can play center too. But centers don't mean as much in the ground game, and we like the types who cal pull. I was impressed with what I saw.

If Alabama's QB and RB is off the board, I'm okay with Humphrey, preferably by trading down a few slots. I tend to think the power running game is making a comeback of sorts as defenses are fielding pass rushers more so than run stoppers. The Steelers scout guard and center very well, or at least they used to with Faneca , Pouncey, and DeCastro being worth a 1st round pick. I don't think Creed Humphrey is that good, as he has movement issues and shorter arms, but he's clearly good. A high floor player, who could really shine in a power blocking system.
    Yes, he can play center too? That's a good one. All Creed Humphrey has ever done is play Center. ESPN literally did a feature called Creed Humphrey "Born to play center". While he could play Guard he is probably the most natural fit at C in the past 20 years. His lack of athleticism is best suited in the "phone booth" at Center. He will live there for a dozen years and make multiple Pro Bowls.
    Last edited by steelerkeylargo; 02-16-2021 at 03:35 PM.

3/87) Trey Sermon-RB-OSU