Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Steelers Face Another Decision

  1. #1
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Steelers Face Another Decision

    Kinda got lost with all the draft talk, but the Steelers have to make decisions on the option year for their two safeties. Here's the rub though. The rule changes make this a little tougher. First, the option is now fully guaranteed against injury. Second, the player can escalate the value of the option based on their play. a) selection to one or more pro bowls, or b) % of snaps played in first 3 seasons.

    Both of these will impact the options for Fitz and Edmunds. Fitz will get franchise tag money for his position due to multiple pro bowls. Edmunds has played a ton of snaps for the Steelers.

    Here's what PFF has to say on the two:

    PICK NO. 11: MINKAH FITZPATRICK, MIAMI DOLPHINS
    PFF grades, 2018-20: 82.0 overall grade (16/144); 83.3 coverage grade (24/144)

    Miami’s decision to tank in 2019 is already looking like pure genius, but one move they’d maybe like to have back was trading away Minkah Fitzpatrick to the Steelers. Fitzpatrick didn’t appreciate how he was being deployed within the Dolphins’ defense, but that is clearly no longer an issue in Pittsburgh. This should be a pretty easy decision for the Steelers to make for one of the NFL’s best young safeties.

    Prediction: Exercise

    PICK NO. 28: TERRELL EDMUNDS, PITTSBURGH STEELERS
    PFF grades, 2018-20: 65.3 overall grade (78/144); 64.0 coverage grade (83/144)

    Another decision at safety for the Steelers, Edmunds has been a solid complement to Minkah Fitzpatrick. Edmunds excels down near the line of scrimmage and in covering tight ends, which enables Fitzpatrick to be a ballhawk and create turnovers while roaming free on the back end.

    Prediction: Exercise


    ​What say you?

  2. #2
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Kinda got lost with all the draft talk, but the Steelers have to make decisions on the option year for their two safeties. Here's the rub though. The rule changes make this a little tougher. First, the option is now fully guaranteed against injury. Second, the player can escalate the value of the option based on their play. a) selection to one or more pro bowls, or b) % of snaps played in first 3 seasons.

    Both of these will impact the options for Fitz and Edmunds. Fitz will get franchise tag money for his position due to multiple pro bowls. Edmunds has played a ton of snaps for the Steelers.

    Here's what PFF has to say on the two:

    PICK NO. 11: MINKAH FITZPATRICK, MIAMI DOLPHINS
    PFF grades, 2018-20: 82.0 overall grade (16/144); 83.3 coverage grade (24/144)

    Miami’s decision to tank in 2019 is already looking like pure genius, but one move they’d maybe like to have back was trading away Minkah Fitzpatrick to the Steelers. Fitzpatrick didn’t appreciate how he was being deployed within the Dolphins’ defense, but that is clearly no longer an issue in Pittsburgh. This should be a pretty easy decision for the Steelers to make for one of the NFL’s best young safeties.

    Prediction: Exercise

    PICK NO. 28: TERRELL EDMUNDS, PITTSBURGH STEELERS
    PFF grades, 2018-20: 65.3 overall grade (78/144); 64.0 coverage grade (83/144)

    Another decision at safety for the Steelers, Edmunds has been a solid complement to Minkah Fitzpatrick. Edmunds excels down near the line of scrimmage and in covering tight ends, which enables Fitzpatrick to be a ballhawk and create turnovers while roaming free on the back end.

    Prediction: Exercise


    ​What say you?
    I think I'd rather try to get a long term deal with Minkah than the franchise money all as a one year hit.

    My guess is that's part of the point of the new rules. To incentives longer term deals over 1 year ones.

    I think we exercise Edmunds. Solid player and gives us time to see if he gets better and / or look for a replacement.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 02-11-2021 at 09:30 AM.

  3. #3
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    We have to keep Fitz. He and Watt are the cornerstones of our defense. If it costs a max so be it.

    Edmunds to me is a bit of a disappointment. I'd like to retain him for cheap. No bidding wards for Edmunds, who has it easy playing next to Fitz, and having our pass rush, helping him out. On another team, Edmunds would be exposed more often.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 02-11-2021 at 09:26 AM.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

  4. #4
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Also thought it would be worth leaving this link here:
    https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000503576171

    The first half of this podcast talks about how 5th year options have changed (first 6 minutes or so). He then talks about specific players including Fitz as maybe the biggest winner under the new system (@ 9:45ish). Says Minkah probably earns an extra $4M - $5M due to the new rules.

    And how TJ Watt was a loser in this because he was the last year before the big change (which would have made him big bucks).

    The second half of the episode also talks about contract options for Ben and Baker Mayfield.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 02-11-2021 at 09:35 AM.

  5. #5
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    We need to find a way to keep both. Some may not like Edmunds but he is a solid player. Also, Minkah isn’t the best tackler.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  6. #6
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Need to keep both...

    Off topic, thinking outside the box, with the current trend of the NFL, could Edmunds be forced into more of a S-ILB hybrid ( they tried this with M. Allen), play closer to the box, cover RB and TEs? And us adding another S ( or use Hilton) to pair with Fitz?


  7. #7
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    Need to keep both...

    Off topic, thinking outside the box, with the current trend of the NFL, could Edmunds be forced into more of a S-ILB hybrid ( they tried this with M. Allen), play closer to the box, cover RB and TEs? And us adding another S ( or use Hilton) to pair with Fitz?
    I think this is an interesting idea. His brother is an ILB after all (for some reason I thought they were twins).

    But if we were going to do this, I would have thought we'd have done it after Spillane went down.

  8. #8
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    Need to keep both...

    Off topic, thinking outside the box, with the current trend of the NFL, could Edmunds be forced into more of a S-ILB hybrid ( they tried this with M. Allen), play closer to the box, cover RB and TEs? And us adding another S ( or use Hilton) to pair with Fitz?
    Way too light in my opinion. He might weigh 215 stepping out of a shower. His brother is 250 lbs, big diff. Allen is at the same weight as Terrell and pretty much was a fail when facing linemen.

    And btw, Edmunds arguably had his best season this year. I know that is not saying a lot but directionally he is moving the right way.

  9. #9
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    We have to keep Fitz. He and Watt are the cornerstones of our defense. If it costs a max so be it.

    Edmunds to me is a bit of a disappointment. I'd like to retain him for cheap. No bidding wards for Edmunds, who has it easy playing next to Fitz, and having our pass rush, helping him out. On another team, Edmunds would be exposed more often.
    Factor in what we gave to get Fitz too. No way we can let him go. Edmunds can walk. He can be replaced if need be.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

    Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2021 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

  10. #10
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    Need to keep both...
    I'm sure we will, at least for another two years.
    Only a true coward puts someone on ignore on a message board.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •