Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should the Steelers move David DeCastro to Center?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Should the Steelers move David DeCastro to Center?

If Pouncey does indeed retire (please lord), would the Steelers consider a switch to Center. A position change could breathe life into his career like it did for Jeff Hartings when the Steelers moved him from RG to C. Center can be an easier position to play as the Guard position has a lot more movement involved.

Most probably don't know this but DeCastro was the starting Center for his HS team. Leading them to multiple state championships. This would also allow them more flexibility if they wanted to retain Feiler (cheaper than a OT) and also start Dotson.
    2022 Re-sign Minkah and Watt. Grab a stud LT and ILB in FA (we will have a boatload of cap room). Trade up for a QB

Legend

User Info Menu

Wow...that is a truly innovative idea that I never considered. Definitely a thought provoking idea
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Legend

User Info Menu

depends. if there's a plug and play center in one of the rounds we draft then leave DD in a position he's more familiar with.
    if we go without a ready to play center to replace pouncey, and our 5 best OL include DD and 2 other guards, then yes give it a try

Legend

User Info Menu

My guess is that it's not a trivial move to make that late in a career.

Are there examples of guys that have done that?

Legend

User Info Menu

Undecided on this one. There were plays that DeCastro looked blown up on in the run game this year. I know he can't win every snap. And it's hard to tell if it was because defenses figured out Fichtner's HS offense or if something else was going on with him this season. Maybe he had to help Okafor out more? DeCastro is only fourth on my list of OL changes so it's not a dire thing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    My guess is that it's not a trivial move to make that late in a career.

Are there examples of guys that have done that?

hartings

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post

hartings
    Great point.

I'd forgotten that he moved from G to C. Made the transition at age 29. Decastro is currently 31. So maybe it's possible.

I think the biggest question with DD is whether he regressed this year or whether he was hurt.

Not an OL scout or anything, but it didn't look like he was successful against the run.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Great point.

not by me

largo mentioned him in the original post

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

My vote would be no. We should be able to draft Pouncey’s replacement in Round 1 or 2. Good quality available this draft for O-line.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

DD has not played Center for ages, and whatever blocking power he had left would be a tick slower to engage at Center. Hard no from me, as Guard is more impactful blocking for the run.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.