Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting to know 2021 Steelers draft prospect Trey Sermon with SKL

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Getting to know 2021 Steelers draft prospect Trey Sermon with SKL

Hey gang. As many of you know this is the time of year I go from observing to posting. I usually will take a behind the scenes look at a bunch of guys that should be on the Steelers radar (although admittedly not as many as I used to when I was hitting up the Senior Bowl and Combine every year). This thread will look at Ohio St/Oklahoma-RB-Trey Sermon

Pros

*elite vision
    *runs through contact
    *straight ahead north south runner who keeps feet churning
    *willing blocker
    *natural ankle bender with great cutting ability
    *enough burst to gain the edge
    *natural wiggle in the hips can juke defenders
    *3 down back
    *6'0" 215

Cons

*ACL injury as a junior
    *can get upright at times
    *running style has a propensity to lead to a flailing arm running style in the open field which can create a larger target than necessary
    *lacks elite long speed
    *good hands but not a natural receiver
    *not an elite athlete

NFL Pro player Comp= Miles Sanders
    Draft Range- picks 65-100
    Teams who will be competing to draft him= nearly everyone
    2022 Re-sign Minkah and Watt. Grab a stud LT and ILB in FA (we will have a boatload of cap room). Trade up for a QB

Legend

User Info Menu

Thanks for these posts good insight

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Once Master Teague got hurt, Sermon took over in a major way. Huge games in the Big 10 Championship and the Sugar Bowl. Bummer he got hurt on his first carry in the National Championship.

He lacks big time speed but he’s a punishing rusher. I’d love to have him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    Hey gang. As many of you know this is the time of year I go from observing to posting. I usually will take a behind the scenes look at a bunch of guys that should be on the Steelers radar (although admittedly not as many as I used to when I was hitting up the Senior Bowl and Combine every year). This thread will look at Ohio St/Oklahoma-RB-Trey Sermon

Pros

*elite vision
    *runs through contact
    *straight ahead north south runner who keeps feet churning
    *willing blocker
    *natural ankle bender with great cutting ability
    *enough burst to gain the edge
    *natural wiggle in the hips can juke defenders
    *3 down back
    *6'0" 215

Cons

*ACL injury as a junior
    *can get upright at times
    *running style has a propensity to lead to a flailing arm running style in the open field which can create a larger target than necessary
    *lacks elite long speed
    *good hands but not a natural receiver
    *not an elite athlete

NFL Pro player Comp= Miles Sanders
    Draft Range- picks 65-100
    Teams who will be competing to draft him= nearly everyone
    SKL-you are the best. Must be a Florida thing
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

On Sermon if he's the back we pick, I will be a tad disappointed. He really did not catch the ball often, so you can pick between scheme or he just wasn't enough of a weapon to do it more often. Probably not the ideal 3 down back. He did not sore much at OSU, or two years at Oklahoma, so he's probably not the ideal red zone guy either.

I do not think he's fast either. More of a 4.60-4.65 type of 40 guy, and he not a true power runner either. More like a good jack of all trades type, but to be featured I think you need to be a master at something. He's doesn't seem very durable either, nor was he a workhose in college. Better than Conner, maybe so, and he'll be cheaper.

I want to pick a back in the first three rounds. Semron looks like more of a round 4-5 guy.

Thanks to the OP for the write up.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/trey-sermon-nfl-draft-player-profile-ohio-state-running-back/

https://fansided.com/2021/01/17/ohio-state-football-trey-sermon-declares-nfl-draft/

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/trey-sermon-draft-projection-heading-into-2021-national-championship/
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would not be against picking Sermon up later in the draft if we find miss out on either Harris or Williams.
    ( Would love the idea RBBC featuring Sermon, and "Gibson-type" RB like Gainswell, Carter, or Felton who can play the slot, jet sweeps, etc. our version of "Hunt" )

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    On Sermon if he's the back we pick, I will be a tad disappointed. He really did not catch the ball often, so you can pick between scheme or he just wasn't enough of a weapon to do it more often. Probably not the ideal 3 down back. He did not sore much at OSU, or two years at Oklahoma, so he's probably not the ideal red zone guy either.

I do not think he's fast either. More of a 4.60-4.65 type of 40 guy, and he not a true power runner either. More like a good jack of all trades type, but to be featured I think you need to be a master at something. He's doesn't seem very durable either, nor was he a workhose in college. Better than Conner, maybe so, and he'll be cheaper.

I want to pick a back in the first three rounds. Semron looks like more of a round 4-5 guy.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/trey-sermon-nfl-draft-player-profile-ohio-state-running-back/

https://fansided.com/2021/01/17/ohio-state-football-trey-sermon-declares-nfl-draft/

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/trey-sermon-draft-projection-heading-into-2021-national-championship/
    With a couple of trade backs from the 24th pick, we could have 4 or more picks in the 3rd round.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post

It isn't possible to measure a player by their stat totals or watch a player leave in the opening drive of the Natty and call him not durable. You really need to watch the p;layer through his career and the entire body of work.

To say he didn't catch the ball much would be accurate. When you have guys like Marquise Brown, Cee Dee Lamb and Dede Westbrook those guys kinda handle that.

To say he isn't a 3 down back would insinuate he doesn't block. If you ever watched him at OU you would know that he was by far the best blocking RB and would dominate the 3rd down passing downs.

To say he isn't fast is fair. As I said he doesn't have long speed. However even after his ACL he consistently showed enough busrt to rip off chunk yardage plays.

To say he isn't durable is false. Other than a fluke broken bone in his hand vs. Alabama his only injury of significance was the ACL as a junior. Half the studs in the league have an ACL on their resume.

Looking at his stats

As a freshman he was immediately the no. 2 back behind 1,000 yard rusher Rodney Anderson, running for 744 yards and a 6.1 ypc

As a sophmore he split time with Kennedy Brooks (after Anderson himself tore his ACL) who ran for over 1k and Sermon ran for 947/13tds/5,8 ypc

When Sermon tore his ACL as a Junior he was averaging a career best 7.1 ypc

As a Senior at OSU once healthy he dominated Big 10 competition with 870 yards in 8 games and a 7.5 ypc

As far as never being a bell cow feature, that's just the way OU does business, Whether Stoops or Reilly there is always a plethora of backs in the system. You would have to go back to Adrian Peterson as a true freshman to see the last time 1 back had the lions share of the carries.

Trey Sermon will be an NFL starting RB. I dont think he will be available to us in rd 4 at our current pick. Would need to take him at 3. This is a good year to be in the RB market. A starter will be available in the 3rd.
    2022 Re-sign Minkah and Watt. Grab a stud LT and ILB in FA (we will have a boatload of cap room). Trade up for a QB

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    I dont think he will be available to us in rd 4 at our current pick. Would need to take him at 3. This is a good year to be in the RB market. A starter will be available in the 3rd.
    Is he even going to be there at our 3rd round pick...?

It seems like the past few years, we kept on getting burnt waiting to draft a back.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

SKL,
    Thanks for these write-ups
    Quite informative