Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47

Thread: Getting to know 2021 Steelers draft prospect Teven Jenkins with SKL

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Getting to know 2021 Steelers draft prospect Teven Jenkins with SKL

    Hey gang. As many of you know this is the time of year I go from observing to posting. I usually will take a behind the scenes look at a bunch of guys that should be on the Steelers radar (although admittedly not as many as I used to when I was hitting up the Senior Bowl and Combine every year). Anyway lets start off with my current choice as the Steelers 1st round pick. Oklahoma St OT Teven Jenkins

    Pros

    *starting OT NFL size at 6'6" 325 lbs
    *absolute beast in the running game and rated as one of PFF's top OT's in the run
    *Quick first step and nasty finisher
    *plays to the whistle with a nasty mean streak
    *elite playing strength
    *4 position versatility
    *only allowed 2 sacks in 3 years, none in the last 2 years
    *watch his Texas tape vs Joseph Ossai (potential 1st round pick)
    *Oklahoma St. play style and offense will be appealing to Canada and Klemm

    Cons

    *feet can get choppy at times as he knows he can dominate most opponents physically
    *needs to work on his reset vs. inside moves
    *minor back issue

    NFL Pro Player Comp-Taylor Lewan
    Draft Range- picks 20-35
    Teams who will be competing to draft him- Chargers/Vikings/Cardinals/Bears/Colts
    Last edited by steelerkeylargo; 02-05-2021 at 08:49 PM.
    2021 Draft- Would love to drop down 7-10 picks and grab an extra 3rd and then use that 3rd to move up in the 2nd.

    1/??) Creed Humphrey-C-OU
    2/??) Asante Samuel-CB-FSU
    3/87) Trey Sermon-RB-OSU
    4/128- Josh Kaindoh-Edge-FSU
    4/140) Stone Forsythe-OT-Florida
    6/216) Tre Norwood-S-OU
    7/245) Quinton Morris-TE-Bowling Green
    7/254) Derrick Barnes-ILB-Purdue

    2022 Re-sign Minkah and Watt. Grab a stud LT and ILB in FA. Trade up for a QB





  2. #2
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    I keep hearing-reading good things about him...

    You sure like your Oklahoma boys...


  3. #3
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Compared to Taylor Lewan a 3x pro bowl player? That is saying a lot. How are his feet, and can he play LT in the NFL? I guess we'll see when he works out, does his shuttle, and measures out.

    He started 3 games at LT....vs Big 12 defenses. He sounds like a safe Right Tackle pick. The question is if you have big time needs at QB and RB, do you take a Right Tackle over them both? I would not. This is a decent tackle draft. Good ones will be there after he's picked.
    Realistic rebuild mock draft 3-29-2021.Plan to spend $110,094,402 in cap space in 2022 and have 4 comp picks + what we have in the 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

    1) RB Najee Harris - A 3 down back, makes em; miss, runs then over, Gets outside, blocks like a top FB
    2 ) LT Dillon Radunz
    3 ) CB Paulson Adebo -
    4a ) C Drake Jackson-
    4b ) TE Tommy Temble
    6) G / C Cole Van Lanen -
    7a ) S Darmr Hamln -
    7b ) ILB Erroll Thompson

  4. #4
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Compared to Taylor Lewan a 3x pro bowl player? That is saying a lot. How are his feet, and can he play LT in the NFL? I guess we'll see when he works out, does his shuttle, and measures out.

    He started 3 games at LT....vs Big 12 defenses. He sounds like a safe Right Tackle pick. The question is if you have big time needs at QB and RB, do you take a Right Tackle over them both? I would not. This is a decent tackle draft. Good ones will be there after he's picked.
    That's how pro player Comp's work. You comp them to someone who plays a similar style of football. Again the comment of against big 12 defenses is irrelevant. Trent Williams no. 1 graded OT in NFL last year, Lane Johnson (3x pro bowl), Orlando Brown (2x pro bowl).

    As far as the QB/RB. I would definitely take Mac Jones or Trey Lance at 24 if that somehow ere to shake out. Unlikely though. There will be plenty of RB talent in rounds 2-3. Zero need for a RB at 24.
    2021 Draft- Would love to drop down 7-10 picks and grab an extra 3rd and then use that 3rd to move up in the 2nd.

    1/??) Creed Humphrey-C-OU
    2/??) Asante Samuel-CB-FSU
    3/87) Trey Sermon-RB-OSU
    4/128- Josh Kaindoh-Edge-FSU
    4/140) Stone Forsythe-OT-Florida
    6/216) Tre Norwood-S-OU
    7/245) Quinton Morris-TE-Bowling Green
    7/254) Derrick Barnes-ILB-Purdue

    2022 Re-sign Minkah and Watt. Grab a stud LT and ILB in FA. Trade up for a QB





  5. #5
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Thanks SKL. I saw him play a few full games and he looked really good. He’s got some nasty, too, which is what I like in an OT

  6. #6
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    That's how pro player Comp's work. You comp them to someone who plays a similar style of football. Again the comment of against big 12 defenses is irrelevant. Trent Williams no. 1 graded OT in NFL last year, Lane Johnson (3x pro bowl), Orlando Brown (2x pro bowl).

    As far as the QB/RB. I would definitely take Mac Jones or Trey Lance at 24 if that somehow ere to shake out. Unlikely though. There will be plenty of RB talent in rounds 2-3. Zero need for a RB at 24.
    No--playing vs Big 12 defenses is not same as the Big Ten, or SEC. He didn't play in the senior bowl. Who you prove it against matters and his coaches felt he was a Right Tackle. I count a grand total of 5 DL players in the NFL from the Big 12, and none of them are known guys The SEC has teams that have more than that and they are way better. My point, he didn't kick tail in the SEC.

    I really don't like comparing a college guy to a multiple pro bowl player. I know its done to describe a player, just the odds of a player being like that are pretty low, Lewan ( Picked 11th overall ) is 6'7" 300+ pounds and ran a 4.87 which is rare speed for a player this size.

    I betcha Jenkins doesn't come close to this number ( 40 ) and may struggle change of direction / agility drills some as the cone and shuttle. Check back in after the combine and we shall see.

    To say we don't need running backs @24 is something I do not agree with. While we have many needs, who's is our starter? James Conner and he is a free agent. Heck yes we could use a talent like Harris with the 24th pick. Snell might be the best we've got on the team. It's that thin and we came in 32nd running the ball.

    To use a Steeler example if Jenkins works out like I think he will, can run block a ton, and has some nasty, I'd compare him to Leon Searcy. A pretty good player, who made one pro bowl ( On the Jaguars ).

    I'm with you on Jones. Hard pass on Lance, as he's not close to ready.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 02-06-2021 at 10:10 PM.
    Realistic rebuild mock draft 3-29-2021.Plan to spend $110,094,402 in cap space in 2022 and have 4 comp picks + what we have in the 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

    1) RB Najee Harris - A 3 down back, makes em; miss, runs then over, Gets outside, blocks like a top FB
    2 ) LT Dillon Radunz
    3 ) CB Paulson Adebo -
    4a ) C Drake Jackson-
    4b ) TE Tommy Temble
    6) G / C Cole Van Lanen -
    7a ) S Darmr Hamln -
    7b ) ILB Erroll Thompson

  7. #7
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Would be happy seeing Jenkins added to our OL

  8. #8
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    In the latest two-round mock draft by Pro Football Network, they have the Steelers going offensive line with their first pick and addressing the tackle position before anything else. With Chukwuma Okorafor as the only tackle from the Steelers 53-man roster who is still under contract for 2021, the players the Steelers sign in free agency will determine how high the need for tackle will be come April. Since the Steelers could go in any number of directions with their first selection, it is important to look at all the possibilities presented by various mock draft outlets.

    Check out the Steelers 24th pick:

    24. Pittsburgh Steelers | Teven Jenkins | OT | Oklahoma State | SR |

    Being early in the draft process, there may be some players most fans are not familiar with. If this is the case, here is a breakdown of Jenkins according to thedraftnetwork.com:

    PROSPECT SUMMARY Ė TEVEN JENKINS

    Playing in 37 career games (35 starts) at Oklahoma State, Teven Jenkins experienced time at right guard, left tackle, and right tackle. With a bulk of his experience coming at right tackle, he blossomed during his final two seasons. Playing in the first eight games of the season, he elected to opt out after suffering what was reported as lower back issues. The 6-foot-6, 320-pound fifth-year senior offensive tackle is a top-heavy blocker that has experienced success in the teamís Air Raid offense. A quick setter thatís prone to take horizontal pass sets, heís created a habit of establishing quick wins by striking his hands and controlling defenders. As a run blocker, heís able to create considerable amounts of movement when able to gain momentum prior to engagement points. A well above average finisher, Jenkins is the type of offensive lineman that attempts to humiliate players in the opposite color jersey. The echo of the whistle doesnít slow down his process and he continues on with his process until he wants to conclude. Jenkinsí athleticism and lack of overall range may create questions about his potential at offensive tackle and there will be some teams who grade him as a guard as a result. Jenkins will have a strong chance of being the first offensive lineman drafted from the program since Russell Okung (2010).

    Ideal Role: Developmental offensive tackle that could eventually turn into a starter at tackle or guard.

    Scheme Fit: Man/Gap/Power.

    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...-teven-jenkins
    1.24 Najee Harris RB Alabama
    2.55 Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma
    3.87 Spencer Brown OT N Iowa
    4.128 Robert Rochell CB Central Arkansas
    4.140 Daelin Hayes OLB Notre Dame
    6.216 Divine Deablo S/ILB Va Teck
    7.245 Sadarius Hutcherson OG/OT South Carolina
    7.254 John Bates TE Boise St

  9. #9
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    I enjoy this time of the year, keep them coming SKL!
    Rara's 2021 Steelers mock draft #3
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1. Travis Etienne, RB; Clemson
    2. Josh Myers, C; Ohio State
    3. Tyson Campbell, CB; Georgia
    4a. James Hudson, OT; Cincinnati
    4b. Anthony Schwartz, WR; Auburn
    6a. K.J. Britt, ILB; Auburn
    6b. Tre Norwood, S; Oklahoma
    7a. Wyatt Hubert, EDGE; Kansas State
    7b. Tommy Kraemer, OG; Notre Dame

  10. #10
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    Hey gang. As many of you know this is the time of year I go from observing to posting. I usually will take a behind the scenes look at a bunch of guys that should be on the Steelers radar (although admittedly not as many as I used to when I was hitting up the Senior Bowl and Combine every year). Anyway lets start off with my current choice as the Steelers 1st round pick. Oklahoma St OT Teven Jenkins

    Pros

    *starting OT NFL size at 6'6" 325 lbs
    *absolute beast in the running game and rated as one of PFF's top OT's in the run
    *Quick first step and nasty finisher
    *plays to the whistle with a nasty mean streak
    *elite playing strength
    *4 position versatility
    *only allowed 2 sacks in 3 years, none in the last 2 years
    *watch his Texas tape vs Joseph Ossai (potential 1st round pick)
    *Oklahoma St. play style and offense will be appealing to Canada and Klemm

    Cons

    *feet can get choppy at times as he knows he can dominate most opponents physically
    *needs to work on his reset vs. inside moves
    *minor back issue

    NFL Pro Player Comp-Taylor Lewan
    Draft Range- picks 20-35
    Teams who will be competing to draft him- Chargers/Vikings/Cardinals/Bears/Colts
    Seems pretty impressive.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •