Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the Steelers really in the market for a quarterback in the first round?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    But I think the odds of us being able to trade up in round 1 to grab a franchise QB will always be pretty small.

Most teams in that position would draft that franchise QB for themselves.

Or, the price to move up will be massive and I think there will almost always be another team that's willing to out bid us (because we tend not to stupidly overpay for things).

I guess that the Fitz trade is an example where this wasn't true. But that trade was made in season and the Dolphins made a bet that we would be terrible without Ben. A trade up for a QB would happen on the draft floor and the team looking to move down would know everyone's draft position (for that year's picks anyway).
    let's say we go 8-8 this year.

the price to move up wouldn't be nearly as massive.

and we would have to move up in front of a team we suspected was interested in drafting a QB.
    1.24 Najee Harris RB Alabama / Travis Etienne RB Clemson
    2.55 Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma / Landon Dickerson C Alabama / Quinn Meinerz C Wisconsin-Whitewater
    3.87 Spencer Brown OT N Iowa / James Hudson OT Cincinnati / Stone Forsythe OT Florida
    4.128 Robert Rochell CB Central Arkansas / Kary Vincent Jr CB LSU
    4.140 Patrick Jones II OLB Pitt
    6.216 Tre' McKitty TE Georgia

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    let's say we go 8-8 this year.

the price to move up wouldn't be nearly as massive.

and we would have to move up in front of a team we suspected was interested in drafting a QB.
    But the team trying to trade with us would shop the pick to that team too. And there would be a bidding war.

Which is why I think the price would be very high to move up for a franchise QB.

And if we end up 8 - 8 with a team that's getting worse, I'd rather just try one of the young QBs we have (before their contracts expire), They probably fail. Then we're maybe a 6 win team or something and we're higher.

Which means that maybe we have our own pick to get a guy, or the price is lower to move up.

An 8 - 8 team is a failure next season because all it does is use up a prime year of guys like Watt and Fitz.

It also leads to either (i) a lower ranked QB than we'd have if we didn't play Ben, (ii) the same QB but we lose other assets, or (iii) we don't pick a QB and decide to tank the season after.

I don't think we'll be a truly competitive team next season. Although we basically weren't one of the best teams in the league the first year Ben won a SB, so anything is possible.

Starter

User Info Menu

Allow me to put on my Art Rooney II hat for the moment.

Pay Ben 26+ million at age 39 and in decline, and lose in the playoff if the team gets there OR pay a 1st or 2nd round pick a fraction of the salary, and reload elsewhere in free agency.

Let me think about that one for a moment...
    Realistic rebuild mock draft 3-29-2021.Plan to spend $110,094,402 in cap space in 2022 and have 4 comp picks + what we have in the 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

1) RB Najee Harris - A 3 down back, makes em; miss, runs then over, Gets outside, blocks like a top FB
    2 ) LT Dillon Radunz
    3 ) CB Paulson Adebo -
    4a ) C Drake Jackson-
    4b ) TE Tommy Temble
    6) G / C Cole Van Lanen -
    7a ) S Darmr Hamln -
    7b ) ILB Erroll Thompson

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Allow me to put on my Art Rooney II hat for the moment.

Pay Ben 26+ million at age 39 and in decline, and lose in the playoff if the team gets there OR pay a 1st or 2nd round pick a fraction of the salary, and reload elsewhere in free agency.

Let me think about that one for a moment...
    but don't the Steelers have to count $19+ million on the salary cap for this coming season even if Ben doesn't play?
    2.55 Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma / Landon Dickerson C Alabama / Quinn Meinerz C Wisconsin-Whitewater
    3.87 Spencer Brown OT N Iowa / James Hudson OT Cincinnati / Stone Forsythe OT Florida

Legend

User Info Menu

Factoidness

Part of the difficulty in analyzing North Dakota State quarterback Trey Lance:

He has played one football games in the last 414 days.

That game, maybe the worst of his college career, was a 39-28 home victory over Central Arkansas last Oct. 2. Lance and the Bison trailed in the fourth quarter, and he completed just 15 of 30 passes, with the first interception of his college career, and a lost fumble. (Central Arkansas went on to lose to Eastern Kentucky last season.)

I mention this because one NFL coach whose team is in the market for a quarterback this offseason told me the other day Lance scares him. Hes a guy we all needed to see more of, for a lot of reasons, this coach said. I wont be surprised if Lance is passed by Mac Jones in the first round come April.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ia-peter-king/

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    but don't the Steelers have to count $19+ million on the salary cap for this coming season even if Ben doesn't play?
    Yeah, but Ben is likely coming back for 26 , not 19 million. We have not seen any details yet. Who knows how much it could cost to cut him next year if extended.

Essentially if we don't win a playoff game bringing back Ben its a waste of time. My point a rookie 1st or 2nd round pick can play for a fraction of what Ben is making now and the Steelers need to move on.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 03-01-2021 at 07:29 AM.
    Realistic rebuild mock draft 3-29-2021.Plan to spend $110,094,402 in cap space in 2022 and have 4 comp picks + what we have in the 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

1) RB Najee Harris - A 3 down back, makes em; miss, runs then over, Gets outside, blocks like a top FB
    2 ) LT Dillon Radunz
    3 ) CB Paulson Adebo -
    4a ) C Drake Jackson-
    4b ) TE Tommy Temble
    6) G / C Cole Van Lanen -
    7a ) S Darmr Hamln -
    7b ) ILB Erroll Thompson

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah, but Ben is likely coming back for 26 , not 19 million. We have not seen any details yet. Who knows how much it could cost to cut him next year if extended.

Essentially if we don't win a playoff game bringing back Ben its a waste of time. My point a rookie 1st or 2nd round pick can play for a fraction of what Ben is making now and the Steelers need to move on.
    You think they'll give him new money that gets paid this year?

That would be absolutely crazy IMO.

I think he'll get the $19 in his contract, which I already think is a bad ideal.

I'll be very disappointed if he gets additional money this season.

Give him whatever he wants in future salary or roster bonuses past this season. He's not going to see any of that money (I hope). All it does is drive up the commission he has to pay his agent.

Legend

User Info Menu

Essentially if we don't win a playoff game bringing back Ben its a waste of time.
    Your right. But Rooney Jr. is not concerned about ceilings for this team. He’s concerned about getting enough wins to keep the majority of the base satisfied. 8 regular season wins will keep the majority of the fan base happy , keep the seats filled at the stadium and keep them buying gear. Just a business to him.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 03-01-2021 at 11:59 AM.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Your right. But Rooney Jr. is not concerned about ceilings for this team. He’s concerned about getting enough wins to keep the majority of the base satisfied. 8 regular season wins will keep the majority of thr fan base happy , keep the seats filled at the stadium and keep them buying gear. Just a business to him.
    How the hell would you know that?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    He’s concerned about getting enough wins to keep the majority of the base satisfied. 8 regular season wins will keep the majority of the fan base happy
    I've never heard a Steelers fan going into the season saying "I'd be happy with 8 wins this year".