Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the Steelers really in the market for a quarterback in the first round?

Legend

User Info Menu

Are the Steelers really in the market for a quarterback in the first round?

Are the Steelers really in the market for a quarterback in the first round?

Ed Bouchette of the athletic sparked at rumor which the Steelers may be looking to draft a quarterback early in the 2021 NFL Draft

By Michael_Beck
    Feb 3, 2021

Rumors surrounding the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback position will be constant until a few major questions are answered.

First, will Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers come to terms on a salary reducing extension?

Second, what are the Steelers plans to replace Ben Roethlisberger in the future.

Now it is possible for these questions to be answered as early as the conclusion of the 2021 NFL Draft. Itís also possible that one of these questions drags on into the 2022 offseason. However, Ed Bouchette of The Athletic suggests the former is definitely in play, and the Steelers may be eyeing a quarterback in the first round of the upcoming draft.

Now this isn't suggesting some Steelers insider told him the Steelers would 100% be drafting a quarterback in the first round of the 2021 draft, but more of an opinion considering the current state of the team. I can concur with Bouchette as I would neither be surprised if the Steelers did in fact draft a quarterback with their first round pick. I would go even further to say if the right player fell, they would be willing to trade up to get him.

But for the Pittsburgh Steelers to draft a quarterback that high, it would come down to their current quarterback. If Ben Roethlisberger can convince the Steelers front office he is absolutely the guy to lead the team to a championship in the 2021 league year, then I can see the Steelers delay the inevitable drafting of a quarterback for at least another year.

However, If Kevin Colbert and company see the writing on the wall for Roethlisberger and the old guard of this team, the Steelers could begin the prepping for the next era of Steelers football. We already know the Steelers do not start rookies, at least not right away, and the 2022 quarterback class leaves much to be desired. So the team may see the value in drafting someone this year who's biggest knock is a lack of experience.

If the Steelers do in fact decide to go quarterback in the draft, they will have three real avenues to go about it. The following are the most likely scenarios:

No. 1 - They stay at 24 and draft Alabamaís Mac Jones.

No. 2 - They wait to select Floridaís Kyle Trask in the second round.

No. 3 - They trade up into the first round for North Dakota stateís Trey Lance..

It is also possible the Steelers become players in the 2022 quarterback carousel, which has become a yearly affair in the NFL. The team may see their championship window is still open if they add an experienced veteran to the fold.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...lance-jones-qb
    1.24 Najee Harris RB Alabama
    2.55 Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma
    3.87 Spencer Brown OT N Iowa
    4.128 Kary Vincent Jr CB LSU
    4.140 Tony Fields II ILB W Virginia
    6.216 Shaka Toney OLB Penn St
    7.245 Divine Deablo S Va Tech
    7.254 John Bates TE Boise St

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The Steelers will draft a QB in the first and I'm quite sure about it. Any team that never believes in rebuilding is a prime example to draft this year and be ready next year with or without Ben.. Regardless of what any beat writer says, I'm pretty sure of it.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

My hunch after three is gone, they will move up and get the next.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think the Steelers FO may have more faith in Mason than the fans..

wouldn’t be surprised if we waited another year.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am sure the Steelers keep all their options open in free agency and the draft.

The good thing is that the organization still has options to remain competitive next season. They have a lot work to do though.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't see us moving up for a QB in the coming draft.

Next year, if we finish somewhere in the middle to the bottom third of the pack, and we don't have to move up as far, that's when I would expect us to make an attempt to get a franchise QB (if we're going to).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I don't see us moving up for a QB in the coming draft.

Next year, if we finish somewhere in the middle to the bottom third of the pack, and we don't have to move up as far, that's when I would expect us to make an attempt to get a franchise QB (if we're going to).
    I think until we are in the top 15 or so we will continue to go with Mason, Haskins or a FA and use our draft on other skill positions and big uglies.

Fans also need to remember a QB drafted in the first doesn’t mean instant franchise QB success.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I think the Steelers FO may have more faith in Mason than the fans..

wouldn’t be surprised if we waited another year.
    Rooney Believes Rudolph Has Already Shown He Can Be An NFL Starter

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/ro...n-nfl-starter/
    1.24 Najee Harris RB Alabama
    2.55 Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma
    3.87 Spencer Brown OT N Iowa
    4.128 Kary Vincent Jr CB LSU
    4.140 Tony Fields II ILB W Virginia
    6.216 Shaka Toney OLB Penn St
    7.245 Divine Deablo S Va Tech
    7.254 John Bates TE Boise St

Starter

User Info Menu

A rookie QB with a crappy OL is a recipe for disaster, especially if you don’t get one of the “running” ones.

We may do it, but I would say it’s unlikely at #24. I would prefer to invest picks in OL, TE and RB over QB to help our running game and thereby help whomever we have playing QB next year and beyond.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

In think we will have to trade up for Jones on the first and trask will be gone before our pick in the second.
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.