Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 17 Next Season

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Week 17 Next Season

Nothing to gain. Same as this past season. Do we rest Ben and any of the starters?

I say no. Never been a fan of doing this. Unless someone is coming off injury then everyone should play.

Discuss...

Legend

User Info Menu

My take is to play it like the 3rd pre-season game. The starters play the first half and then turn it over to the depth chart to finish the game. Unless, the starters stunk up the joint then they can play the 2nd half as well to try and correct what went wrong.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

the browns are surging. the rats will be in the mix. the bungles may have a good season depending on JB's knee. We are starting a 39 year old QB who can't run anymore and who's arm is still suspect.

If this were vegas, I wouldn't be putting money down on the steelers being in a position to rest anyone in week 17.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit View Post
    Nothing to gain. Same as this past season. Do we rest Ben and any of the starters?

I say no. Never been a fan of doing this. Unless someone is coming off injury then everyone should play.

Discuss...
    Depends on the situation next year, but I did agree and still do resting Ben this season. I think that we downplay the fact that the team did not have a bye this year. For years we have touted the benefits of the extra week off. A bye week is a complete week off. Go home, relax, play with the kids, rest your weary bones, enjoy life.

If you look at the team from the beginning of the year to the end, take a look at the play of the older guys. At the end of the season, during the losing streak, who were the most commonly named culprits? The O line and the QB. Let's look closer:

Ben 38
    AV 32
    Feiler 28
    Pouncey 31
    Decastro 30
    Okorafor 23

And think about how Cleveland ran through the line with ease:

Tuitt 27
    Heyward 31
    Alualu 33

Not an excuse for failure, but definitely a competitive disadvantage. I think that the older guys did need some time, and even though the Steelers lost, I don't believe that not resting them means a win.

Legend

User Info Menu

Brady supposedly took no 'veterans day' off this season and practiced fully with the team each week. You can't make a great play until you first do it in practice - Chuck Noll

Legend

User Info Menu

Discuss...
    I wouldn’t even let the veterans take the “Vets” day off during the regular season.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Brady supposedly took no 'veterans day' off this season and practiced fully with the team each week. You can't make a great play until you first do it in practice - Chuck Noll
    Brady has something to prove. He would take every snap in preseason if he could.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Brady has something to prove. He would take every snap in preseason if he could.
    These aged QBs all look at him and think 'I can do that too'. But I think Brady has already proven he is an extreme outlier in the QB world. Late 30s seems to be the upper norm in terms of older QBs playing in a SB. That's only based on history and we know the rules have changed to favor keeping the QB in one piece compared to the old days where body-slamming was acceptable

Legend

User Info Menu

Discuss...

Never a fan of that. IMO Ben's history is not great coming out of an off week

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    These aged QBs all look at him and think 'I can do that too'. But I think Brady has already proven he is an extreme outlier in the QB world. Late 30s seems to be the upper norm in terms of older QBs playing in a SB. That's only based on history and we know the rules have changed to favor keeping the QB in one piece compared to the old days where body-slamming was acceptable
    Lebron is a great comparison to Brady.

We see load management being used in the NBA and a lot of guys are taking days off.

Lebron is on some “if I’m healthy, I’m playing”

and I believe this is why everywhere Bron goes a championship follows. He practices hard, plays hard and still has that hunger to get to 6 rings.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?