Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Dwayne Haskins Will Beat Out Mason Rudolph For Backup QB Role?

Legend

User Info Menu

Have to agree that "between the ears" is the most important aspect of a QB. And MR has the edge in that. Right now. Unless Haskins can really turn it around and eat, sleep and breath football from this point on. Haskins has the superior physical tools.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Haskins has more talent than Rudolph. Can Haskins get his head right and develop more consistency is the ?

The Steelers would not had taken a chance on Haskins if there were not any positives or potential.
    Haskins has a much higher ceiling than MR, maybe he just needed a wake up call.

and if he doesn't pan out, we're not the ones that wasted a first round pick on him.
    1.24 Najee Harris RB Alabama / Travis Etienne RB Clemson
    2.55 Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma / Landon Dickerson C Alabama / Quinn Meinerz C Wisconsin-Whitewater
    3.87 Spencer Brown OT N Iowa / James Hudson OT Cincinnati / Stone Forsythe OT Florida
    4.128 Robert Rochell CB Central Arkansas / Kary Vincent Jr CB LSU
    4.140 Patrick Jones II OLB Pitt
    6.216 Tre' McKitty TE Georgia

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Haskins has a much higher ceiling than MR, maybe he just needed a wake up call.
    I keep hearing that. But I'm not convinced yet. No one thought Tom Brady had a very high ceiling out of college. Wimpy-looking pretty boy. Ceilings are misjudged all the time. Whatever ceiling a player has, it has to be displayed in the NFL. Heart and dedication plays a huge part in it.

and if he doesn't pan out, we're not the ones that wasted a first round pick on him.
    True. But we might waste time trying to get him to pan out. That's my only concern with this signing. We're taking a known problem and trying to fix him. Is that the best place for our efforts? Maybe. Hopefully.

Big arm seems to have very little to do with success in the NFL. But I'll give Haskins the benefit of the doubt that the Redskins is an awful place to start a career.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KYPITTFAN View Post
    A simple no. Mason will be the QB after next season.
    I actually see this as a different question. Mason goes in if Ben gets hurt true. Mason most definitely be Ben's backup... THIS season.

I think the Longshot hope is that by season 2 Haskins is getting it together.

If they don't replace from outside, I fully expect Mason and Haskins will have to compete to win the job.

Otherwise, why bother taking the flyer on Haskins in the first place.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I actually see this as a different question. Mason goes in if Ben gets hurt true. Mason most definitely be Ben's backup... THIS season.

I think the Longshot hope is that by season 2 Haskins is getting it together.

If they don't replace from outside, I fully expect Mason and Haskins will have to compete to win the job.

Otherwise, why bother taking the flyer on Haskins in the first place.
    Low risk, possible big reward.

If he doesn't pan out we are out nothing. Good move in my eyes.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I keep hearing that. But I'm not convinced yet. No one thought Tom Brady had a very high ceiling out of college. Wimpy-looking pretty boy. Ceilings are misjudged all the time. Whatever ceiling a player has, it has to be displayed in the NFL. Heart and dedication plays a huge part in it.

True. But we might waste time trying to get him to pan out. That's my only concern with this signing. We're taking a known problem and trying to fix him. Is that the best place for our efforts? Maybe. Hopefully.

Big arm seems to have very little to do with success in the NFL. But I'll give Haskins the benefit of the doubt that the Redskins is an awful place to start a career.
    Yes, but accuracy and the ability to progress through progressions is important to success. He had laser beam accuracy in college, seemed to understand the playbook and cover schemes just fine, and routinely hit 2-3 progressions deep. I think there has been much speculation on Haskins football knowledge but I don't think it was that. I think he didn't put in the work to understand Washingtons playbook. I mean if Ike Hilliard thinks there is something to work with, that certainly means more than the nay sayers here.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Yes, but accuracy and the ability to progress through progressions is important to success. He had laser beam accuracy in college, seemed to understand the playbook and cover schemes just fine, and routinely hit 2-3 progressions deep. I think there has been much speculation on Haskins football knowledge but I don't think it was that. I think he didn't put in the work to understand Washingtons playbook. I mean if Ike Hilliard thinks there is something to work with, that certainly means more than the nay sayers here.
    Haskins made immature mistakes but Washington was also a bad fit. In two seasons, Haskins played for 3 head coaches and 2 different offensive coordinators. It will be interesting to see his development in a more stable environment.

Legend

User Info Menu

........ Ohio State’s Dwayne Haskins is viewed as much less of a sure thing. ........ Nickel is the base defense in the NFL, so a quarterback’s performance against it is important, and Haskins faced five or more defensive backs far less often than Murray, dropping back against nickel or dime on just 63 percent of his pass attempts. And when Haskins was blitzed out of those looks, he was not as adept at delivering on-target passes, with 76.4 percent charted as catchable despite only 6.6 percent traveling 20 yards or more in the air.
    He's going to have to learn to pass against better coverages in the NFL.

Legend

User Info Menu

Dwayne Haskins Thrilled To Be A Steeler, Happy To Learn From Ben Roethlisberger

By Alex Kozora
    Posted on March 10, 2021

Hopefully a fresh start is what QB Dwayne Haskins needs. After flaming out as a first-round pick in Washington, the Pittsburgh Steelers signed him to a futures contract this offseason. He’ll come into Pittsburgh not as the face of the franchise as he was before but as their #3 QB competing for a job.

And Haskins is happy for the second chance.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette talked to Shawn Springs, Haskins’ mentor, who said Haskins is in a good place and ready to restart his career in Pittsburgh.

“He’s happy as a kid in a candy shop,” Springs told the Post-Gazette’s Brian Batko.

Taken 15th overall in 2019, he had a miserable first two years in Washington on and off the field. On it, he’s thrown more interceptions (14) than touchdowns (12) while compiling just a 3-10 record. And off it, he was stripped of his captaincy after violating COVID protocol by attending a strip club.

But as Mike Tomlin says, they don’t care how you got here. And Haskins will have a chance to stick in Pittsburgh, where there’s currently no competition for the #3 job. He’ll get to sit and learn behind a Hall of Famer in Ben Roethlisberger, too.

“I know he’s excited to be behind Ben and learn from Ben…normally, you could learn from a guy like Alex [Smith], but he was in a tough situation, too. Now you get to be behind Ben Roethlisberger. Despite Pittsburgh not going as far as they wanted to last year, I actually thought Ben had a pretty good year.”

Haskins will have the summer to prove he’s worth keeping around. The Steelers are slated to have five preseason games this year, including the Hall of Fame Game against Dallas, which should be his first on-field opportunity to show if he’s made any progress in his game. In our video breakdown of Haskins’ game, we noted he must improve against zone coverage. That’s where the vast majority of his interceptions have come.

Once the regular season starst, if Haskins has made the team, he figures to slot into a reserve role. But he’s also the only QB under contract for the 2022 season. Ben Roethlisberger’s new deal voids five days after the Super Bowl while Mason Rudolph is entering the final year of his contract.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/03/dw...oethlisberger/
    1.24 Najee Harris RB Alabama / Travis Etienne RB Clemson
    2.55 Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma / Landon Dickerson C Alabama / Quinn Meinerz C Wisconsin-Whitewater
    3.87 Spencer Brown OT N Iowa / James Hudson OT Cincinnati / Stone Forsythe OT Florida
    4.128 Robert Rochell CB Central Arkansas / Kary Vincent Jr CB LSU
    4.140 Patrick Jones II OLB Pitt
    6.216 Tre' McKitty TE Georgia

Legend

User Info Menu

Dwayne Haskins Thrilled To Be A Steeler, Happy To Learn From Ben Roethlisberger

By Alex Kozora
    Posted on March 10, 2021

Hopefully a fresh start is what QB Dwayne Haskins needs. After flaming out as a first-round pick in Washington, the Pittsburgh Steelers signed him to a futures contract this offseason. He’ll come into Pittsburgh not as the face of the franchise as he was before but as their #3 QB competing for a job.

Honestly, Ben's probably a good mentor if you're looking for advice on how to move from partying frat boy to more upstanding citizen.